Parcells on ESPN Radio about Romo

sago1

Reaction score
Just came across below info which was on the Ranch Report. BTW: I think the Cowboys would have ended the season with a better win record, but that doesn't necessary translate into a playoff win. I just think we needed a whole new coaching change and particularly a new OC who could adjust the offense to take advantage of Romo's skills and I really don't think Parcells would have made any chances to his system while still HC. Also Jerry's signing of Leonard Davis & Hamlin were big additions. The departure of Parcells also lead to the new feeling on the team which very much included change of TO's attitude and his use. Anyway,

Mort (on ESPN Radio Primtime) said that he is starting to think that maybe Bill should have started Romo at the start of the season last year. Bill said that was a fair question and that there were a lot of discussions about possibly doing that last year. Ultimately they went with Drew because of his experience and felt he would give them a better chance at the start of the season. He said that in hindsight that may have been a mistake (which most of us would probably agree with).

The Ranch Report posting had many responders which discuss their reaction/thoughts about Bledsoe and eventual benching for Romo and when some posters thought making Romo the Cowboy starter should have been done.

Below are some of the posters' comments which some on here might enjoy since you probably had similar ideas at the time.

Gotta love Bill for his honesty. He is great on ESPN Radio Primetime and Monday Night Countdown. We need more Tuna on ESPN.
Posted: 11/30/2007 11:33 PM
Re: Parcells on ESPN Radio about Romo
I remember Jerry talking about how he had a lot more faith in Drew than in Tony... obviously he was wrong, but I wonder if BP actually was pushing harder behind the scenes for Romo than we knew and Jerry was holding back on the reigns more?
About 15-20% of this board was in favor of starting Romo off his preseason play. The other 80-85% were calling them knee jerkers.
I was in favor of starting Bledsoe but under the pretense that he is one bad outing from the hook. First game... first bad outing. We are down by 7 in JAX for our last two possessions and we get two TERRIBLE picks all on Bledsoe. That was it for me, I was ready to go full steam ahead with Romo at that point. We should have, obviously.
I would have been against starting Romo last year. I'll admit it. It wasn't that I didn't think Romo could play, I just felt at the time Drew's experience would give us a better chance to win. Obviously I and a lot of other people were wrong.

WindsofChange: I've wondered the same thing about Jerry possibly not wanting Tony to start the season. He didn't agree with Bill benching him against New York. He felt Drew gave us the best chance to win.
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/pm.aspx?s=112&t=RomoTIME
Everything worked out great in the long run so I guess it doesn't really matter but it's still interesting to hear Bill talk about the decision to go with Drew.
We are down by 7 in JAX for our last two possessions and we get two TERRIBLE picks all on Bledsoe. That was it for me, I was ready to go full steam ahead with Romo at that point. We should have, obviously.
(shudder) Good Lord - I remember that. Man I was THROUGH with Bledsoe after that.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002130868707375103
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/post.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=1550649&m=17746116&quote=1
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/post.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=1550649&m=17746884&quote=1
I was right about Romo last preseason. I was also wrong about TO.
I guess that is what makes the board interesting. We all get to play GM from our sofas and desks.
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/post.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=1550649&m=17747330&quote=1
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/pm.aspx?s=112&t=boscokt
Coaches listened to message board homos and got rid of Emmitt Smith for a year of Troy Hambrick.
http://forums.scout.com/themes/scout2/post.aspx?s=112&f=1786&t=1550649&m=17748198&quote=1
I think the way it worked out was for the best.
Image1.gif

Posted: Today 12:46 AM
With all the luck we've had at QB, the last thing I wanted was another change at the beginning of last year. I heard good things about Romo, but we've all been there before. Once Drew kept Fing it up, I was all for giving anything a try at the time.
Thank God it happened! Thanks Drew!
It wasn't that Jerry didn't have faith in Romo. What he had stated was that if they needed to start a 2nd string QB then things had not gone the way he had planned. Many seem to read it as Jerry not wanting Romo but thats the case at all.
Posted: Today 1:06 AM
Romo looked good in Pre-Season but I wanted Bledsoe to start. In fact, I was pretty big on Drew. I thought he could get us deep into the playoffs.
It was the Philly game for me. The decisions and throws and the immobility displayed in that game convinced me that Drew was in the wrong place. We didnt have the OL that Drew needed to be a success.
Now, I didn't think Romo would step in and perform like he did. But even after the december debacles last year , I was convinced Romo would be the QB for the Cowboys for a very very long time. I knew Romo was going to have a big year this year. I had no doubt. Thats why in every Fanatsy League I was in , I would stock up on RBS, WRS and even at TE. Becuase I knew I could pick T. Romo up in the 7th 8th round. I'm in 5 leauges. I have him in all but one. Another Cowboy fan snagged him in 5th round. I ended up with Brett Favre. which at that time was sort of a downer. But it worked out.
CowboyFanInRedskinLand wrote:

