Over the Cap analyzes NFL team's FA success

USArmyVet

Reaction score
As someone mentioned about Dallas' approach, look at the Ravens signing former Giants RD Kevin Zeitler to a 3-year $22.5M deal with $16M guaranteed (the deal averages $7.5M/year).

While he just turned 31 years old, he still ranks as a very highly rated interior o-linemen and given Dallas' recent injury issues (Zeitler has only missed 1 game the last 6 years) and issues at the LG position (aka Williams), a move like this would certainly have improved the Dallas o-line as it would have seen Zeitler pair with Tyron Smith to form a very strong blind side protection for Dak as he comes back from injury.

That is the type of free agent move that would have shown how serious Dallas is at getting back to the Super Bowl as with that one move you dramatically improve the passing game and running game while also improving protection for Dak......all while taking a player away from a division rival.

Aven8

Reaction score
Wow this is pathetic. But not surprising.

Honestly I can appreciate the fact that they don’t like to spend like drunken sailors in FA.

that being said. They SHOULD be trying to target 1-2 actual good players per Fa period. That can actually contribute.

as opposed to signing 5-6 bottom barrel guys who barely belong on an NFL roster.

I would take 2 solid contributors or starters. Over 5-6 fringe backup types.

And it’s no surprise we are always on the outside looking in most seasons as well. Stephen and company have to shake things up or they will keep getting the same results....

Sydla

Reaction score
As someone mentioned about Dallas' approach, look at the Ravens signing former Giants RD Kevin Zeitler to a 3-year $22.5M deal with $16M guaranteed (the deal averages $7.5M/year).

While he just turned 31 years old, he still ranks as a very highly rated interior o-linemen and given Dallas' recent injury issues (Zeitler has only missed 1 game the last 6 years) and issues at the LG position (aka Williams), a move like this would certainly have improved the Dallas o-line as it would have seen Zeitler pair with Tyron Smith to form a very strong blind side protection for Dak as he comes back from injury.

That is the type of free agent move that would have shown how serious Dallas is at getting back to the Super Bowl as with that one move you dramatically improve the passing game and running game while also improving protection for Dak......all while taking a player away from a division rival.

I mean in a perfect world, sure, Zeitler would have helped. But frankly, given the make up of the team and the limited cap space we have, I am not sure it would have been the wisest use of our cap space unless you plan on just trying to score 40 a game and band aiding together a pretty shoddy defense again.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I mean in a perfect world, sure, Zeitler would have helped. But frankly, given the make up of the team and the limited cap space we have, I am not sure it would have been the wisest use of our cap space unless you plan on just trying to score 40 a game and band aiding together a pretty shoddy defense again.

Besides the obvious poor defense last season and the injury to Dak was the injuries to the o-line which in part attributed to the demise of Zeke. However, knowing that the defense could not be rebuilt in one off-season the signing of Zeitler would have improved things for not only Zeke but also protecting Dak....thereby allowing an improved running game to not only take the pressure off of Dak dropping back all the time but allow for the running game to keep our defense off the field (therein helping the defense improve) by having longer sustained drives.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is not the reason that has been given by the Joneses for their philosophy. They believe that the FA spending, especially on the initial days of FA, is so exorbitant that you cannot get a good return on the investment. They adapted the philosophy particularly after Brandon Carr proved to be not worth the money, but there were other examples. It's an overreaction, which is what the Joneses tend to do.

I hold out some hope that McCarthy can get them to change the approach some, but based on last year, I don't expect it. The Joneses want to patch holes with bodies and then replace those bodies with draft picks, but this has rarely proven to be successful for any team. Strategic FA shopping is what is needed.
It would work if they hit on nearly all of their draft picks.

Big difference between actually doing that and telling yourselves you do.

Sydla

Reaction score
Besides the obvious poor defense last season and the injury to Dak was the injuries to the o-line which in part attributed to the demise of Zeke. However, knowing that the defense could not be rebuilt in one off-season the signing of Zeitler would have improved things for not only Zeke but also protecting Dak....thereby allowing an improved running game to not only take the pressure off of Dak dropping back all the time but allow for the running game to keep our defense off the field (therein helping the defense improve) by having longer sustained drives.

