Our receiving core? Do they scare anybody?

Aven8

Reaction score
We need Rico to be what he looked like he could be in camp last year
That solves one big issue

I still can't decide if I'm buying the concussion thing. Very strange, considering his tweets never mentioned any of that after the season. Looks like we stowed him. I would have put the guy on the field immediately after he was cleared. But 82 isn't having that......

conner01

Reaction score
I still can't decide if I'm buying the concussion thing. Very strange, considering his tweets never mentioned any of that after the season. Looks like we stowed him. I would have put the guy on the field immediately after he was cleared. But 82 isn't having that......
I have the utmost respect for 82 but if Rico can do what he flashed in camp then 82 will be sitting a lot next year
He won’t like it but I suspect he will handle it with class and do what he can to help the kid

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Everyone & their mother and grandmother here expect a WR to be drafted early in the next draft.

Our current WRs aren't getting open nor being especially productive. Be smart. Draft one or two.

Let's also hope the coaches and their schemes prove somewhat more effective in 2018. :thumbup:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish I felt better about the explanations I've read about the offensive problems. Dez has a good point that it doesn't make sense that all the WRs got bad at the same time.

Part of the problem was the pressure, and Dak playing poorly in multiple late-season games as a result. But that doesn't explain everything. I don't believe the scheme got bad all of a sudden, as we've been productive offensively for years now, and we were productive in the first half of the season. The same thing goes for play calling, since nothing materially changed. We had a few more drops this season--especially Dez--but not enough to matter. I've always hated that we lack a speed receiver who can draw coverages, but that's not anything new.

It sounds like there was some dysfunction in the receiving room, listening to Butler tell it. And then there have been rumors that Dez and Dooley were on the outs. Maybe it's a simple as too much stuff that's got nothing to do with football surrounding the Cowboys again, but I hate to stand pat on just that.

I think we fix the OT problem, bring in a speed guy who's capable of replacing Dez in a couple of years and who can change the way we're defended, and then get the right hire at WR coach (that might be our most important hire, after OL coach this season). I'd rather spend resources fixing the damn defense and not worrying about the offense so much right now, honestly. The guys we have there pretty much need to pull their own weight. If we can bring in a vet somewhere to push Williams or Noah Brown or whoever it is, fine.

I do think Switzer might develop, too. I like him.

Aven8

Reaction score
I have the utmost respect for 82 but if Rico can do what he flashed in camp then 82 will be sitting a lot next year
He won’t like it but I suspect he will handle it with class and do what he can to help the kid

I do as well, respect I mean, but from what I've heard he's not coming off the field. The coaches are wimps, and apparently that runs throughout the organization since with what they just did with Rod and Eberflus.

conner01

Reaction score
I do as well, respect I mean, but from what I've heard he's not coming off the field. The coaches are wimps, and apparently that runs throughout the organization since with what they just did with Rod and Eberflus.
I could be wrong but I think it’s more been we have no one better
He will still play but Rico has a chance of cutting into that playing time
If he sees Rico is for real I think it will go ok
He’s not gonna like it and no player would but I think he is smart enough to realize the end is near and I expect next year to be his last
I hope Rico can show enough that it actually becomes an issue
He looked mighty explosive in camp but we shall see

Jipper

Reaction score
i honestly think if our play calling was a bit less predictable and less vanilla that our wr's could be pretty solid...butler has the speed to take the top off, dez can work well in crossing and jump balls, beasly in the slot and williams is solid on the outside....problem is that we just dont use them the right way.

the drops are a problem too...the seperation is partly on them and partly on the defense being able to sit on routes because it is pretty easy to anticipate.

conner01

Reaction score
Butler should leave because he's good enough to at least be a #2 receiver and the coaching staff doesn't value him enough. When he got opportunities he shined.
There is a reason he’s soon to be on his 3rd team
Talented player who need to work on his concentration

conner01

Reaction score
i honestly think if our play calling was a bit less predictable and less vanilla that our wr's could be pretty solid...butler has the speed to take the top off, dez can work well in crossing and jump balls, beasly in the slot and williams is solid on the outside....problem is that we just dont use them the right way.

