Packers DC Joe Barry has been fired

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Why am I worried - nor would be surprised by - that if Dan Quinn goes somewhere else, McCarthy will go running to Jerry and Stephen to hire this guy as our DC replacement? After all, he's from Green Bay.
Meant to say "would not be surprised" in above post.

MMObserver

Reaction score
Packers fans are rejoicing. He sucks and managed to dominate us. Actually he didn’t do that bad against San Fran either.
Barry's D made Tommy DeVito the NFC offensive player of the week after a game on December 11. On December 17, Baker Mayfield became the first opposing QB to finish with a perfect passing rating 158.3 at Lambeau. The following week, the woeful Carolina Panthers put up 30 points and were within 1 second of being able to kick a game-tying FG. The Panthers followed that up with back to back shutouts on offense to finish the season.

The Packers had eight, yes 8, 1st round picks on defense. There is talent on the D, but it finished 27 in DVOA ranking this season.

Barry is the personification of NFL nepotism.

Franchises seriously contending for a Super Bowl don't let Barry coordinate their defense.

And yes, I am rejoicing.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why? He had one hell of a game plan for Dallas. Or maybe the Dallas offense just sucks?
The Packers somehow played the 49ers offense really tough too.

Maybe he was starting to figure it out by the end of the season.

bottleKids

Reaction score
lol we lost to a team who was a 7th seed who ultimately fired their DC after almost going to the NFC conference game with a very young team....

Meanwhile business at usual here on Jerry's ranch

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Guess making us look silly wasn't enough

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nsive-coordinator-joe-barry-according-reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Joe Barry is out as the Packers' defensive coordinator even after his defense held up well enough to help Green Bay advance to the NFC divisional round of the playoffs.

The move, announced Wednesday by the Packers, came two days after coach Matt LaFleur declined to comment on Barry's job status and said he was "going to go through the process at my own pace."

"We want to thank Joe for his commitment and contributions to our success the past three seasons," LaFleur said in a statement released by the team. "These decisions are extremely difficult and Joe is one of the best men I've had the opportunity to work with in this league."

Barry still could remain on the Packers' staff in some capacity -- a possibility that is being discussed, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

LaFleur will be on his third defensive coordinator in six seasons when he hires a replacement for Barry, who had one year left on his contract. Barry had been the Packers' defensive coordinator since replacing Mike Pettine in 2021.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Worth taking a look just for his game plan against us , LOL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Barry's D made Tommy DeVito the NFC offensive player of the week after a game on December 11. On December 17, Baker Mayfield became the first opposing QB to finish with a perfect passing rating 158.3 at Lambeau. The following week, the woeful Carolina Panthers put up 30 points and were within 1 second of being able to kick a game-tying FG. The Panthers followed that up with back to back shutouts on offense to finish the season.

The Packers had eight, yes 8, 1st round picks on defense. There is talent on the D, but it finished 27 in DVOA ranking this season.

Barry is the personification of NFL nepotism.

Franchises seriously contending for a Super Bowl don't let Barry coordinate their defense.

And yes, I am rejoicing.
I’m not saying how good or bad he is….just saying his unit wasn’t bad against San Fran or Dallas. Not good enough not to get fired apparently.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting... considering they almost made it to the NFC Championship

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
LaFleur's firing of his friend Joe Barry, despite a deceiving late-season improvement on defense and despite Joe still being under contract, is a strong indicator that the typically too set in its ways Packer organization thinks it will have a team that can compete for the Super Bowl in the near future.

Green Bay has 5 picks among the top 91 (Jets 2nd rounder and Bills 3rd rounder) and Rodgers' cap hit is coming off the books so there will be room to dabble in free agency.

GB was not winning a Super Bowl with Joe Barry at DC.
This ^

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
That is crazy. His defense just shut us down…… top scoring offense in the league. Then they almost beat SF on their home field. The defense was incredible. What the heck ?
They have determined he is not good enough to take them to the next level.

Hint, hint, Dallas is not a "next level" test.