Parcells Legacy Will Be the Players He Drafted

neosapien23

Reaction score
What I fault more on Parcells is his conservative game play calling. A perfect example would be his stubborness to run Juluis up the gut on 1st and 10. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Jones was usually stuffed for no gain. What about a pass to the FB? Do something different. Same thing on defense. Why keep manning up and playing zone. What about just turning Spears and Canty loose instead of making them stop the run first? I think Parcells took the Cowboys as far as he could take them and that is why he retired. His drafts while not superb were fairly average, but wasn't he supposed to be a draft guru?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
neosapien23;1357367 said:
What I fault more on Parcells is his conservative game play calling. A perfect example would be his stubborness to run Juluis up the gut on 1st and 10. Everyone knew what was going to happen. Jones was usually stuffed for no gain. What about a pass to the FB? Do something different. Same thing on defense. Why keep manning up and playing zone. What about just turning Spears and Canty loose instead of making them stop the run first? I think Parcells took the Cowboys as far as he could take them and that is why he retired. His drafts while not superb were fairly average, but wasn't he supposed to be a draft guru?

Compare his average drafts with other teams and they will not look so average anymore.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
windward;1357364 said:
If anything, Parcells dramatically improved the talent base here in Dallas. Just compare our 2002 roster with the 2006 version:l Like night and day in terms of talent.

If another coach takes us to the Super Bowl in the next few years then some credit will e due Bill for his efforts in rebuilding the organization from scratch.

Wasn't Parcells' best record achieved with Dave Campo's players?:cool:

Should Parcells be given credit/blame for the draft when Jerruh says all the time he has the last word on choices?

Just wonderin'

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
GoCowboysGo;1357388 said:
Wasn't Parcells' best record achieved with Dave Campo's players?:cool:

Should Parcells be given credit/blame for the draft when Jerruh says all the time he has the last word on choices?

Just wonderin'
Win loss recprds should be taken in context of schedule and thequality of their division. the 2006 Boys are much much more talented than the 2003 version. In 2006 we played 9 teams with .500 records or better In 2003, we played 6. That makes up for a one game swing, imo.
Dallas went 4-5 against teams .500 or better in 2006
Dallas went 2-4 against such teams in 2003

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;1357115 said:
That equates to a roughly fifty percent success ratio, which is no worse than most teams. Nobody hits all home runs. The key is that those you hit on need to be big. The seventh rounders that turn into All Pros. The undrafted free agents who end up becoming Pro Bowl players.

I find it odd that Coach Parcells' drafting success (or lack thereof) by some of you is at question but now we are back to square one with Jerry Jones fully leading the charge. If you believe the Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman picks were terrible, wait for the future Quincy Carter, Dwayne Goodrich, Shante Carver, Clay Shiver and Shane Hannah choices that are to come.

It may not be as bleak as you think IF Ireland still maintains the pull at draft time as he has over the last two years. If Ireland stays-- I'm not that worried.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;1357362 said:
Agreed.

Richard Seymour is the best 3-4 defensive end in the league and the most sacks hes ever had in a season is 8 and he averages about 4 a season.

Spears needs to improve no doubt and we will see what hes really got since this is his 3rd year and hopefully can stay away from the injury bug, but he will at least be nothing less than solid for us.

Probably a mute argument.

I think we're headed back to the 4-3. And I wouldn't be suprised to see
Spears move to DT.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;1357137 said:
broken-record.jpg

Have a nice day....

.........................:lmao2: .....................and true....................;)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1357399 said:
It may not be as bleak as you think IF Ireland still maintains the pull at draft time as he has over the last two years. If Ireland stays-- I'm not that worried.

I don't know why you think Jeff had the biggest pull in the draft

neosapien23

Reaction score
CATCH17;1357372 said:
Compare his average drafts with other teams and they will not look so average anymore.

The main point that I made was to criticize his predictable play calling. I will agree he ran the drafting process pretty well. What I didn't like was his continued run up the middle with Juluis for no gain on first down. Nor his refusal to turn the defense loose when the man up zone defense failed miserably. His playcalling and not draft picking are the reason that I am glad he retired.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Alexander;1357165 said:
Is this what you do when you really have no logical retort? Well done then.

Funny you should post that, because that is exactly what I would expect. The past is the past, but I suppose it is comforting to claim the drafts of the past four years were just terrible and set the franchise back.

Answer me this, are you filled with confidence Jerry Jones can do better, particularly if he is out to make the decisions himself again? If so, would you care to share the reasons why?

