Our receiving core? Do they scare anybody?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
they would be better running a more effective offense than the 90's so favored by garrett. wr's are part of the problem. the offensive game plan is the larger part of their failure.
Explain how it's like the 90's scheme?

cern

Reaction score
I think a scheme similar to the 90's scheme would be much more effective, complete w/ a FB clearing the way and basing the scheme on running the ball.
we've been doing that with keith smith as our fullback. where garrett's 90's scheme is killing us is in the passing game. perhaps opposing defenses are only joking when they laugh about how easily then can neutralize dez and Beasley because they know what they're going to do prior to the snap. every one of our wr's regressed last year under our current scheme. or is that my imagination?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I think a scheme similar to the 90's scheme would be much more effective, complete w/ a FB clearing the way and basing the scheme on running the ball.

Heck yeah, give me a 90's scheme. Emmitt lead the league in TD's and the OC didn't shy away from running the ball on fist and two from the goal line

kskboys

Reaction score
we've been doing that with keith smith as our fullback. where garrett's 90's scheme is killing us is in the passing game. perhaps opposing defenses are only joking when they laugh about how easily then can neutralize dez and Beasley because they know what they're going to do prior to the snap. every one of our wr's regressed last year under our current scheme. or is that my imagination?
Not sure. I think the biggest problem w/ our passing game is too much of trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Not having a deep WR. Not fitting the scheme and the WR's to the QB's strengths.

And I don't believe we regularly use a FB.

cern

Reaction score
Not sure. I think the biggest problem w/ our passing game is too much of trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Not having a deep WR. Not fitting the scheme and the WR's to the QB's strengths.

And I don't believe we regularly use a FB.
the 90's scheme was great..........................in the 90's. 27 years later it's not all the rage. a great o-line (like the 90's) and a great rb (like the 90's) isn't enough to do it all by its lonesome. our passing attack is predictable and pathetic. other defenses openly say so. they laugh about it. again, every one of our wr's regressed last year. why did goff suddenly become a good qb from having been thought a bust the prior year. why did wentz do so well until injured. innovative schemes. which are a result of innovative coaches. and that, immho is why we fail.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In the 3 Wide why not replace Witten with Dez and leave Beasley in the slot

CRidley.............................................XXOXX.......................................................TWill
.........................Beasley.........................................Dez...............................................
..........................................Zeke...........Dak................................................................

Base

...............................................WittenXXOXX......................................................CRidley
Dez......................................................Dak...................................................................
......................................................KSmith.....................................................................
.............................................................Zeke

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
the 90's scheme was great..........................in the 90's. 27 years later it's not all the rage. a great o-line (like the 90's) and a great rb (like the 90's) isn't enough to do it all by its lonesome. our passing attack is predictable and pathetic. other defenses openly say so. they laugh about it. again, every one of our wr's regressed last year. why did goff suddenly become a good qb from having been thought a bust the prior year. why did wentz do so well until injured. innovative schemes. which are a result of innovative coaches. and that, immho is why we fail.
It's not the same offensive scheme no matter how many times you call it that.
In the 90's, the run was a power run to set up the pass. 2 back sets, sweeps and dives. Yes, we have a FB but not used nearly the same. More of a west coast. They had WRs who could run all the routes. Slants, ins, outs, deep posts, drags and ups.
Clearly Linehan doesn't utilize the run enough and we don't use a complete pass route tree.

I won't argue the coaching.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Need solid receivers who can run routes, block and catch the ball.....whens the last time a premier WR was on a SB winning team?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Need solid receivers who can run routes, block and catch the ball.....whens the last time a premier WR was on a SB winning team?
Julio Jones(28-3 wasn't his fault), Demaryius Thomas, Torey Smith, Golden Tate, Sidney Rice, Victor Cruz, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Maques Colton, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not without a dominant running game to take the weight off the shoulders of Dak. He was thrust into the starting role and more than delivered when the health of the team and Zeke were on the field. Dak needs more time to mature before he can carry the weight of the team when the chips are down.

Is Dez a top 10? Yes. Is he elite? No. We need Dak to mature and we need better depth at OL. Zeke needs to stay out of trouble.
I agree about DAK needing more time.

Thing is..

Look at Wentz with Philly in his second year?

It was profound what he did.

And his defense is light years than ours.

At this point..seems like a lot is needed just to beat Philly now.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Julio Jones(28-3 wasn't his fault), Demaryius Thomas, Torey Smith, Golden Tate, Sidney Rice, Victor Cruz, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Maques Colton, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne
Only 2 elites on that list....besides Julio. My point you don't need the elite elite WR to win a SB anymore.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Bottom line is what has Dez done one on one against the elite corners? PS. Not much.