Yeah, Romo looked good in Pre-Season but I wanted Bledsoe to start. In fact, I was pretty big on Drew. I thought he could get us deep into the playoffs.
It was the Philly game for me. The decisions and throws and the immobility displayed in that game convinced me that Drew was in the wrong place. We didnt have the OL that Drew needed to be a success.
Now, I didn't think Romo would step in and perform like he did. But even after the december debacles last year , I was convinced Romo would be the QB for the Cowboys for a very very long time. I knew Romo was going to have a big year this year. I had no doubt. Thats why in every Fanatsy League I was in , I would stock up on RBS, WRS and even at TE. Becuase I knew I could pick T. Romo up in the 7th 8th round. I'm in 5 leauges. I have him in all but one. Another Cowboy fan snagged him in 5th round. I ended up with Brett Favre. which at that time was sort of a downer. But it worked out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1;1804457 said:
I would have been against starting Romo last year. I'll admit it. It wasn't that I didn't think Romo could play, I just felt at the time Drew's experience would give us a better chance to win.
Allow me to translate that for you. What BP really means is that by starting Bledslow he lowered our chances of losing.

One of my biggest complaints about BP was he played not to lose instead of playing to win. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
I've never understood a coaches obsession with a over the hill veteran QB like Bledsoe and Vinny when they've got a good young QB who can play or they have a chance to get a good young QB who has potential and yet they want to cut corners go with a washed up vet instead. Not just talkin' about Bill but it happens all over the league and these old QB's rarely ever deliver in regards to having a successful season or being successful in the post season.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1804565 said:
Allow me to translate that for you. What BP really means is that by starting Bledslow he lowered our chances of losing.

One of my biggest complaints about BP was he played not to lose instead of playing to win. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

Exactly right!

EndGame

Reaction score
I actually think Parcells did the right thing, both in starting Bledsoe at the beginning of the season and in switching to Romo when he did. Bledsoe was a QB who had done some good things in this league. The team surrounding him was quite good (not much different than this season -- and they had Glenn) and all he had to do was not screw it up. No one (including Parcells) knew exactly what we had in Romo. By the time Bledsoe was pulled, it was becoming very obvious that we weren't getting to the playoffs with him, so they might as well try it with the young guy.

Sure, in hindsight they should have gone with Romo from the start, but hindsight is 20/20.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
Coaches listened to message board homos and got rid of Emmitt Smith for a year of Troy Hambrick.

lol

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
locked&loaded;1804688 said:

lol

I thought they got rid of Emmitt because of salary cap reasons and because Emmitt was used to getting special treatment by the previous coaches and Parcells didn't want to deal with him in that regard!

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Such irony, BP kept this team from being great - but also built the foundation for a team to be great for many years to come. He also made the greatest non-move, but not trading Romo when teams were laying out some pretty nice deals for a 'career backup'.

Had Sean Payton not exposed us last year, he would still be here, and we'd still be a playoff contender - just not a Super Bowl contender.

sk0aL

Reaction score
Parcells as a coach always believed in "bus drivers". He wanted a player that wouldn't necessarily win you the game but would not lose you the game. Phil Simms was a bus driver. Bill wanted Bledsoe to be a bus driver, but after he threw the game away in Philly and was giving away the game against NYG in the first half, BP realized Bledsoe was being detrimental so he pulled him. Parcells had success in New York with a ball control style offense that won games because it had the defense from hell.

