Parcells Legacy Will Be the Players He Drafted

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
by Joe Rodriguez

Parcells Legacy Will be the players he drafted/signed not our record over his 4 year career here. Do you agree with this?

I think he has really developed a really great foundation of strong core players:

Tony Romo
Julius Jones
Marion Barber III
Demarcus Ware
Terence Newman
Jason Witten
Bobby Carpenter
Patrick Crayton
Terry Glenn (traded for him)

I may be forgetting someone, but for the most part, those are some pretty damn good players, and I think these players will define Parcells Legacy, and if we win a SuperBowl next year or soon, I know these players will be thanking Parcells for forming them into what they are.

So was Parcells outing in Dallas a failure?, I would say no; conversely, I would say his stay in Dallas was very beneficial simply with the players he drafted/signed in Dallas. We will win a SuperBowl with "Parcells' Guys"

It was an up and down season, but in all seriousness, I want to Thank Bill Parcells for what he did for our team. He didn't get us to the SuperBowl, but he probably got us the players that will ultimately be part of a Super Bowl victory very soon!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Why not include Peterman, Rogers, Johnson, Greene, Tucker, Zuriel Smith, Petiti and the stupid FA signings like Ryan Tucker, Vanderjagt, Boiman, Hannam...........

If you think about it, if Al Johnson, Rogers and Peterman had panned out like you expect 2nd and 3rd rounders to, our OL would be set as a dominant young line for many years to come, and Rivera and Kozier would not be here.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1357107 said:
Why not include Peterman, Rogers, Johnson, Greene, Tucker, Zuriel Smith, Petiti and the stupid FA signings like Ryan Tucker, Vanderjagt, Boiman, Hannam...........

If you think about it, if Al Johnson, Rogers and Peterman had panned out like you expect 2nd and 3rd rounders to, our OL would be set as a dominant young line for many years to come, and Rivera and Kozier would not be here.

That equates to a roughly fifty percent success ratio, which is no worse than most teams. Nobody hits all home runs. The key is that those you hit on need to be big. The seventh rounders that turn into All Pros. The undrafted free agents who end up becoming Pro Bowl players.

I find it odd that Coach Parcells' drafting success (or lack thereof) by some of you is at question but now we are back to square one with Jerry Jones fully leading the charge. If you believe the Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman picks were terrible, wait for the future Quincy Carter, Dwayne Goodrich, Shante Carver, Clay Shiver and Shane Hannah choices that are to come.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
We didn't draft Romo...although I believe there were some in the warroom that wanted to pull the trigger on him

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Alexander;1357115 said:
That equates to a roughly fifty percent success ratio, which is no worse than most teams. Nobody hits all home runs. The key is that those you hit on need to be big. The seventh rounders that turn into All Pros. The undrafted free agents who end up becoming Pro Bowl players.

I find it odd that Coach Parcells' drafting success (or lack thereof) by some of you is at question but now we are back to square one with Jerry Jones fully leading the charge. If you believe the Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman picks were terrible, wait for the future Quincy Carter, Dwayne Goodrich, Shante Carver, Clay Shiver and Shane Hannah choices that are to come.

:bang2:

:)

Is that the ONLY basis of comparison here?

Ya know, I appreciate you getting a bit uh, tired of some people beating on Parcells all the time...BUT ya know, this stuff of "You'd rather have Campo?" and "Wait until you see who Jerry drafts" is just as tiresome.

Yes...I'll freely admit it. Parcells is a better coach than Campo. Parcells is better at drafting players than Jerry.

Then again....so is this...

cinderblock.jpg

Alexander

Reaction score
Juke99;1357119 said:
:bang2:

:)

Is that the ONLY basis of comparison here?

Ya know, I appreciate you getting a bit uh, tired of some people beating on Parcells all the time...BUT ya know, this stuff of "You'd rather have Campo?" and "Wait until you see who Jerry drafts" is just as tiresome.

Yes...I'll freely admit it. Parcells is a better coach than Campo. Parcells is better at drafting players than Jerry.

Then again....so is this...

cinderblock.jpg

What else would you compare it to?

Some mythical standard that doesn't exist?

Living in the past thinking we could replicate what Jimmy Johnson did? Gil Brandt did?

