Our Oline has been pretty bad

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Pollard is a speedy back who simply isn't suited to be utilized as a power type at RB. Yet, he's very valuable as a slashing RB who gets good yardage consistently. I surely wouldn't object to seeing Luetke getting more carries, though. He has good power and catches well, too. I'm seeing a player in him with considerable potential. If the staff feels inclined to get more depth at RB, that's fine with me, since It likely wouldn't hurt. :)

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
They looked awful last night, especially run blocking. No push at all and didn't create any lanes or gaps.

Plus the pass blocking looked bad too. Tyron Smith kept getting beat and Dak had pressure all night.

They need to play better!
Chargers have a decent defensive line. Top 5 in sacks. I wouldn’t push the panic button yet on the offensive line. Especially with all of them healthy and back together again for the first time in what feels like a decade. Pollard was run down in the open field by a DB he easily already had 10+ yards on. Never would have happened in the past. He only has 2 broken tackles the entire year even though he’s running the rock much more. Sadly, either injury or body can’t take the pounding, he’s not the same threat as he was last year. I would trade for a power back to support him the same Zeke did before doing anything major to the Line. Or just play more Rico. But stop hitting the head against a brick wall and expecting a different result. Pollard has had enough time to prove himself. Best recommendation for Oline on short notice is same as always - practice technique execution, play together longer to get some cohesion, and get a solid LT or LG (to replace Tyler) ready for Tyron’s next injury.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the OL might very well improve with more experience playing together. It wouldn't really be surprising if the staff opted for another tackle or guard, though, if they feel the need to do so. Let's just see how they work out in the game(s) to come. This FO isn't very likely to trade, unless the need is deemed as being fairly desperate, however. They're pretty conservative in that regard.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They looked awful last night, especially run blocking. No push at all and didn't create any lanes or gaps.

Plus the pass blocking looked bad too. Tyron Smith kept getting beat and Dak had pressure all night.

It’s still one of the best units in football.

That’s how bad NFL lines are.

I agree about the run blocking. The Pollard hate is ridiculous if you actually look at what he’s had to work with.

I feel like Jet sweeps and motions would go a long way.

starfan1

Reaction score

I agree about the run blocking. The Pollard hate is ridiculous if you actually look at what he’s had to work with.

at least your consistant you been saying this for at least 3 years. I disagree but I respect your opinion. This line is far from what we had 14-18 and far from Philly or KC and a few others

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
at least your consistant you been saying this for at least 3 years. I disagree but I respect your opinion. This line is far from what we had 14-18 and far from Philly or KC and a few others
Is KCs line that good or are teams just terrified of Mahomes?

I remember how bad our offensive line looked with Drew Bledsoe then when Romo stepped in the whole thing looked different.

A QB like Mahomes just changes everything around him.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I remember how bad our offensive line looked with Drew Bledsoe then when Romo stepped in the whole thing looked different.

Funny. Been thinking about the same thing and Dak. I do remember that year and everything about the offense just clicking when Romo came in. It clicked somewhat last week, so hoping it continues.

starfan1

Reaction score

I think KC has one of the top lines in the league. I believe Drew Bledsoe was a statue and it was time for a change but I also think it didnt hurt that terrell owens and Romo getting chemistry and Leanoard Davis didnt hurt things either. 2007 was a magical year I cant remember i thought Tony came in in 2006 on a monday night game part way through the season but i could be wrong

Mahomes is magical for sure. I think too many people look at him and dont realize he is the exception and not the norm. Even he needs help though

Creeper

Reaction score
I am in the process of reviewing the Chargers game, from the telecast, and from what I can see so far is fixable to a certain extent.

The big problem in the run game is the Downfield blocking. It sucks. The TEs are not holding their blocks, assuming they get to their block. The offensive linemen who do get out front miss. For example, there is one play where they get the ball to Pollard on the right side. Steele and Tyler Smith are out in front of him, Both linemen run downfield and block no one. Pollard gets about 7 yards but with two blocks he could have gotten a lot more, maybe even scored. Its not that Steele and Smith missed. They didn't pick anyone up at all! And they were too far ahead of Pollard for him to just follow them. On another play where Pollard got some yards on a pitch outside, Biadasz is slow getting downfield and fails to cut off the eventual tackler. For running plays to work everybody had to do their job or the play fails.

