Our receiving core? Do they scare anybody?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I've been struggling w/ that myself.

I think it's mostly that other teams adjusted and started doubling Beas and Witten, and we didn't make them pay. Missed and dropped passes. I think our scheme, and poor/no adjustments also have a lot to do w/ it.

I also think that the combo of WR's on our receiver corps doesn't make sense, and doesn't mesh well.
IMO, Romo helped hide these problems.

The thing about the scheme and adjustments thing, though, is that we went from being in the top 5 or so in points/offensive series to completely unable to score. And we've been running the same schemes and making the same adjustments forever (at least, the personnel responsible for those things didn't change). Why would they suddenly stop working?

I agree on the types of WRs we've got. First of all, it seemed like Dak had chemistry with Beasley and Butler but none with TWill or Dez for some reason. I don't know why Butler didn't get more snaps.

And Switzer, even, seemed to perform when given opportunities. If they're doubling Beasley, why not take advantage of what Switzer gives you?

And we don't run rub routes or seem to like slants all that much, despite having players who should be ideal for them.

There's a lot of stuff I don't love about the offense. Generally, I let it slide because, like I said, we're normally productive. When it goes in the tank, though, that's a lot harder to do.

Aven8

Reaction score
Having a run game that’s predictable as for as where it’s ran is pretty common
Having a passing game where you one runs 3 or so routes 75% of the time makes a cb’s life pretty easy
Beasley runs the same routes all the time though with his size he is somewhat limited
Witten just runs out and turns around
I’m no football genius but I think even I could see a way to change that up some

Even without the all 22 I can see when Dez is not in the play. He loafs and stops and the corner stops with him. Drives me nuts!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
*THIS*

#9 ( for the most part& of late) NEVER seemed to struggle in making do& making the enemy pay with those same guys he had available, man, if he could've worked with #21&#19 some,IT would've been something to see!,,,and I'm thinking #88 would've been sent to the sidelines if he wasn't catching balls ROMO dropped into his hands.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Teams were really double teaming Dez in the 2nd half of the season. So he was scaring somebody. Beasley was getting open but either Dak would not find him, the lanes would be clogged up because the spacing in our scheme is too narrow or the protection would not hold up. T-Will was not wanted by anybody in the offseason and that's why we got him 'cheap' according to the experts.

I would search for a legitimate X-receiver in the draft in the first round. Dez got really lazy with his catching technique. Hopefully this will motivate Dez and get some of the double teams off him and stretch the field vertically and allow Beasley more room to run underneath. We need to move on from Witten. If Rico could make that progression and is healthy, it would have a massive impact on the passing game because a TE that can stretch the field would work so well with Dak and help Beasley as well.

I still think a lot of this could be resolved with better coaching. Better spacing in the schematics, less use of curl and hitch routes, more plays ran from different formations would go a long way. But, with Garrett...I'll believe it when I see it.

YR
First round you say?
Oh,Man! that's over ambitious & in the opposite direction IMO,,, YAZUKA-R

maybe if Jerry could bring in to training camp somebody like,,,,:huh:,,, heck,,,say VENUS DE' MILO
& set her out on the field,,, #88 could catch a frickin' CLUE,,,o_O

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Where is T-Will going? He just signed a new contract.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
The thing about the scheme and adjustments thing, though, is that we went from being in the top 5 or so in points/offensive series to completely unable to score. And we've been running the same schemes and making the same adjustments forever (at least, the personnel responsible for those things didn't change). Why would they suddenly stop working?

I agree on the types of WRs we've got. First of all, it seemed like Dak had chemistry with Beasley and Butler but none with TWill or Dez for some reason. I don't know why Butler didn't get more snaps.

And Switzer, even, seemed to perform when given opportunities. If they're doubling Beasley, why not take advantage of what Switzer gives you?

And we don't run rub routes or seem to like slants all that much, despite having players who should be ideal for them.

