Our oline is better than we think.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Don't know how good they are but they should get better going forward.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242692

Phil Costa and Ryan Cook -

Costa only got 3 plays, I charted him with two goods and a stalemate. He's a better run blocker than Cook, but Cook is better in pass protection. Costa is strong as hell, and his being shorter than Cook will make him much much better at digging those DTs out of their spots. I honestly have no idea which one of the two will start once Costa is healthy, but they both have positive things they can bring to the game. From his limited snaps, I see massive improvement from Costa, he could be a bull in the running game this year, but it would be hard to use that as justification if he keeps getting pushed back into Romo as much as he did last year. Cook battles to a stalemate almost every run (he had a couple goods) but his pass protection was nearly flawless. This is gonna be an interesting story over the next few weeks.

The Rest of the OL -

I thought they did a very good job, especially the interior guys. Free and Smith struggled at times with Kiwi, Osi, Tuck, and JPP, but I'd like you to point me out a couple of OT's that won't this year. And honestly, if that interior line can create that wall like they did most of the night Wednesday, it will hardly matter how good Free and Smith are. Romo will move around as long as he has room and those edge guys will rarely touch him. Despite what some people say, our "bargain bin" guards were pretty damn good. It's quite possible that this team knew what they were doing when they went after them.

===================================================

I still haven't looked at the All 22 but I trust his opinion over anyone else here. The outcome of the game is telling esp considering all the penalties much of which is on the brand new C (totally forgivable and fixable). It's true we didn't beat them well initially but as the game progressed so did the running game as well as the passing game. Actions speak louder than words.

And a request as a member not a mod. Can u please use the emoticons a little more sparingly. We're running out.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720295 said:
More than enough for what? A championship? The Oline is the weak link of this team. When it becomes a strength, this team will be ready for a championship. We already have two average to bad players in free and costa. The only guy of pro bowl caliber is smith in my opinion. We just signed two career backups to play guard. I think everyone is frustrated with the efforts of Jerry and Garrett to upgrade this line properly.

The fact that you keep arguing despite the proof in pictures is laughable.

Not sure who you are referring to as career backups. Livings has started 48 of 53 games he has been active.

You have taken an all time thumping in this thread and still keep digging deeper. BRavo.

JerryFan

Reaction score
jobberone;4721122 said:
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242692

Phil Costa and Ryan Cook -

Costa only got 3 plays, I charted him with two goods and a stalemate. He's a better run blocker than Cook, but Cook is better in pass protection. Costa is strong as hell, and his being shorter than Cook will make him much much better at digging those DTs out of their spots. I honestly have no idea which one of the two will start once Costa is healthy, but they both have positive things they can bring to the game. From his limited snaps, I see massive improvement from Costa, he could be a bull in the running game this year, but it would be hard to use that as justification if he keeps getting pushed back into Romo as much as he did last year. Cook battles to a stalemate almost every run (he had a couple goods) but his pass protection was nearly flawless. This is gonna be an interesting story over the next few weeks.

The Rest of the OL -

I thought they did a very good job, especially the interior guys. Free and Smith struggled at times with Kiwi, Osi, Tuck, and JPP, but I'd like you to point me out a couple of OT's that won't this year. And honestly, if that interior line can create that wall like they did most of the night Wednesday, it will hardly matter how good Free and Smith are. Romo will move around as long as he has room and those edge guys will rarely touch him. Despite what some people say, our "bargain bin" guards were pretty damn good. It's quite possible that this team knew what they were doing when they went after them.

===================================================

I still haven't looked at the All 22 but I trust his opinion over anyone else here. The outcome of the game is telling esp considering all the penalties much of which is on the brand new C (totally forgivable and fixable). It's true we didn't beat them well initially but as the game progressed so did the running game as well as the passing game. Actions speak louder than words.

And a request as a member not a mod. Can u please use the emoticons a little more sparingly. We're running out.

Awesome post! I think that just about covers it. Horrid huh?

risco

Reaction score
TheCount;4719621 said:
We shall see. I think they'll be good in spots, but I really don't think they'll be "good" down the stretch. If we had a less mobile QB, Wednesday would have been a blood bath. Going to "potential bloodbath" to just "steady" would be acceptable in my eyes, I don't actually expect them to be good though.

But we dont have a less mobile QB- So now that we do- I think the OL will be better than any of us can imagine. Let's revisit this thread during the bye week. It will be interesting to see how much progress the line will have made.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
My feelings about the Oline is that they did their jobs. We only gave up two sacks to the best passrushing Dline in the NFL. Sure, you maybe saying that Romo did everything. But there was very few jailbreaks and in some plays the Oline actually held its own against the passrush.