Fact is, they also had ratios dead in the middle. What helped both those eras was the fact that we committed legalized robbery on several franchises to obtain the talent that paced this team for decades at a time. We got Tony Dorsett for next to nothing. Randy White for Craig Morton. The Herschel Walker trade and so on. If you know your history, you will see choices that weren't even close and Brandt as well as Coach Johnson had misses just as bad as any the last four seasons.

It is just another case of us being spoiled as usual. Instead of understanding the reasons why we were successful, some find that important to raise it as some minimal standard, when in reality it was a function of luck and simply being more cunning than the other 27-29 teams we were competing with.

Those days are over, for several reasons.

Deputy493

Reaction score
Let's not forget him taking the spare Justin Bates when Josh Brown was taken 2 picks later......

oh and the punt returner pick of Zuriel Smith when he could've taken Wes Welker.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Alexander;1357126 said:

Living in the past thinking we could replicate what Jimmy Johnson did? Gil Brandt did?

Fact is, they also had ratios dead in the middle. What helped both those eras was the fact that we committed legalized robbery on several franchises to obtain the talent that paced this team for decades at a time. We got Tony Dorsett for next to nothing. Randy White for Craig Morton. The Herschel Walker trade and so on. If you know your history, you will see choices that weren't even close and Brandt as well as Coach Johnson had misses just as bad as any the last four seasons.

It is just another case of us being spoiled as usual. Instead of understanding the reasons why we were successful, some find that important to raise it as some minimal standard, when in reality it was a function of luck and simply being more cunning than the other 27-29 teams we were competing with.

broken-record.jpg

Have a nice day....

Cowboys22

Reaction score
To me, Parcells' legacy with Dallas is bringing back respectability and improving the talent base for which to move forward with. Yes, he missed on some guys who, if they would have panned out, may have pushed us over the top into real contenders especially since the NFC was there for the taking this year. But, every team misses on guys, thats nothing new. What really held us back was his conservative schemes on O and D and an unwillingness to adjust during games and attack our opponents weaknesses. This lead to the team being outcoached on a regular basis. I think the team knew this and quit trying their hardest as the seasons wore on. This would explain why Parcells lost the team in December every year. I still like Parcells and am gratefull to him for where the team is now opposed to where it was when he arrived, but I'm glad he is moving on. I just hope JJ makes a good decision on the next coach and that person can take this team where we all want to go!

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander;1357115 said:
Parcells success with the drafts is as good or better than any team in the league. You can bring up the failures all day long - but take a moment to look over the Patriots drafts the pat couple years. The Ravens, any team. You rarely find that true impact player, and if you can just get "guys" on 50-60% of your picks, you're doing good. Parcells' failure has been drafting linemen. But, he's also nabbed Colombo off the scrap heap, and Kosier played well last year.

If anything, I'd say Parcells' legacy in drafting will ultimately come down to whether or not Spears can become anything more than a steaming pile of poo. Jackson is a great RB. I'd give a whole busload of Julius's and Spears' for him. One of those two needs to work out more for that trade to be anything more than a dismal mistake.

Alexander

Reaction score
Juke99;1357137 said:
broken-record.jpg

Have a nice day....

Is this what you do when you really have no logical retort? Well done then.

Funny you should post that, because that is exactly what I would expect. The past is the past, but I suppose it is comforting to claim the drafts of the past four years were just terrible and set the franchise back.

Answer me this, are you filled with confidence Jerry Jones can do better, particularly if he is out to make the decisions himself again? If so, would you care to share the reasons why?

I don't expect an answer though. Have a nice day yourself.

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk;1357148 said:
If anything, I'd say Parcells' legacy in drafting will ultimately come down to whether or not Spears can become anything more than a steaming pile of poo. Jackson is a great RB. I'd give a whole busload of Julius's and Spears' for him. One of those two needs to work out more for that trade to be anything more than a dismal mistake.

I agree. If Spears busts, then that trade was a mistake. Then you can add that to the dogpile of complaints about Coach Parcells and actually have something to hang your hat on.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Gryphon;1356991 said:
by Joe Rodriguez

Parcells Legacy Will be the players he drafted/signed not our record over his 4 year career here. Do you agree with this?