But at some point you have to look at your roster and just count on guys staying healthy. You guys are obsessed with just throwing dollars and picks at the OL and it's won us nothing. No team has thrown as many high picks at OL and spent as much money as we have on the OL over the last decade and it's gotten us nowhere because we've largely had an imbalanced team that was often good on offense and crap on defense.

We have limited resources in FA. I don't see the logic in handing a fairly large contract to an OG to play alongside our highly paid LT, RG and RT. The results will be the same - good offense, porous defense. I'd rather spend that $23 million over three years on a good DT.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
But at some point you have to look at your roster and just count on guys staying healthy. You guys are obsessed with just throwing dollars and picks at the OL and it's won us nothing. No team has thrown as many high picks at OL and spent as much money as we have on the OL over the last decade and it's gotten us nowhere because we've largely had an imbalanced team that was often good on offense and crap on defense.

We have limited resources in FA. I don't see the logic in handing a fairly large contract to an OG to play alongside our highly paid LT, RG and RT. The results will be the same - good offense, porous defense. I'd rather spend that $23 million over three years on a good DT.

I do not see myself as obsessed in throwing resources at the OL but given what was seen last season (LT and RG missing time and RT missing the season) the OL is no longer a top rated OL and is an area of concern. While I agree the defense needs much help, with Dak coming off a major injury you need to protect your investment by improving his protection and the running game to take pressure off of him. That also allows for the defense to stay off the field via sustained drives so while I see your point in needing to address the defense Zeitler would have in fact indirectly impacted the defense by helping the offense.

Dallas Cowboys Primary O-Linemen 2019-2020 Games played (32 possible)

LT Tyron Smith 15 of 32
LG Conor Williams 27 of 32
C/OG Joe Looney 29 of 32
C Tyler Biadasz (rookie) 12 of 16
RG Zack Martin 26 of 32
RT La'El Collins 15 of 32

So again while I agree the defense needs help, when your 3 primary starting o-linemen (Smith, Martin, and Collins) have missed as many games as they have the last 2 seasons there is in fact reason for concern along the OL.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score

Other than WR, interior OL is arguably the deepest position on the team....not to mention one that other teams are getting away using late picks and UDFA on.

Sydla

Reaction score
I do not see myself as obsessed in throwing resources at the OL but given what was seen last season (LT and RG missing time and RT missing the season) the OL is no longer a top rated OL and is an area of concern. While I agree the defense needs much help, with Dak coming off a major injury you need to protect your investment by improving his protection and the running game to take pressure off of him. That also allows for the defense to stay off the field via sustained drives so while I see your point in needing to address the defense Zeitler would have in fact indirectly impacted the defense by helping the offense.

Dallas Cowboys Primary O-Linemen 2019-2020 Games played (32 possible)

LT Tyron Smith 15 of 32
LG Conor Williams 27 of 32
C/OG Joe Looney 29 of 32
C Tyler Biadasz (rookie) 12 of 16
RG Zack Martin 26 of 32
RT La'El Collins 15 of 32

So again while I agree the defense needs help, when your 3 primary starting o-linemen (Smith, Martin, and Collins) have missed as many games as they have the last 2 seasons there is in fact reason for concern along the OL.

But again you have limited resources here. Sure, our three top OL had injury issues. But we don't have any DTs that are even any good. You don't have even one S that you can point to and say, that guy can play.

No one said the OL is great or couldn't use help but when looking at this roster, you don't have the luxury of adding a 4th fairly highly paid OL when your defense has massive holes at DT and S. It doesn't make much sense. You've invested a lot of money and picks into the OL, you have to roll the dice and just hope what you have done works. Just adding another OL to the mix in FA and not doing anything on defense just is a continuation of the last decade.

It hasn't worked. Not sure why we need to keep doing it over and over and over.

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Hopefully the Joneses will finally learn that their problem in free agency wasn't overspending in the past so much as that it's been scouting then and now.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
But again you have limited resources here. Sure, our three top OL had injury issues. But we don't have any DTs that are even any good. You don't have even one S that you can point to and say, that guy can play.