Are they awful? I don't think so. They sure are gonna get better with the more playing time their gonna get. So I think some our going overboard by saying that this Oline sucks. It doesn't.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
If this offensive line performs well against a non-Giants pass rush and front 4, we may know whether it is the real deal and whether the Giants themselves had a good front 4/front 7 or not.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There were no free running massing hits on Romo that caused serious injury.

I suppose that a step in the right direction.

Romo makes up for a lot of the OL weaknesses. Always has.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jnday;4721084 said:
I have a bad feeling that some eyes are going to get opened the hard way. Then you will see a board meltdown asking why it was allowed to happen knowing that the line was a problem. The rage will continue until draft time and a solid 4th CB is the teams biggest need.

Yes,this is what will happen. The posters who react moderately and who are patient are going to meltdown and become enraged, proving the enraged and melted-down were right to react too soon in the first place. I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

Mr_Bill

Reaction score
CowboyRoy;4720340 said:
LOL........and what is your evidence? Your run pictures with lanes are laughable. Your selective snap shots half a second after the snap before the rush gets there are also laughable. I see you have now wittled your case down to the 4th quarter. At least you admit the first 3 quarters were abysmal.

"Hey they blocked decent on the last driver of the game, so that erases the first 12 drives" :lmao2:

I think its obvious since you are getting lambasted by the majority of the posters on here. Or didnt you notice?

So actual visual evidence of his opinion is 'laughable'?

In other words, Believe what I tell you, not your lying eyes!

Mr_Bill

Reaction score
Mr_Bill;4721325 said:
So actual visual evidence of his opinion is 'laughable'?

In other words, Believe what I tell you, not your lying eyes!

Oh, by the way, if you have any shots of the rush getting there just after InmanRoshi's shots, now would be a good time to provide them.

Mr_Bill

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4720919 said:
Yeah, particularly when one of the two sacks came of Witten blocking JPP one on one. I'm hoping the act of using a tight end to single block one of the Top 3 pass rushers in the NFL is an anamoly that we don't see re-occur often through the season.

IMHO, Tyson's problems with the false starts mainly come down to confidence. He's trying to cheat the snap because he's guarding an All Pro defensive end in a noisy environment and he's not comfortable in his footwork on the left side. Once he gets some confidence through proven performance, and the technique becomes instinctual/2nd nature, I don't think he'll have continued problems with false starts. He showed no signs last year that he was Flozell Adams Pt 2 last year.

I have seen it mentioned that the Cowboys were blocking toward the center a lot in that game, with guards helping out the center and tackles helping out the guards. That would explain why Witten was left alone on JPP, and help explain why the center of the line mostly kept the Giants out of the pocket throughout the game.

Soopcooler

Reaction score
You have to realize that Romo has been running around like that since his college days. The scrambling has more to do with Romo's style of play than it does the offensive line. Throw Orton, a player who can't scramble, in there on some of those same plays and I bet that ball will be out so fast. It will be a different type of ball game but no less than what Romo is doing currently.

JerryFan

Reaction score
Still waiting for CowboyRoy to show back up and share his vast knowledge of football. Oh wait, he's prolly taking notes from the media and then he will be back.

burmafrd

Reaction score
JerryFan;4721355 said:
Still waiting for CowboyRoy to show back up and share his vast knowledge of football. Oh wait, he's prolly taking notes from the media and then he will be back.

still waiting for something intelligent from you

burmafrd

Reaction score
Soopcooler;4721329 said:
You have to realize that Romo has been running around like that since his college days. The scrambling has more to do with Romo's style of play than it does the offensive line. Throw Orton, a player who can't scramble, in there on some of those same plays and I bet that ball will be out so fast. It will be a different type of ball game but no less than what Romo is doing currently.

wow.

just wow

JerryFan

Reaction score
burmafrd;4721372 said:
still waiting for something intelligent from you

Well you and the hate crew have been owned in this thread especially your lil buddy CowboyRoy. I haven't been the one running my mouth about something I have no clue about. All I did stand in IR'S corner cause well he was correct and proved so.

dallasdave

Reaction score
187beatdown;4719628 said:
Romo was running for his life. But that's probably the best dline in football.
Good point, ny has great line, that's see how Dallas offensive line does against the Seahawks.

hmcorp

Reaction score
dallasdave;4721541 said:
Good point, ny has great line, that's see how Dallas offensive line does against the Seahawks.

the best D line in football is the 49ers. Seahawks have a good defense too. just a bad bad offense.