I think he has really developed a really great foundation of strong core players:

Tony Romo
Julius Jones
Marion Barber III
Demarcus Ware
Terence Newman
Jason Witten
Bobby Carpenter
Patrick Crayton
Terry Glenn (traded for him)

I may be forgetting someone, but for the most part, those are some pretty damn good players, and I think these players will define Parcells Legacy, and if we win a SuperBowl next year or soon, I know these players will be thanking Parcells for forming them into what they are.

So was Parcells outing in Dallas a failure?, I would say no; conversely, I would say his stay in Dallas was very beneficial simply with the players he drafted/signed in Dallas. We will win a SuperBowl with "Parcells' Guys"

It was an up and down season, but in all seriousness, I want to Thank Bill Parcells for what he did for our team. He didn't get us to the SuperBowl, but he probably got us the players that will ultimately be part of a Super Bowl victory very soon!
only Ware, Witten and Romo are Pro Bowlers...3 Pro Bowlers in 4 years....is that the stuff of legends? Had he not missed so badly on the offensive line every year...he would have made a run at the Super Bowl. 4 years is long enough to at least have acquired one building block...but in 4 years he could not. The putrid, inconsistent, at times collegiate level play of the offensive line ruined any chance of him winning a playoff game in dallas

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Alexander;1357166 said:
I agree. If Spears busts, then that trade was a mistake. Then you can add that to the dogpile of complaints about Coach Parcells and actually have something to hang your hat on.

Spears is not going to bust...put him in the right position in the right style of defense, and we'll all be happy

David

mschmidt64

Reaction score
dbair1967;1357222 said:
Spears is not going to bust...put him in the right position in the right style of defense, and we'll all be happy

David

Spears already has not busted.

He's a solid player.

If we had gotten that much out of half of our picks in the late 90's, we would never have been in the situation we were in.

Of course, despite what EVERYONE SAID ahead of time, that Spears would not rack up sack numbers in the 3-4, everyone is citing his sack numbers as the reason he sucks now.

Short term memory problems I guess.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I do not see the point in moaning about Parcells being gone and Jerry Jones being back in charge.

Two questions. 1) Did you think Jerry was going to sell the team? 2) Did you think Parcells was going to coach another decade?

The enevitable happened. This day was going to come this year or next. Might as well have been this year. Not like Parcells was the NFL world on fire.

Sure Jones could revert back to his old ways and propel Dallas towards a downward spiral. Could happen.

He could also make a good hire and let Jeff Ireland be the one feeding JJ who to and who not to draft.

This "without Parcells" Dallas is doomed to a repeat of the Campo years is beyond ridiculous. Even if it were true, we could be looking forward to this moment exactly one year from today. Big whoop. C Ya later Parcells.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Deputy493;1357132 said:
Let's not forget him taking the spare Justin Bates when Josh Brown was taken 2 picks later......

oh and the punt returner pick of Zuriel Smith when he could've taken Wes Welker.

You can review the draft of ANY team and find spots where they missed on a player. Any team in the league. It is especially ridiculous to focus on late round picks. Welker wasn't even DRAFTED. Brown went with pick 222.

You could just as easily cite every team besides the Cowboys as failures for not picking Romo or Crayton or Ratliff or even Reeves. I'm sure you'd find many guys who did nothing picked ahead of each of them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alexander;1357126 said:

Ding freakin ding.

The players we've got out of the draft since Parcells has got here will greatly improve this franchise for many years and some of them are not just everyday guys but bigtime stud players.

Regardless of what some of you want to believe every team has bad picks every year and nobody drafts perfect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
mschmidt64;1357324 said:
Spears already has not busted.

He's a solid player.

If we had gotten that much out of half of our picks in the late 90's, we would never have been in the situation we were in.

Of course, despite what EVERYONE SAID ahead of time, that Spears would not rack up sack numbers in the 3-4, everyone is citing his sack numbers as the reason he sucks now.

Short term memory problems I guess.

Agreed.

Richard Seymour is the best 3-4 defensive end in the league and the most sacks hes ever had in a season is 8 and he averages about 4 a season.

Spears needs to improve no doubt and we will see what hes really got since this is his 3rd year and hopefully can stay away from the injury bug, but he will at least be nothing less than solid for us.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
If anything, Parcells dramatically improved the talent base here in Dallas. Just compare our 2002 roster with the 2006 version:l Like night and day in terms of talent.

If another coach takes us to the Super Bowl in the next few years then some credit will e due Bill for his efforts in rebuilding the organization from scratch.