I think they can clean this bup by looking at the film and making an effort to be where they are supposed to be.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Its a top ten OL if they kept such metrics, I kid and they do keep OL stats, you would be surprised when you look at how bad OLs are accross the board.
Oh how you know that I love those top ten lists....lol

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the OL might very well improve with more experience playing together. It wouldn't really be surprising if the staff opted for another tackle or guard, though, if they feel the need to do so. Let's just see how they work out in the game(s) to come. This FO isn't very likely to trade, unless the need is deemed as being fairly desperate, however. They're pretty conservative in that regard.
more experience playing together? Biadasz, Tyron, Steele, Martin have been together more than 4 years. Tyler is new and this is his second year.

I think the offensive scheme and blocking scheme sucks.

quickccc

Reaction score
Might help if we had a running back. Pollard is what I and others said he would be: A complimentary back that can’t handle 25 carries/game. He’s not and never will be an RB1. I like Pollard and followed him in Memphis. He’s just not that guy.
We do .. in fact we have a Pro Bowl RB.

He could be THE guy, if we had the right coaching staff for him.
Little that same coach staff effect is also what is happening with Brandin Cooks here.

But some here don't want a splashy RB or splash scheme. they want bell cow as to that's what they are piggy-back riding what others are saying the same .. or they dunno to anything else but bell cow, from Emmitt, Murray, Zeke of the past.

Pollard played with the same OL guys as last year , played under a different OL coach and a different run scheme,
and he was frequently displaying big play explosive plays throughout the season .. now with a coach that wants to
him to be a pounder bell cow, he's been made a crippled mortal.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Give you a list? Off the top of my head:

- Christian McCaffery
- Josh Jacob
- Derrick Henry

Plus the other half dozen or so that get 17+ carries/game, something Pollard will never get.

As I said, Pollard can’t be counted on to get 2-3 yards between the tackles. That’s what a ‘featured’ RB should be able to do. He’s simply not big enough for that role and he isn’t fast or shifty enough to consistently produce outside the tackles. This isn’t new intel.

Will he have an occasional 100 yard game. Yes. Is he a bell cow RB. NO.
Jacob's has looked similar to Pollard this year

CWR

Reaction score
Here we go with the o'line excuse again..... :facepalm:

Everyone needs to play better.

How's it an excuse? We had zero run game and TP was getting blasted near the los all night? Unless he's making poor reads and hitting the wrong hole our oline needs to improve.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd love to see a breakdown of inside runs vs. outside runs for Pollard. I'm not criticizing his inside running ability, but his strength is on the edges and in space.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I am in the process of reviewing the Chargers game, from the telecast, and from what I can see so far is fixable to a certain extent.

The big problem in the run game is the Downfield blocking. It sucks. The TEs are not holding their blocks, assuming they get to their block. The offensive linemen who do get out front miss. For example, there is one play where they get the ball to Pollard on the right side. Steele and Tyler Smith are out in front of him, Both linemen run downfield and block no one. Pollard gets about 7 yards but with two blocks he could have gotten a lot more, maybe even scored. Its not that Steele and Smith missed. They didn't pick anyone up at all! And they were too far ahead of Pollard for him to just follow them. On another play where Pollard got some yards on a pitch outside, Biadasz is slow getting downfield and fails to cut off the eventual tackler. For running plays to work everybody had to do their job or the play fails.

I think they can clean this bup by looking at the film and making an effort to be where they are supposed to be.
Biadasz prefers to trail plays so he can recover any fumbles.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Total respect on your post........I think he can be RB1 if the right plays were called to take advantage of his skills. The 25 runs up the middle is so stale and anticipated by our opponents that its mind boggling. Success is keeping the defense guessing MM. Get a clue dude. Outcome would be different also if the o-line would just block Damn really frustrating to watch the o-line under preforming every game for sure.
Facts in the dolphins or 49ers offensive scheme Pollard would be a beast. We run him like he is Zeke.