Our receiving core? Do they scare anybody?

DFWJC

Reaction score
You have real problems advancing deep in playoffs if youre missing a couple of these
Good or great QB
Good oline
Pass rush
A secondary that can at least somwhat cover

The point is that Ive never known a team that didnt make it due to lack of WRs IF they have a good or great QB.
Having better WRs than have would be nice, but no way is that a huge concern unless you think Dak cant do his job with a dominant line and RB

I do think we may try to upgrade though

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You know what I'd do as the HC/OC of this team. Stop trotting a 35 year old TE on the field 90% of the plays believing that he's still a great blocker. To me Hanna is just as good at blocking as Witt TODAY. Not 4 years ago maybe but today. Witt would be on the field as a possession receiver, 3rd and 4-6 yards, need a first down guy. I might even use my FB a little more.Then I'd draft a stud TE who can get beyond 4-6 yards. I'll be amazed if Rico is that guy. Heck I saw Hanna make some decent down field plays in the last 2-3 games. We actually started using the guy. Now in the two TE set's that's a different story it's Hanna and Witt

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
You have real problems advancing deep in playoffs if youre missing a couple of these
Good or great QB
Good oline
Pass rush
A secondary that can at least somwhat cover

The point is that Ive never known a team that didnt make it due to lack of WRs IF they have a good or great QB.
Having better WRs than have would be nice, but no way is that a huge concern unless you think Dak cant do his job with a dominant line and RB

I do think we may try to upgrade though

Then we should be able to advance to the play offs shouldn't we. Fix the damned LT conundrum when Smith is out. Add a DT or DE who can add to the pass rush and trust that the secondary gets better with experience. We have the good QB. Should be good to go in 2018. Now, if you want to advance deep into the playoffs you need a team that can capitalize on the other teams mistakes. They bring a knife, we bring a pistol. They bring a pistol we bring an AK 47. Problem is we make the mistakes and other teams capitalize. We call "spike" with a minute and 2 timeouts left, GB capitalizes. Great teams do that. Notice how not capitalizing on mistakes cost the Falcons in the loss to the Eaglets

We cannot have sure interceptions go right through our DB's hands. We cannot have receivers have catchable balls that go right through their hands into a DB's hands. We can't miss FG's. We can't have drives stall because of bad penalties. We can't muff punts. Great teams take advantage of that and when you get deep in the playoffs they're all good teams

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Then we should be able to advance to the play offs shouldn't we. Fix the damned LT conundrum when Smith is out. Add a DT or DE who can add to the pass rush and trust that the secondary gets better with experience. We have the good QB. Should be good to go in 2018. Now, if you want to advance deep into the playoffs you need a team that can capitalize on the other teams mistakes. They bring a knife, we bring a pistol. They bring a pistol we bring an AK 47. Problem is we make the mistakes and other teams capitalize. We call "spike" with a minute and 2 timeouts left, GB capitalizes. Great teams do that. Notice how not capitalizing on mistakes cost the Falcons in the loss to the Eaglets

We cannot have sure interceptions go right through our DB's hands. We cannot have receivers have catchable balls that go right through their hands into a DB's hands. We can't miss FG's. We can't have drives stall because of bad penalties. We can't muff punts.
Yes, they should.

If you think Dak can be Dak 2016, then absolutely yes.
This group should be able to win at least one playoff game.

ALL teams occassionally miss FGs, muff punts, drop passeses, throw picks, make dumb penalties...ALL teams. No exceptions.
But you have to do it less than others.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yes, they should.

If you think Dak can be Dak 2016, then absolutely yes.
This group should be able to win at least one playoff game.

ALL teams occassionally miss FGs, muff punts, drop passeses, throw picks, make dumb penalties...ALL teams. No exceptions.
But you have to do it less than others.

I think Dak is a good young QB that's what I think. And you're right all teams make them, great teams capitalize on them. The catch that went through their WR's hands is caught by my DB. The pass that went through their DB's hands is a gift and another shot downfield. Their muffs are turned into 7 not 3. They make a mistake, make 'em pay

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What's the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good". Not me. You make your own luck. It's called hard work, diligence, eye on the prize. If a ball goes through my WR's hands and bounces off a DB's helmet that's luck. If my guy muffs a punt and it bounces off three players before my team come up with it, that's luck. Drives that stall because of penalties and end up being a punt or FG is poor execution. Watch how many times the Pats have those kind of dumb penalties. Their players either execute or Bellichic executes them.

Section446

Reaction score
Unfortunately, outside of Zeke, we don't have anyone that defensive coordinators have to plan for. Both Witten and Dez need their walking papers so we can get some explosion in this offense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dez has how many consecutive games without 100 yards?

Like 23:facepalm:

Yea, he and body catcher really scare teams:laugh:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I put the failures in the following order: coaches, WRs, QB.

They're all playing a part, but the biggest part is played by the coaches.
I don't understand putting WR failures before the QB's. QBs make or break WRs, if the QB isn't consistent the WRs won't be consistent. Teams have simply exposed Dak, the only time he is consistently accurate is when he is on the move. There have been times where he couldn't hit a stationary target between the numbers this year. That scares me way more than WR getting separation.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
They would scare a lot of people if our QB could throw the ball downfield accurately or lead them where they could gain YAC...

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't understand putting WR failures before the QB's. QBs make or break WRs, if the QB isn't consistent the WRs won't be consistent. Teams have simply exposed Dak, the only time he is consistently accurate is when he is on the move. There have been times where he couldn't hit a stationary target between the numbers this year. That scares me way more than WR getting separation.
Because sometimes it's on the WR and sometimes it's on the QB.

Are you really not aware that there are bad WR's?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What's the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good". Not me. You make your own luck. It's called hard work, diligence, eye on the prize. If a ball goes through my WR's hands and bounces off a DB's helmet that's luck. If my guy muffs a punt and it bounces off three players before my team come up with it, that's luck. Drives that stall because of penalties and end up being a punt or FG is poor execution. Watch how many times the Pats have those kind of dumb penalties. Their players either execute or Bellichic executes them.
Preachin' to the choir about this stuff....certainly in this forum
Coaching and football 101