Parcells Slurs "Orientals"?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
"No disrespect to orientals... But Sean has a few "Jap Plays" he likes to run"...

In this day of our overly PC society... this will probably overshadow the Reagan funeral being that the Cowboy HC said it...

NOVA 22

Reaction score
trickblue said:
"No disrespect to orientals... But Sean has a few "Jap Plays" he likes to run"...

In this day of our overly PC society... this will probably overshadow the Reagan funeral being that the Cowboy HC said it...

I'm not even really sure what that means, and I don't think it will even get picked up.

trickblue

Reaction score
NOVA 22 said:
I'm not even really sure what that means, and I don't think it will even get picked up.

He was talking about having to keep an eye on Zim and Payton... no big deal to me... but SOMEONE will pick up on it... this is Dallas we are talking about...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:

Harmless.........

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At one time I do not think the term "Orientals" was seen as offensive but maybe I am wrong.

Used to be that it was the word that was for anyone that was from the asian area.

Now the term is asians instead of orientals.

The merian websters definition says it is offensive "sometimes".

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=orientals&x=12&y=17

However I think the other term he used has been considered racist since after the war or maybe before that.

However maybe someone else could help me out as I truly do not know about this term.

However I watch a show called deadwood on HBO and I have noticed they use the term "Celestials" to describe the chinese...I have also seen it used in some other older western movies.

Why were they called celestials?

trickblue

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
At one time I do not think the term "Orientals" was seen as offensive but maybe I am wrong.

Used to that is what the word was for anyone that was from the asian area.

However I think the other term he used has been considered racist since after the war or maybe before that.

However maybe someone else could help me out as I truly do not know about this term.

However I watch a show called deadwood on HBO and I have noticed they use the term "Celestials" to describe the chinese...I have also seen it used in some other older western movies.

It's not the "oriental part" they will pick up... it is "Jap-Plays"...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If that is what he said, then it is total BS he does not get any sh!t for it :mad:

C'Mon! We all know it is ASIAN, not Oriental. Get with the times Bill :D

thor_01

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Used to be that it was the word that was for anyone that was from the asian area.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=orientals&x=12&y=17

the stars of the orient.........china has always been considered the star of the orient since ancient times thus celestials...........

and referring to the japanese as japs, well homeys one of those thingys as far as i am concerned, may make me a racist too, but my father was in world warII and somehow that just don't seem that bad..................

Barrister

Reaction score
I am an Asian, with numerous "oriental" friends (e.g., chinese, japanese, korean, etc.). I can say confidently that "oriental" is NOT generally considered an offensive term (of course, there are MANY otherwise harmless words which, used in the wrong context, can easily be construed as offensive). Now, "Jap-plays" is another story altogether. I don't think that term can EVER be used in a non-offensive manner.

Personally, I don't care, and I certainly didn't find it offensive (although I may have to ask my Japanese friends for their thoughts), and I seriously doubt that this gets picked up, anyways.

Armageden Eagle

Benched
Reaction score
thor_01 said:
the stars of the orient.........china has always been considered the star of the orient since ancient times thus celestials...........

and referring to the japanese as japs, well homeys one of those thingys as far as i am concerned, may make me a racist too, but my father was in world warII and somehow that just don't seem that bad..................

No, it's bad! My dad was in WWII, all of my uncles were in Korea, and I was in the Air Force during Vietnam -- but that has nothing to do with an Asian American's perspective!

Look, we all have our Biases, but there's no need to perpetuate those beliefs. There's a little something called respect for fellow Americans regardless of race, creed ...

Hello!

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
thor_01 said:

it's not PC to use the term "Japs" anymore. Just because it was accepatable to use that term during WWII does not make it accepatable nowdays. Id rather not bring up other examples of terms acceptable for use during the 40's that are completely taboo nowdays. Poor choice of words, but does that make someone a racist? Who knows, but I'm not sure that Parcells use of that word was meant in a malicious manner. Chances are, this will get some press since there are plenty of folks waiting to for any negative stories with "Cowboys" attached to the headline.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thor_01 said:

Thanks for the info.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I'm Japanese and personally I do not like the comment. But this type of comment is something that you just need to let go. We have become way to PC.

Armageden Eagle

Benched
Reaction score
viman96 said:
I'm Japanese and personally I do not like the comment. But this type of comment is something that you just need to let go. We have become way to PC.

I agree with you. Just curious though -- you stated you are Japanese -- you didn't say Japanese-American or Asian American. There is a distinct difference between African Americans and Africans; Italian Americans and Italians. No disrespect, but do you know where I'm coming from? There's one common denominator that threads all of the above -- we're all Americans!

Either way, Bill Parcels appears to have used an offensive term.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
This is just crazy. Here is a story from ESPN where the only one not offended was the Japaneese guy. Come on people.

