Packers and Aaron Jones

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is a 29 year old RB set to be a 17 million cap hit in 2024. Yeah, I think the Packers will probably move on. He's probably going to want more than his market value of 5M suggests. The Cowboys will probably steer clear.
Exactly I don't really understand all the hypocrites in here that thought Ezekiel Elliott shouldn't have got a second contract shouldn't have been overpaid then we watch Tony Pollard get franchise tagged and severely overpaid and they say you can get a running back in the draft easily as transition position in the NFL go get a stud young guy or two in the draft and let's reboot this under rookie contracts at running back I hope they get one in the second or third round hell they could pick another one in the fifth round let's stop paying running backs when we're already having salary cap issues and let's put the money towards defense or offensive line you know I could use a good middle linebacker a center we're with the rumors with tyron I mean we got all kinds of things that even best player available if it's all things being equal you steer away from wide receivers and other positions we don't need and you take the next highest graded guy and that would be middle linebacker defensive tackle offensive line and running back but everyone keeps talking about wide receivers and bringing over Jacobs Henry saquon Barkley and now Aaron Jones joins the list can we just stop yes if one of these guys want to come and play for $4 million plus incentives that they can get up to 8,000,000 if they're on the field and producing so production and play time have to be part of it then yeah let's consider one if not...

Steer clear of aging high-priced running backs I thought that that was clear...

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly I don't really understand all the hypocrites in here that thought Ezekiel Elliott shouldn't have got a second contract shouldn't have been overpaid then we watch Tony Pollard get franchise tagged and severely overpaid and they say you can get a running back in the draft easily as transition position in the NFL go get a stud young guy or two in the draft and let's reboot this under rookie contracts at running back I hope they get one in the second or third round hell they could pick another one in the fifth round let's stop paying running backs when we're already having salary cap issues and let's put the money towards defense or offensive line you know I could use a good middle linebacker a center we're with the rumors with tyron I mean we got all kinds of things that even best player available if it's all things being equal you steer away from wide receivers and other positions we don't need and you take the next highest graded guy and that would be middle linebacker defensive tackle offensive line and running back but everyone keeps talking about wide receivers and bringing over Jacobs Henry saquon Barkley and now Aaron Jones joins the list can we just stop yes if one of these guys want to come and play for $4 million plus incentives that they can get up to 8,000,000 if they're on the field and producing so production and play time have to be part of it then yeah let's consider one if not...

Steer clear of aging high-priced running backs I thought that that was clear...
They should steer clear. Just draft a RB. Your offensive line is a huge part of the running game. Exceptional backs can only show what they can do when they get through the line and into open space. If your line isn't that good, it won't matter who we put at RB. I think the NYG proved that it didn't matter who was running the ball between 2007 and 2011. They had success regardless.

I'm still mad that we didn't draft Achane. Right there we would have been set for 4 years. He was my hopeful pick. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the few players I got right. I'm usually 10% with my picks. Absolute garbage. But I got him right.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, they got the best one in the league. There isn't anyone out there like him the Cowboys could get.
Ehh.....I don't know about that. It's all about impact. Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry....with the same usage as McCaffery would give similar results.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I've been BEGGING for Dallas to get Aaron Jones since before he was drafted.

He already owns AT&T Stadium... might as well give him a job here.
Amen, truer words have never been spoken. Not sure why certain zoners take issue with the article. Its just speculation as far as the article. But in reality, GB will find another rb and cut him. They dont have a history of paying guys too many 2nd deals. So I felt this was relevant to post here.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I never wanted Zeke on a 2nd deal btw. He was already showing signs of decline when we did that. Whichever rb route we take, we had better find a back that is capable of pass blocking and catching out of the backfield. Those are difficult to find in the draft,unless you are just looking for a complimentary back.

Rayman70

Reaction score
AJ is better than Pollard easily. Complete. If we can make it work financially, its worth taking a chance.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That's your opinion...if we want a ball control offense like many around here are crying about, we need a good back. What was dumb was paying a part time back like Pollard as if here were a Bell Cow back.
What was dumb was having a lousy run scheme. We have O lineman, that is the past, could run block. And the RB’s were not the issue last year.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What was dumb was having a lousy run scheme. We have O lineman, that is the past, could run block. And the RB’s were not the issue last year.
I said all year running Pollard up the middle and him getting hit at or behind the LOS was beyond stupid. The run scheme was the worst I may have seen in Cowboys history. The play calling was highly suspect also. Emmitt Smith would have came off the field barking at Jimmy if he had faced that.

Motorola

Reaction score
Yep I do it. Not only because he's a dog for a running back but he's a leader which the Cowboys need more than a running back.

“Just his ability to put his foot in the ground, be explosive, make people miss,” Green Bay head coach Matt LaFleur said of Jones. “I can't say enough great things about the guy, the football player, what he means to our team, the leadership he brings."
YET - Lafleur isn't the GM = controlling the Pack's pursetrings.
If the FO deems Jones' demands too costly - then 2023 is last season with the team that drafted him - and with he played so well for.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Looks like each side might not be able to strke a deal. They are still talking but if hes cut, would you sign him? I for one am a big yes! Sign the guy that has our number before a team like Philly does.
No from every GM excluding Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would not surprise me. You would be better off re-signing Elliott vs. Jones. At least you know you would get a full season, 50 catches, and 12TDs at a lower price than Jones.

perrykemp

Reaction score
As good as Aaron Jones was when he played, he basically missed half the season to injuries. He is an average sized RB, now 29 years old, who's game is of a bigger RB and it has been catching up with him.

Not entirely surprised the Packers are willing to part ways with him and I'd be super cautious about the Cowboys looking at him unless it's as a RB2 (at a reasonable cost).