Overrated and Underrated Actors and Actresses

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
my man Corso.....gimmie your top 5 under-rated....historicly or today.
Like Trouty and some others...I value your opinion.
Under? Right now by the public, in general?
Marx Brothers

Today? I haven't paid enough attention, but all those reality shows can be flushed, for all I care.

Overrated?
Too much right now.

I'll make a list in a bit though. Thanks for asking!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Want to say, I love Hanks and DiCaprio. DiCaprio's performances in "Eating Gilbert Grape" as well as "Wolf" are top notch. Character-driven to the tee. But his general performances are formulaic and stale. Same with Hanks, altho his performances in "Castaway" and "Philadelphia" are incredible. "Private Ryan" was really good, but more of a testament to great directing, cinematography and editing. He wasn't really acting outside his range. Still, a solid performance. Still, he's overrated.

Morgan Freeman is overrated. Tom Cruise underrated (I have the same kind of view of he as Cage)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Marx Brothers

Today? I haven't paid enough attention, but all those reality shows can be flushed, for all I care.

Overrated?
Too much right now.

So much overrating, Cors. "So and so is SO GREAT". Hell, I might be guilty of it in this thread :)

Corso

Reaction score
Want to say, I love Hanks and DiCaprio. DiCaprio's performances in "Eating Gilbert Grape" as well as "Wolf" are top notch. Character-driven to the tee. But his general performances are formulaic and stale. Same with Hanks, altho his performances in "Castaway" and "Philadelphia" are incredible. "Private Ryan" was really good, but more of a testament to great directing, cinematography and editing. He wasn't really acting outside his range. Still, a solid performance. Still, he's overrated.

Morgan Freeman is overrated. Tom Cruise underrated (I have the same kind of view of he as Cage)
Tommy is underrated. I will agree on that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Ana De Armas could become the latina Amy Adams. I need to see more of her to get a good sense of her talent, but she was phenomenal in Blade Runner 2049. Great chemistry with Gosling ( who was phenomenal as well). There performance together really took that movie to the next level

cowboyec

Reaction score
Marx Brothers

Overrated?
Too much right now.

love it.
cant wait.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Elvis was a much better actor than he ever got credit for.
King Creole...nuff said.
he could also be very funny.

man that felt good....held that one back.
3 pages in....PERSONAL RECORD.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I think Ana De Armas could become the latina Amy Adams. I need to see more of her to get a good sense of her talent, but she was phenomenal in Blade Runner 2049. Great chemistry with Gosling ( who was phenomenal as well). There performance together really took that movie to the next level
Hmm. Intriguing. I dont want to see her works if it's a "Blade Runner"-type film (yes, I've heard it's hype, but I doubt it's Looper or Vanilla Sky good, therefor a waste of time for me, unless the boy wants to see it; treachery for some, whatevs), but I love foreign film

For foreign film:

Leila Hatami
Peyman Moaadi
Marion Coutillard
Pauline Etienne
Gael Garcia Bernal
Diego Luna
Mads Mikkelsen
Adele Exarchapoulos
Lea Seydoux

Just some off the top of my head from fantastic, fantastic foreign film actors

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hmm. Intriguing. I dont want to see her works if it's a "Blade Runner" type film, but I love foreign film

For foreign film

Leila Hatami
Peyman Moaadi
Marion Coutillard
Pauline Etienne
Gael Garcia Bernal
Diego Luna
Mads Mikkelsen
Adele Exarchapoulos
Lea Seydoux

Just some off the top of my head from fantastic, fantastic foreign film actors
Whats wrong with Blade Runner

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
And also, while we're at it, add Amy Adams to my list of underrated actors. Girl has chops.

Corso

Reaction score
Elvis was a much better actor than he ever got credit for.
King Creole...nuff said.
he could also be very funny.

man that felt good....held that one back.
3 pages in....PERSONAL RECORD.
Elvis was a singularity. Up there with DaVinci as an artistic talent.
Many could argue the merits and non-thereof of any side, but it's true, in their own ways.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And also, while we're at it, add Amy Adams to my list of underrated actors. Girl has chops.
Amy Adams is kinda my jam. She was phenomenal is American Hustle. She really stood out in a cast with Cooper, Bale, Lawrence and Renner

5 Oscar noms I think she has.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Blade Runner
Scifi, unless it's by Rian Johnson, THE GREAT SHANE CARRUTH or Johnathon Glazer has almost zero interest for me. It needs to be thought-provoking, and most of current sci-fi falls flat. For me. No disrespect. Most of it is regurgitated remake part 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc etc etc remake remake remake

derivative bull ****

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Scifi, unless it's by Rian Johnson, THE GREAT SHANE CARRUTH or Johnathon Glazer has almost zero interest for me. It needs to be thought-provoking, and most of current sci-fi falls flat. For me. No disrespect. Most of it is regurgitated remake part 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 etc etc etc remake remake remake

derivative bull ****
Trust me, Blade Runner ( both the original and the sequel) are absolutely not your typical si-fi fare. Very high brow stuff. They may be Ridley Scotts best works. I highly recommend them

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Amy Adams is kinda my jam. She was phenomenal is American Hustle. She really stood out in a cast with Cooper, Bale, Lawrence and Renner
American Hustle was outstanding, Darth. A top ten film for me in the last ten years. 10/10

She was great in The Master, Her, The Fighter, Arrival (a rare recent sci-fi film that I digged the hell out of/Cloverfield was another)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Trust me, Blade Runner ( both the original and the sequel) are absolutely not your typical si-fi fare. Very high brow stuff. They may be Ridley Scotts best works. I highly recommend them
I'll take it to the bank, then, Darth. Have read the book, and have heard the hype. But Hollywood has me so scared of all these sequels. I do appreciate the feedback, I'll check it out.

I can't go into the Mega Movie thread because it triggers me.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Best actors:

Daniel Day-Lewis

P Seymour Hoffman (rip)

Jessica Chastain

Jennifer Lawrence

Natalie Portman

Marion Cotillard

Giamatti

Spacey

Del Toro

Brolin

Bardem

JK Simmons

Sarsgaard

Bradley Cooper

Overrated
:

Hanks

DiCaprio

Clooney

Streep

Hopkins

And so, so many others

Underrated:

Mads Mikkelsen

Depp

Denzel

Bradley Cooper (yes, twice listed)

Matt Damon

— just off the top of my head

I was just thinking this should be easy for Trouty ... he lives in la la land. And that is a very good list. Mine is rather puny ... I forgot the actress's ... I have to think on that one.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Under-rated ... Dennis Quaid

Over - Rated ... Adam Sandlar
I blew cigarette smoke into Sandler's face as he was pushing his baby with a stroller, right after the Kings beat the Ducks in game 2, and we had left the Pond and headed to Downtown Disney. I felt bad blowing smoke into the area of a child, didn't recognize it was him, and he was friendly and waved it off as I apologized before I realized it was him. Then I gawked and told my buddies, "GUYS I JUST BLEW CIGARETTE SMOKE IN ADAM SANDLER'S FACE AND HE WAS SO CHILL ABOUT IT"

With hat said, outside of his mid-late 90's films and Punch Drunk Love, and I guess 50 First Dates, his work is trash. But he's worth $400M, and in it for the money. His recent Netflix deal is proof in the pudding.