IRVING, Texas -- Bill Parcells caused a a stir during his news conference after Dallas Cowboys minicamp Monday with offensive remarks. He called surprise plays used in practice "Jap plays," referring to Japan's 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

"You've got to keep an eye on those two, because they're going to try to get the upper hand," Parcells said about quarterbacks coach Sean Payton and defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he's going to have a few ... no disrespect for the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays. OK. Surprise things."

After a murmur in the room of reporters, which included a Japanese journalist, Parcells repeated, "No disrespect to anyone."

"Bill Parcells is a brilliant coach," John Tateishi of the Japanese-American Citizen's League, a national civil rights group told ***BANNED-URL***. "Unfortunately, he is ignorant about racial slurs. I take great offense by what he said. Parcells ought to know better. He sorely needs more education on what is offensive and non-offensive to Japanese-Americans. I am shocked that he would say this."

Parcells later released a statement, apologizing for his comments.

"Today during my news conference I made a very inappropriate reference, and although I prefaced it with the remark, 'no disrespect to anyone intended,' it was still uncalled for and inconsiderate. For that I apologize to anyone who may have been offended," he said.

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said the "organization apologizes to anyone who may have been offended."

Akira Kuboshima, editor of American Football Magazine in Japan, said he wasn't offended, though he knows many Japanese will be.

"There is a lot of chance for someone to feel offended," Kuboshima said. "To me, it was no big deal."

Parcells spoke to Kuboshima, offering what the reporter perceived to be an apology. Kuboshima said he was surprised more by the reaction of other reporters than the comment.

That comment was only part of Parcells' 45-minute session with reporters, in which he also talked about the team's quarterback competition, players at several positions and some of the new additions.

He said he isn't going to be as patient in his second season with the Cowboys.

After three straight 5-11 seasons, the Cowboys went 10-6 and reached the playoffs in their first year under Parcells. Still, he expects better in 2004.

"That doesn't mean we'll win more games," Parcells said. "That just means I think from head to toe that we have a chance to be better. I really believe that."

Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who had two of his Pro Bowl seasons for Parcells while with the New York Jets, came to Dallas in a trade with Tampa Bay.

Vinny Testaverde was reunited with his old coach last week, leaving the Jets as a free agent. The 40-year-old quarterback will compete for the starting job with incumbent Quincy Carter and serve as a mentor to Drew Henson, who was added this spring after he quit professional baseball.

"These guys that were here last year, they've already bought into it. From that alone, we'll be a better team," running back Richie Anderson said. "We already know what to expect. He's not going to allow certain things to happen or go on."

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Obviously his comment is going to be received and portrayed as insensitive. Probably was but geez - what can one say anymore?

Remember the classic Reggie White rant where he offended just about EVERY Ethnic group?

trickblue

Reaction score
Armageden Eagle said:
I agree with you. Just curious though -- you stated you are Japanese -- you didn't say Japanese-American or Asian American. There is a distinct difference between African Americans and Africans; Italian Americans and Italians. No disrespect, but do you know where I'm coming from? There's one common denominator that threads all of the above -- we're all Americans!

Either way, Bill Parcels appears to have used an offensive term.

NOW you have hit on a pet-peeve of mine... whatever happened to just plain ol' "American"... are we not a melting pot?

We are all pretty much nothing more than "Mutts" in the gene pool... why is it politically correct to maintain your so-called heritage over your nationality... if you are a citizen... you are "American"... nuff sed...

If some feel the need to discern themselves form a heritage basis... why can't it be "American of African Descent". "American of Mexican Descent"... why all the @#$%&* labels... can we just not be "American"?

These sensitivity watchdogs REALLY piss me off... people should get over it already...

Amen...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
NOW you have hit on a pet-peeve of mine... whatever happened to just plain ol' "American"... are we not a melting pot?

We are all pretty much nothing more than "Mutts" in the gene pool... why is it politically correct to maintain your so-called heritage over your nationality... if you are a citizen... you are "American"... nuff sed...

If some feel the need to discern themselves form a heritage basis... why can't it be "American of African Descent". "American of Mexican Descent"... why all the @#$%&* labels... can we just not be "American"?

These sensitivity watchdogs REALLY piss me off... people should get over it already...

Amen...

Ya know, TB? You got me thinking. I now want to be referred to as a Native American English French German Cajun. And if you don't I'm getting the Native American English French German Cajun Coalition which now numbers 4 to request, NO, demand an apology and I also want reperation while I'm at it. :rolleyes:

trickblue

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Ya know, TB? You got me thinking. I now want to be referred to as a Native American English French German Cajun. And if you don't I'm getting the Native American English French German Cajun Coalition which now numbers 4 to request, NO, demand an apology and I also want reperation while I'm at it. :rolleyes:

Can I just call you "bastid" for short?
laugh.gif

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Can I just call you "bastid" for short?
laugh.gif

Oh no, I'm legit, but I'm not sure what else is in my background. And you know what? I like it that way. I have so much ethnicicity in me I don't even qualify for any government programs. I am a real Mutt.