the drops are a problem too...the seperation is partly on them and partly on the defense being able to sit on routes because it is pretty easy to anticipate.
We don’t scheme guys open, Dak hasn’t learned to tell who will be open before they get open
Too many of dez plays are just jump balls yet his strength is his physical style which to me lends itself to more crossing routes and slants
Just get the ball in his hands rather than 50/50 jump balls

Aven8

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think it’s more been we have no one better
He will still play but Rico has a chance of cutting into that playing time
If he sees Rico is for real I think it will go ok
He’s not gonna like it and no player would but I think he is smart enough to realize the end is near and I expect next year to be his last
I hope Rico can show enough that it actually becomes an issue
He looked mighty explosive in camp but we shall see

I heard Broaddus say back in December when Ben and Skin asked why Switzer hadn't played that much on offense, he didn't pause and said because Witten won't come off the field.

conner01

Reaction score
I heard Broaddus say back in December when Ben and Skin asked why Switzer hadn't played that much on offense, he didn't pause and said because Witten won't come off the field.
I think Switzer didn’t play more on offense because he took so much time to get the mental part of the return game down
Broaddus May know something, who knows but I don’t have confidence Linny could figure out a way to use Beasley and Switzer together

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
With TWill leaving possibly and Brice Butler almost assuredly..

Examining Dez and Beasley and Witten and their success on the field in 2017..

What do we need to do?

Who do we keep and how do we improve?

We just overhauled the secondary and added Taco on the DL.

And I know Zeke is a factor in the passing game..

but he's out of the conversation..for now.

To me we have no speed at the position and declining catches, drops and holding penalties by the WRs and TEs was definately up.

How do we clean this up?

Do the Cowboys even see this as a problem?

I have heard nothing on this issue at all.

What do you guys see.?
Mediocre group of recievers.

ghostdog

Reaction score
The short answer is no. But the receivers are only half the equation. No one is afraid of your QB. They dare him that beat them. And this year he couldn't. Play action should be a weapon. Until Dak can fix his issues receivers are the least of your problems.

Aven8

Reaction score
I think Switzer didn’t play more on offense because he took so much time to get the mental part of the return game down
Broaddus May know something, who knows but I don’t have confidence Linny could figure out a way to use Beasley and Switzer together

I don't either. Man I hope they change this scheme up somehow this offseason! If I see another button hook I might puke!

kskboys

Reaction score
I wish I felt better about the explanations I've read about the offensive problems. Dez has a good point that it doesn't make sense that all the WRs got bad at the same time.

Part of the problem was the pressure, and Dak playing poorly in multiple late-season games as a result. But that doesn't explain everything. I don't believe the scheme got bad all of a sudden, as we've been productive offensively for years now, and we were productive in the first half of the season. The same thing goes for play calling, since nothing materially changed. We had a few more drops this season--especially Dez--but not enough to matter. I've always hated that we lack a speed receiver who can draw coverages, but that's not anything new.

It sounds like there was some dysfunction in the receiving room, listening to Butler tell it. And then there have been rumors that Dez and Dooley were on the outs. Maybe it's a simple as too much stuff that's got nothing to do with football surrounding the Cowboys again, but I hate to stand pat on just that.

I think we fix the OT problem, bring in a speed guy who's capable of replacing Dez in a couple of years and who can change the way we're defended, and then get the right hire at WR coach (that might be our most important hire, after OL coach this season). I'd rather spend resources fixing the damn defense and not worrying about the offense so much right now, honestly. The guys we have there pretty much need to pull their own weight. If we can bring in a vet somewhere to push Williams or Noah Brown or whoever it is, fine.

I do think Switzer might develop, too. I like him.
Yeah, I've been struggling w/ that myself.

I think it's mostly that other teams adjusted and started doubling Beas and Witten, and we didn't make them pay. Missed and dropped passes. I think our scheme, and poor/no adjustments also have a lot to do w/ it.

I also think that the combo of WR's on our receiver corps doesn't make sense, and doesn't mesh well.
IMO, Romo helped hide these problems.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't either. Man I hope they change this scheme up somehow this offseason! If I see another button hook I might puke!
Having a run game that’s predictable as for as where it’s ran is pretty common
Having a passing game where you one runs 3 or so routes 75% of the time makes a cb’s life pretty easy
Beasley runs the same routes all the time though with his size he is somewhat limited
Witten just runs out and turns around
I’m no football genius but I think even I could see a way to change that up some