Our oline is better than we think.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But "QB hurries" are "hurries" no matter if the QB is an "escape artist" or not.

The Giants gave up far more "hurries" than what the Cowboy Oline did.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Contrary to hysterical messageboard groupthink, we were objectively a middle of the road pass protection team last year for anyone who does the research and watched the games analytically. It shouldn't be a surprise to see us improve given that we upgraded both guard spots. It was by far the biggest deficiency from last year's group. Probably a reason why Kosier is watching the games from his living room couch.

aikemirv

Reaction score
187beatdown;4719628 said:
Romo was running for his life. But that's probably the best dline in football.

He was, and for Romo to be at his best he needs room in front of him to step up or get out of the pocket. With his height, pressure up the middle is the worst thing that can happen for him IMO. I thought the middle of the line gave him that and he avoided the edge rushes.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
The OL looked better in the 2nd half but they still have a long way to go.

They need to clean up the penalties. That's what will end up killing us. Too many driving killing penalties.

burmafrd

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4719740 said:
Contrary to hysterical messageboard groupthink, we were objectively a middle of the road pass protection team last year for anyone who does the research and watched the games analytically. It shouldn't be a surprise to see us improve given that we upgraded both guard spots. It was by far the biggest deficiency from last year's group. Probably a reason why Kosier is watching the games from his living room couch.

Yeah Romo ending up in the hospital and the boys having 19 sacks in December is middle of the road.

Another used car salesman

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;4719752 said:
Yeah Romo ending up in the hospital and the boys having 19 sacks in December is middle of the road.

Another used car salesman

Any QB could get injured and others took more hits and bigger hits this weekend than Romo did Wed. Aikman played behind a great line and yet concussion played a big part in him retiring?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4719759 said:
Any QB could get injured and others took more hits and bigger hits this weekend than Romo did Wed. Aikman played behind a great line and yet concussion played a big part in him retiring?

And giving up 19 sacks in what is probably the most important month of the season?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we know, the OL is a work in progress. It will take another 3 or 4 games to know, or people will think they know, in their own opinions how good or bad or mediocre the are.

also, some of Romo's roll outs were designed to do that, but he did have to improvise on plays. I would need to watch it again, maybe make some notes on how many.
I didn't record it. Maybe it will be on NFL replay.

Also from another perspective. I heard one analysts, can't remember who. He said, some of the play were a designed rolling pocket, seemed Romo was scrambling, but he really wasn't. Again, some plays he had to.

Oh, yeah, how did all the other QB's / OL's look....how often they went out of pocket.....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4719759 said:

Exactly.

Plus this is a different season... Different offensive line... Different coach.

To compare to last season seems like an exercise in futility.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;4719763 said:
And giving up 19 sacks in what is probably the most important month of the season?

I don't know how many sacks we will give up this year, This is not the same OL that we had last year so how the hell do you know what they will or will not do. Other QB's took bigger hits than Romo did does that mean every OL in the NFL sucks? This group played their 1st game together as a unit this past wed how will they progress? I guess we will all find out but making these stupid comments on a daily basis it pathetic.

burmafrd

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4719766 said:
Exactly.

If it is not better then it is.

Keeping putting your head in the sand.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4719771 said:
If it is not better then it is.

Keeping putting your head in the sand.

And how do you know?

I mean really... how do you know that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4719766 said:
Exactly.

Right. No one is claiming them to be the next great line but this constant the sky is falling from those who could not coach a pee wee football is is rediculas. Callahan has a lot of work to do with these guys to build them into a good unit. Will he? I don't know

burmafrd

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4719772 said:
And how do you know?

I mean really... how do you know that?

And how do you know our Line is better than it was?

You have no evidence to show change

So until you do previous evidence which shows the line was poor remains all there is

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4719777 said:

So until you do previous evidence which shows the line was poor remains all there is

The way you try to rationalize stuff... Is downright scary.

Different players...

Different coach...

Hello?

Anyone home?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
After people made fools of themselves running around like maniacs all offseason screaming that this is the worst offensive line in the history of football and that only beloved Davy Wavy DeCastro-poo could remedy all problems, do you really think they're going just slump their shoulders and say "My Bad?". Of course not. They're going to continue to throw out hyperbole and say the offensive line would have given up a bajillion sacks if Romo had just stood in place in the pocket (because, you know, that's what every other NFL QB does).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
burmafrd;4719777 said:

We don't. That's kind of the point.

It's going to take a few games to know what we have.

Our tackles struggled more than our interior against NYG. Who would've thought that?

burmafrd

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4719781 said:
The way you try to rationalize stuff... Is downright scary.

Different players...

Different coach...

Hello?

Anyone home?

and you have no evidence to claim improvement but try and act like you do

another used car salesman trying to sell a lemon

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4719785 said:
and you have no evidence to claim improvement but try and act like you do

another used car salesman trying to sell a lemon

OK.

This offensive line gave up 2 sacks Wednesday night.

The one last year gave up 19 in 5 games in December.

Let's see 2 x 5 (see if you can stay with me on this) = 10 sacks.

Looks like improvement to me.

There's my evidence.

Where's yours that they still suck?

I'm waiting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4719613 said:
I'm sure others have drawn this conclusion but no one has posted. Here is my thought: We played against the absolute best d-line in the league and ran all over them and gave up two sacks. With our center going down on the first series and the players never playing together.Fast forward 2-3 weeks, against lesser competition and we may be looking at a good offensive line for the first time in years.

LOL.......absolutely the complete wrong analysis. If you came away from that game thinking our Oline is better then we thought, you simply werent watching. The ONLY reason they only had two sacks and the ONLY reason there werent 15 sacks is because Romo is as good as it gets at extending the play and running for his life away from pressure.

Need we mention how many pathetic falst start and holding penalties they all got? It was like 3 per drive.

We definitely didnt "run all over them". Murray turned a 6 yard loss into a 50 yard run which inflated the stats. In the first half he had like 15 yards total.

But...........what you can hope for is that Costa continues to ride the bench. We can only pray that he gets hurt on the third play of EVERY game or doesnt play at all. If that happens and if this current line can stay healthy, they will improve with continuity as the season goes on. That being said, the play of the oline last week was a 2 on a scale of 1-10. If we are lucky, they could improve to a 5. That would be incredible. When they get up to a 7, and the defense becomes top 5, thats when this team has a chance to win a SB, IMHO.