No one said the OL is great or couldn't use help but when looking at this roster, you don't have the luxury of adding a 4th fairly highly paid OL when your defense has massive holes at DT and S. It doesn't make much sense. You've invested a lot of money and picks into the OL, you have to roll the dice and just hope what you have done works. Just adding another OL to the mix in FA and not doing anything on defense just is a continuation of the last decade.

It hasn't worked. Not sure why we need to keep doing it over and over and over.

I guess I see the huge financial investment made to a QB coming off a major ankle injury along with 2 primary starting OT's that missed most or all of 2020 and the idea of them being injured again (very possible) and being replaced with the revolving door OT's Dallas employed last season is a recipe for disaster in terms of the health of the QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess I see the huge financial investment made to a QB coming off a major ankle injury along with 2 primary starting OT's that missed most or all of 2020 and the idea of them being injured again (very possible) and being replaced with the revolving door OT's Dallas employed last season is a recipe for disaster in terms of the health of the QB.

One OG isn't going to fix that. If Collins and/or Smith go down, they have problems regardless of who is playing LG.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
One OG isn't going to fix that. If Collins and/or Smith go down, they have problems regardless of who is playing LG.

True but less likely to fix anything if they get injured by not addressing the problems before they arise. Regardless, I am sure we can both agree that the approach Dallas has taken recently with free agents is that of shopping for 'discounts' and watching as those 'discounts' amount to nothing more than a dollar store throwaway item.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That doesn't completely make sense though when they pay their own players basically the same money they would get in free agency. The Cowboys didn't get a deal on Amari, Dak, Zeke, or D Law. Those deals were market rate or over.

They believe in paying their own because they have seen them and know what they can do. They are not against paying big money, only against paying it to outside FAs.

This is not a matter of the Joneses being cheap. Like you said, they have paid market value or over for their own free agents. They also have let some go (DeMarco Murray and Byron Jones come to mind) who they did not think were worth what they would receive as FAs.

I do think it makes sense in that regard. When you bring in an outside FA, there is some level of risk involved as far as their character/personality goes and as far as their ability to fit into your scheme. Some coaches actually do a good job of making players look better than they are. There is also a level of risk when re-signing your own, but you do already fully know their character and strengths and weaknesses as a player.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It would work if they hit on nearly all of their draft picks.

Big difference between actually doing that and telling yourselves you do.

The probability of hitting on all your draft picks is very low.

conner01

Reaction score
Yes, the Cowboys suck at free agency, but I don't know if I buy this analysis.
I agree
This only ranks long term FA but you can do a quality job in FA without long term deals
That’s said, we sux at FA anyway you look at it

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
They believe in paying their own because they have seen them and know what they can do. They are not against paying big money, only against paying it to outside FAs.

This is not a matter of the Joneses being cheap. Like you said, they have paid market value or over for their own free agents. They also have let some go (DeMarco Murray and Byron Jones come to mind) who they did not think were worth what they would receive as FAs.

I do think it makes sense in that regard. When you bring in an outside FA, there is some level of risk involved as far as their character/personality goes and as far as their ability to fit into your scheme. Some coaches actually do a good job of making players look better than they are. There is also a level of risk when re-signing your own, but you do already fully know their character and strengths and weaknesses as a player.

Yea, I mostly was disagreeing with their rationale that you can't get good value from free agency. Especially with Jerry Jones quote about overpaying for things worth having. How does that parse with their strategy of bargain basement shopping in free agency every year? It makes more sense to target one or two players that can actually help your team vs signing a bunch of guys to cut by the trade deadline. Ignoring free agency basically puts them in a situation where they have to draft perfect to even have a shot.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wonder if the team actually does their own analytics such as this.

They either don't, or completely think numbers and results lie.

morat1959

Reaction score
Ranking of Super bowl champions in that time period:

getting only 3 free agents like Dallas did and being ranked low because 2 didn’t turn out doesn’t tell a whole lot
Yes but the last 25 plus years tells a lot.