There's a lot of stuff I don't love about the offense. Generally, I let it slide because, like I said, we're normally productive. When it goes in the tank, though, that's a lot harder to do.
Wow. You even defend the adjustments we "make". Are you sure your bowtie isn't too tight?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow. You even defend the adjustments we "make". Are you sure your bowtie isn't too tight?

Ha! Good one! Bow tie. Too tight. Lol! Tell your friends you said that one, ok? It was kind of awesome.

I wasn’t defending the adjustments, if you hadn’t missed the point. I said the adjustments are among the things that have been constant while production dipped. If the adjustments didn’t change but scoring did, the issue is probably something else.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Not without a dominant running game to take the weight off the shoulders of Dak. He was thrust into the starting role and more than delivered when the health of the team and Zeke were on the field. Dak needs more time to mature before he can carry the weight of the team when the chips are down.

Is Dez a top 10? Yes. Is he elite? No. We need Dak to mature and we need better depth at OL. Zeke needs to stay out of trouble.

DakBringMeBack

Reaction score
Not at all. We need a true home run hitter that can take the top of the defense out at WR, first round.

Take the TE Andrews from Oklahoma. Then.... you have an offense that will REALLY cause problems.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Biggest problem with the WRs is these coaches. When Scott has Dez all wants to do is force it to Dez like he did Megatron. When Dez ain’t there he gets a little more inventive with the routes. Yes Dez has declined but I still think he could be a threat if used properly. Dak likes short stuff fine have Dez run short stuff and get his yards with yac he is a big though physical WR let him get dirty. I think the problem is creativity or the lack of it.

Nashville_Cowboy

Reaction score
Not in the least....opponents know they only have to defend the first 15 yards - nothings going deeper than that. 3rd down conversions? They just play 2 yards short of the marker - that's where we'll usually be.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Interesting thought.

Maybe this year it's overhaul the WR corp.

Like they did with the DB's last year.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
We need Rico to be what he looked like he could be in camp last year
That solves one big issue

Also Dak and Rico need to establish a trust me to catch it mentality. Like Troy and Irvin / Troy and Novacek. I remember a quote from Troy where he said I couldn’t see him but I knew he would be where I was throwing the ball too

Witten serves that role now but rarely for anything down the middle or beyond the sticks

Also the Aikman comment summarizes the Garrett philosophy and that gives the DBs an advantage as they know our route pattern and where the ball is coming too.

Beasley was effective last year as he would look like he was running a certain route but change direction quickly to another. Defenses saw that and bracket covered him to take away that second move

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I wish I felt better about the explanations I've read about the offensive problems. Dez has a good point that it doesn't make sense that all the WRs got bad at the same time.

Part of the problem was the pressure, and Dak playing poorly in multiple late-season games as a result. But that doesn't explain everything. I don't believe the scheme got bad all of a sudden, as we've been productive offensively for years now, and we were productive in the first half of the season. The same thing goes for play calling, since nothing materially changed. We had a few more drops this season--especially Dez--but not enough to matter. I've always hated that we lack a speed receiver who can draw coverages, but that's not anything new.

It sounds like there was some dysfunction in the receiving room, listening to Butler tell it. And then there have been rumors that Dez and Dooley were on the outs. Maybe it's a simple as too much stuff that's got nothing to do with football surrounding the Cowboys again, but I hate to stand pat on just that.

I think we fix the OT problem, bring in a speed guy who's capable of replacing Dez in a couple of years and who can change the way we're defended, and then get the right hire at WR coach (that might be our most important hire, after OL coach this season). I'd rather spend resources fixing the damn defense and not worrying about the offense so much right now, honestly. The guys we have there pretty much need to pull their own weight. If we can bring in a vet somewhere to push Williams or Noah Brown or whoever it is, fine.

I do think Switzer might develop, too. I like him.

Nice comments

Londonboy

Reaction score
Scares Me the amount of cap space We've got tied up in WR's when We're supposedly a running team.
Scares Me the lack of bang We're getting for those bucks.
Scares Me how little threat We have at TE.
I'm just a big ol' scaredy-cat.