Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Packers out of Arrington chase
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 21, 2006
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=417779

The Green Bay Packers made a play for free agent linebacker LaVar Arrington, but it appears it wasn't enough.

According to a National Football League source, the Packers were informed that Arrington planned on signing with another team. It's unclear who Arrington is going to sign with, but his visit to the New York Giants is a pretty good sign that they are in the lead for his services.

All along, Arrington made it a point to say he wanted to play in the NFC East where he would be able to play against his old team, the Washington Commanders, twice a year. Miami, Cincinnati and Jacksonville were involved earlier in the negotiations with Arrington, but the Giants had shown the most interest of late.

The Packers were hoping to lure Arrington to Green Bay with a solid contract offer and from all indications they were in the running until the end. But the uncertainty of not having a decision from Brett Favre on his status for next season might have affected Arrington's decision.

Arrington is one of two big-name free agents the Packers have been pursuing of late. The other, cornerback Charles Woodson, remans on their radar, but they are battling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his services. Woodson, like Arrington, is represented by Carl and Kevin Poston.

Kevin Poston, who has been handling Arrington, did not return a phone message.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants | Team negotiating with Arrington
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:55:15 -0700

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports the New York Giants and free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Commanders) have been in serious contract discussions for the past 24 hours and are very close to completing a deal, according to a person with knowledge of the talks. His agents, Kevin and Carl Poston, opened further talks with the Giants Thursday night, April 20, and they went into Friday evening, April 21. Arrington passed the physical the Giants administered Thursday. Arrington could sign with the Giants before the end of the evening.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Just what I wanted to hear....

NY beefing up their defense. Ah well. Strahan is a year older. They still have no DT's to speak of. And their secondary is still a question mark.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This is Burress all over again. He'll be a Giant by default.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Just what I wanted to hear....

NY beefing up their defense. Ah well. Strahan is a year older. They still have no DT's to speak of. And their secondary is still a question mark.

Arrington doesnt beef up anyone's defense because

1) he is always hurt and
2) he just isnt very good anyway when he is on the field

I hope they broke the bank to sign him

David

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Arrington doesnt beef up anyone's defense because

1) he is always hurt and
2) he just isnt very good anyway when he is on the field

I hope they broke the bank to sign him

David

Say what you want, but Arrington is an upgrade over Barrett Green.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Say what you want, but Arrington is an upgrade over Barrett Green.

only in the eyes of those infected with "big name-itis"

because when you watch LaBuster on the field, he is average at best...thats when he is ON the field, because alot of times he aint

David

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
only in the eyes of those infected with "big name-itis"

because when you watch LaBuster on the field, he is average at best...thats when he is ON the field, because alot of times he aint

David

So, I should trust your analysis over, say the Giants Scouting Department/Front Office, who clearly believe it to be an upgrade?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Vintage said:
So, I should trust your analysis over, say the Giants Scouting Department/Front Office, who clearly believe it to be an upgrade?

he's been a bust so far too date, and plagued by injuries since day one basically...he's hardly played in two yrs or so now

two of the best defensive coaches in football cant stand him as a player

liek I said, I hope they broke the bank

David

Rockytop6

Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
why is this thread in the cowboy zone?

I assume because some of us what to know what our competition is doing. The Giants just got tougher.

dontpush

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Ask Aikman about Lavar's free lancing ***

that was years ago, is he the same player? imo, no.

he can hit, he was in the right spot to crush aikman on that hit, no denying that...was it instincts that got him in the right place, or a good guess and alot of athletic ability?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
One dimensional player.

Runyan made a comment about it yesterday. Its pretty sad IMO when an OL player (basically) calls you out as average.

Also, I heard that further contract talks were not made.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Ask Aikman about Lavar's free lancing ***

See its these comments that make you appear to be a Skins fan, this is a typical Lavar comment from alot of them. Totally forgetting that Arrington had nothing to do with Aikmans back injury or first 7 concussions. Its always "arrington retired Troy" When the reality is that Troys long and prosperous career retired Troy

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
See its these comments that make you appear to be a Skins fan, this is a typical Lavar comment from alot of them. Totally forgetting that Arrington had nothing to do with Aikmans back injury or first 7 concussions. Its always "arrington retired Troy" When the reality is that Troys long and prosperous career retired Troy
Its more to do with the continual concussions that ended Troy's career.

Lavar's hit was the final straw; not the straw that broke the camel's back.

I agree with that.

Reaction score
dontpush said:
that was years ago, is he the same player? imo, no.

he can hit, he was in the right spot to crush aikman on that hit, no denying that...was it instincts that got him in the right place, or a good guess and alot of athletic ability?

To answer that question myself, HELLLLLLLLLLLL NO!!! The guy is full of crap and will say anything to get you to defend him as he walks away.