He brought that same philosophy here, only to have it bite him in the *** because the NFL isn't what it used to be. You have to play to win; you can't play not to lose.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
EndGame;1804677 said:
I actually think Parcells did the right thing, both in starting Bledsoe at the beginning of the season and in switching to Romo when he did. Bledsoe was a QB who had done some good things in this league. The team surrounding him was quite good (not much different than this season -- and they had Glenn) and all he had to do was not screw it up. No one (including Parcells) knew exactly what we had in Romo. By the time Bledsoe was pulled, it was becoming very obvious that we weren't getting to the playoffs with him, so they might as well try it with the young guy.

Sure, in hindsight they should have gone with Romo from the start, but hindsight is 20/20.
I don't know if anyone remembers but Bledsoe had a great preaseason in 06. He at least deserved the opportunity to start the season. Where he promptly blew it.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
glad to hear Tuna admit he *** up last year. If jerry/tuna wanted Drew to stat the Jax game should have been his last start withou a doubt. i'm sure this will haunt Tuna for years as 5 more starts for Romo might have been enough a learning curve to win a playoff game or two.

But i think there is something to Jerruh *really* wanting the veteran instead of unproven, unknown kid to start the season while funding a new stadium... he was miffed when Tuna benched Drew vs NYG.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
windward;1804828 said:
I don't know if anyone remembers but Bledsoe had a great preaseason in 06. He at least deserved the opportunity to start the season. Where he promptly blew it.

Romo had a better preseason. Plus drew ran one in diving headfirst (last preaseason game?) and got clocked at the goalline and was never the same since. Of course never the same is like sayign he was "terrible" vs "really terrible".

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
chinch;1805118 said:
Romo had a better preseason. Plus drew ran one in diving headfirst (last preaseason game?) and got clocked at the goalline and was never the same since. Of course never the same is like sayign he was "terrible" vs "really terrible".
Bledsoe sometimes gets more grief than he deserves on this forum. He had a very solid season in 2005, leading the NFC in QB rating for most of the season.
And it's not fair to compare Bledsoe's preseason to Romo's considering with the exception of the Seattle game Romo played against backups. That being said, by the middle of 2006 it was apparent Romo was the better QB and we have not looked back since.

CPonder14

Reaction score
What part is Parcells talking, and what part is other people talking? Kind of confusing looking at that.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1804565 said:

:bow: Our offensive talent and Bills' conservativeness was simply not a good mix........at all.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I actually thought Romo had a better preseason than Bledsoe's and couple with Bledsoe's mounting sacks and turnovers in 2005, I thought Romo should have started the 2006 season.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
windward;1805131 said:
Bledsoe sometimes gets more grief than he deserves on this forum. He had a very solid season in 2005, leading the NFC in QB rating for most of the season.
And it's not fair to compare Bledsoe's preseason to Romo's considering with the exception of the Seattle game Romo played against backups. That being said, by the middle of 2006 it was apparent Romo was the better QB and we have not looked back since.
Tuna admitted (listen to the mp3) in retrospect he screwed up starting drew week 1. Drew sucked flat out for us. TERRIBLE. For a "veteran" he was dumb. Didn't protect the ball. did NOTHING tuna wanted.

Tuna finally saw it vs NY, 6 games too late for last season to matter.

Romo played WITH backups in the preseason too ;)

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
chinch;1805476 said:
Tuna admitted (listen to the mp3) in retrospect he screwed up starting drew week 1. Drew sucked flat out for us. TERRIBLE. For a "veteran" he was dumb. Didn't protect the ball. did NOTHING tuna wanted.

Tuna finally saw it vs NY, 6 games too late for last season to matter.

Romo played WITH backups in the preseason too ;)
Well at any rate, we can all enjoy Romo now.

I still think you overstate Bledsoe's deficiencies and underplay the good things he did for us in 2005.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1805155 said:
I actually thought Romo had a better preseason than Bledsoe's and couple with Bledsoe's mounting sacks and turnovers in 2005, I thought Romo should have started the 2006 season.

Actually - Parcells wanted to go Romo but Bledsoe flat out beat him out last training camp and Parcells was forced to start Drew. Albeit a short leash, and really there was no real big Pro Romo Start ferver 2003/4/5/6.

Hensonites were long on the pedigree'd one right to the bitter end here. Few saw the talent and potential in Tony Romo back in that 03-05 era candidly. There was no mass we must start Tony Romo in fact a majority were beating him down trying to support Henson as the annointed QB all in all.