I don't expect an answer though. Have a nice day yourself.

it's more what people do when *no* retort is going to change anything. your mind is set, yipee. many of us don't feel that just because parcells is gone the "campo" style is coming back.

some seem to suggest that w/o parcells it's a lock to suck now. that seems to be the camp you're in.

we simply don't know what will happen until more pieces are together then it will make more sense to "surmise" the good, bad and ugly coming at us. this is *my* camp - wait and see who he gets and now they come together and then worry about it. even i gave parcells 28 games before his 4 game stretch of testiverde in meaningless games infuriated me beyond repair.

some people are just that proud of their own opinions that they can call things a "lock" at this point and some of us simply don't agree.

what "retort" would change your mind? i imagine none, so why bother when you'll keep on like a broken record?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1357399 said:

there's talk that parcells "eye" could be overrated. can't remember which OL pick - rogers or peterman, but many in the room said NO WAY!!! and parcells did it anyway.

what good is it to have all these assistants you hire and trust if you don't listen to them at such a time? then again it's his right to consider that info and do it anyway.

we've seen the results good and bad so again, from our seats, who knows?

but i'll wait to see who we get to wrap up the coaching staff and do some analysis on that before i cry me a river now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
neosapien23;1357485 said:
The main point that I made was to criticize his predictable play calling. I will agree he ran the drafting process pretty well. What I didn't like was his continued run up the middle with Juluis for no gain on first down. Nor his refusal to turn the defense loose when the man up zone defense failed miserably. His playcalling and not draft picking are the reason that I am glad he retired.

See I dont mind the playcalling.

Ever since i've been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys ive heard complaining about the Cowboys playcalling.

To some fans it will never be perfect and I understand that. I just dont think there was much of a problem with our offensive playcalling and I think the results would show that.

Defensive playcalling was pretty frustrating though i'll admit.

Offense though I loved what we were doing.

Im a big Norv fan too and I have loved how he calls plays and I believe its how you win games at any level and when he starts calling the plays the complaints are going to be overwhelming on this board because I dont think fans can get a true appreciation for how he calls an offense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
iceberg;1357504 said:
it's more what people do when *no* retort is going to change anything. your mind is set, yipee. many of us don't feel that just because parcells is gone the "campo" style is coming back.

Turner might be better than Campo. We don't know. And that isn't even what I implied.

some seem to suggest that w/o parcells it's a lock to suck now. that seems to be the camp you're in.

I do know that Jerry Jones is firmly in charge again and will be completely dominating the action. What evidence do we have thus far that he learned anything? He's installing someone loyal to him that has a reputation for being malleable. Yipee indeed. Theebs commented that he might be looking to cut Ireland out of the equation. Does that fill you with confidence?

we simply don't know what will happen until more pieces are together then it will make more sense to "surmise" the good, bad and ugly coming at us. this is *my* camp - wait and see who he gets and now they come together and then worry about it. even i gave parcells 28 games before his 4 game stretch of testiverde in meaningless games infuriated me beyond repair.

some people are just that proud of their own opinions that they can call things a "lock" at this point and some of us simply don't agree.

what "retort" would change your mind? i imagine none, so why bother when you'll keep on like a broken record?

Likewise. The polarization is complete, but the broken records apply from both directions. The main issue here is that my thought process has years of history from Jones to back it up.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1357507 said:
there's talk that parcells "eye" could be overrated. can't remember which OL pick - rogers or peterman, but many in the room said NO WAY!!! and parcells did it anyway.

what good is it to have all these assistants you hire and trust if you don't listen to them at such a time? then again it's his right to consider that info and do it anyway.

we've seen the results good and bad so again, from our seats, who knows?

but i'll wait to see who we get to wrap up the coaching staff and do some analysis on that before i cry me a river now.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Rogers. That was an atrocious pick, the guy had a bad shoulder, REAL bad shoulder and never should have been touched...bad selection.......

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;1357554 said:
Uhhh... because that seems to be his job?

That'd be a good reason.............;)

Evenin' Winks...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sarge;1357556 said:
That'd be a good reason.............;)

Evenin' Winks...

Evenin' Sarge.

Some folks just want to argue for the sake of arguing-- regardless of reality of the situation.

The fact is our drafts with Parcells but without Ireland weren't anything to write home about... But as soon as Ireland came on the scene our drafts improved.

Coincidence?

I don't think so.

BTW it looks like my child won't be coming back to Drum until the fall--They've already been told their deployment could be extended.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1357554 said:
Uhhh... because that seems to be his job?

and Mike Zimmer's job was to coordinate the D, so what? just like Zimmer had some input on how the D was run, Ireland had some input on how we coordinated free agency and the draft, but in the end Bill made most of the decisions, hell, I'd say even Jerry had more of a final say than Ireland

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1357583 said:
and Mike Zimmer's job was to coordinate the D, so what? just like Zimmer had some input on how the D was run, Ireland had some input on how we coordinated free agency and the draft, but in the end Bill made most of the decisions, hell, I'd say even Jerry had more of a final say than Ireland

Overall, i believe Jerry Jones had the final say over most things, except who played on Sundays.