Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I don't know if he's overrated any more but I never understood how Nic Cage ever got a job (except for the fact that his uncle is Francis Ford Coppola)

Underrated:
Ben Foster
Christoph Waltz
Jared Leto

cowboyec

Reaction score
dont know if he qualifies as "under-rated" but the first name I thought of was Robert Mitchum...especially his gritty,noir films.
Out of The Past is a favorite.
GREAT actor...loved his westerns too.
another favorite...Heaven Knows Mr. Allison.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I believe women prefer to just be called "actors" now, it is no longer PC to use the feminine version of the word unless using it for an award.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't know if he's overrated any more but I never understood how Nic Cage ever got a job (except for the fact that his uncle is Francis Ford Coppola)

Underrated:
Ben Foster
Christoph Waltz
Jared Leto

I'm not certain how Leto and Waltz are considered underrated. Both are notable award nominees/winners and are also cast in big-budget films.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Best actors:

Daniel Day-Lewis

P Seymour Hoffman (rip)

Jessica Chastain

Jennifer Lawrence

Natalie Portman

Marion Cotillard

Giamatti

Spacey

Del Toro

Brolin

Bardem

JK Simmons

Sarsgaard

Bradley Cooper

Overrated
:

Hanks

DiCaprio

Clooney

Streep

Hopkins

And so, so many others

Underrated:

Mads Mikkelsen

Depp

Denzel

Bradley Cooper (yes, twice listed)

Matt Damon

— just off the top of my head

cowboyec

Reaction score
Best actors:

Daniel Day-Lewis

P Seymour Hoffman (rip)

Jessica Chastain

Jennifer Lawrence

Natalie Portman

Marion Cotillard

Giamatti

Spacey

Del Toro

Brolin

Bardem

JK Simmons

Sarsgaard

Bradley Cooper

Overrated
:

Hanks

DiCaprio

Clooney

Streep

Hopkins

And so, so many others

Underrated:

Mads Mikkelsen

Depp

Denzel

Bradley Cooper (yes, twice listed)

Matt Damon

— just off the top of my head
I will go to my grave believin' Josh Brolin shoulda been Batman AND The Lone Ranger.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Underrated:
Ben Foster
Christoph Waltz
Jared Leto
Oooooh! Dude great call on Leto! GREAT call!!!!

I think Waltz is pretty much regarded as a best of the best, just not well known by name-recognition, sadly. Same with Mark Rylance.

Kinda like John Malkovitch and Gary Oldman, same mold. Not underrated at all, just not A-list, but fantastic character actors

cowboyec

Reaction score
Anson Mount-Hell On Wheels....his character Cullen Bohannan is a hero and icon to me.
how in the hell did he or this show NEVER....EVER....get an emmy NOMINATION...let alone a win.
He also woulda made a GREAT Lone Ranger.
he made the best faces....when Cullen was pissed....he'd give this look...GREAT actor.
severly....historicaly under-rated.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Boris Karloff was under-rated at the time....but now he finally gets some recognition for being a brilliant actor.
My favorite Karloff story was during the filming of Frankenstein...he lived close to the studio so he would walk home and work in his yard...IN FULL COSTUME.

Bella Lagosi was def under-rated at the time...he grew to hate the dracula character...(where Karloff embrassed it).....Lagosi felt typed cast....but any movie he did....any scene...the man was a genius.