Our Secondary/Defense against Bucs will be ugly

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB's don't like getting hit but Brady gets downright pouty about that. The Giants served up the template for going up against him but the combination of his quick release, his OL and route running of his receivers makes that a tall order. They ended up with 4 DE's for a lot of that game. Few teams have 2 really good DE's, let alone 4.

Think about spending your entire QB career with a team that had a HC that perfectly honed your skills to the NFL game through his defenses. Belichick forced him to makes his reads and react faster than any QB I've ever seen. Brady is just not going to wait for a WR to clear, if he's not open, passes him right on by in an unbelievable rate of processing speed.

Brady is the only QB I've seen get announcers talking about how many different receivers he's already hit early in the games. The most I have seen is 9 in the Q1. How does a DC stop that?

If the Cowboys did not improve pressure in FA and the draft, Quinn is going to have to create it. Even the best secondary in the game can only cover for 2-3 seconds against a receiving corps that good. He may not want to bring the blitz but he may have no choice. The best blitzer on the team is probably the rookie LB.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I cringe thinking about our young secondary and new Safety group having to go against the Bucs on the first week. Going against Brady, AB, Mike Evans, Godwin, and Gronk is scary for a veteran team but to have to face them in the first game many of the Cowboys will be playing together and with a new system for the first time is frightening.
Love it. Play bad it is a learning experience that a young defense can grow and develop. Play well and it is confirmation that defense wins championships.

Cowboys 1992 was a young defense with a rookie starting at CB, rookie starter at MLB, a 2nd year player at the other CB spot, 2nd year player starting at DT, and a future ROH Safety not playing until the latter end of the year.

Play them young, fast, and they will get experience.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I cringe thinking about our young secondary and new Safety group having to go against the Bucs on the first week. Going against Brady, AB, Mike Evans, Godwin, and Gronk is scary for a veteran team but to have to face them in the first game many of the Cowboys will be playing together and with a new system for the first time is frightening.
Good post Miss Cleo. Didn't know you were a fan. :muttley:

75boyz

Reaction score
CouchCoach mentioned it in his previous post but a win could only be expected if consistent front 7 pressure, mainly the d line, can get to Brady. Spagnuolos Giants had a 4 pass rusher NASCAR package that had success against him in the Bowl.
Middle pressure bothers all QBs in that there is no time for them to set up from their preferred throwing spots that are compromised when facing immediate middle pressure in their face.
Brady is no exception.

2 of my favorite guys who consistently "stood in there" and delivered strikes while staring down the gunbarrel of bloodthirsty middle pressure were Aikman and Warner.

I especially remember Martz's empty or zero sets with no help and 4 and even 5 wides at times and Warner's consistent ability to throw darts while getting pummeled within 3 seconds of the snap.

Takes some serious gonads AND genuine toughness to be able to deliver like that on a consistent basis. If Dallas manufactures that kind of pressure, there's a chance.

If not, I think they get blown out.

jmo

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe Whitt Jr will not put an ugly product on the field. He's an excellent coach that has so much to teach our new talented prospects. I think you will be pleasantly surprised come 9 Sept.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ha, more likely the "ugly" will be on the grimacing mug of Tom Brady slowly arising offa' the deck after being waylaid/ sacked fer' the Upteenth time,,,er,,,Yeah( more than likely)o_O

:starspin::lmao::starspin:

:flagwave: