Parcells talked 1 on 1 = Spears!!!!!!!!!!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
DC.com Mick Shots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.c...4710130831F65D1

Didn't want to post the whole article cuz I just liked the one where Marcus Spears was reduced to mush at being summoned by BP.

MICK SHOTS
That the Cowboys have hired Paul Pasqualoni, 14 years the Syracuse head coach (1991-2004), as an assistant and haven't assigned him a specific position to coach seems further proof Bill Parcells is not done reshaping his coaching staff. Pasqualoni, with a defensive background, probably could be plugged in most anywhere if another coach should leave since he's been a college head coach for 19 years. And his presence should help the Cowboys evaluate players in the upcoming drafts since he would have seen a bunch of them play.

Former Cowboys offensive line coach George Warhop appears first in line to take over the offensive line in San Francisco for recently named head coach Mike Nolan . . . . And a former Cowboys defensive line coach, Andre Patterson, who spent the past two seasons in Cleveland, apparently will be hired for defensive line duty in Denver.

LSU defensive end Marcus Spears apparently was flattered, and somewhat intimidated, when Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells singled him out for a little one-on-one conversation this week at the Senior Bowl. And how about this: Monte Kiffin, the defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay staff handling the South squad, had Spears working some at linebacker. When all was said and done, Witten's team-leading 87 catches ranked second among all NFL tight ends, trailing only Tony Gonzalez (102). Witten's 980 receiving yards also was second among NFL tight ends, again trailing just Gonzalez (1,258). Not a bad second season.

rw54

Reaction score
Would we take him at 11, which might be too high, because he won't be there at 20. IMO his value is at 13-15, do we trade back and risk it, he is pretty unique in this draft.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
rw54 said:
Would we take him at 11, which might be too high, because he won't be there at 20. IMO his value is at 13-15, do we trade back and risk it, he is pretty unique in this draft.

Before 20, but would a Pats/Pitts trade in front of us at 20?

Its looking like we could trade back a bit and get Merriman and Spears and add picks. Poker day!

rw54

Reaction score
In his last press conference before the Giant game Parcells said he thought the NFL would "tweak" the new illegal contact rule. If they do that would drive up the value of the cb's in the draft, and allow your scenario to be less of a gamble. I hope they do.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
No big suprise that all the defensive players the Cowboys have spoken to or are rumored to be interested in are listed as being best suited for a 3-4 scheme. Here is an eval on Spears, final comment says the same thing.

Marcus Spears

Official Bio College: L.S.U. Height: 6-4
Position: Defensive End Weight: 297
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.80
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has excellent athletic ability...Good size and frame with long arms...Versatile...Very quick and agile...Strong...Does a nice job against the run...Has a knack for making the big play and has scored multiple defensive touchdowns...Top character.
Weaknesses: Isn't a dominating pass rusher and more of a left end...Lacks top end speed...Still raw and learning the position...A bit of a DE / DT 'tweener and may have to change positions in the pros...Needs to play with better technique and leverage.
Notes: One of the top tight end recruits coming out of the prep ranks...May fit in best as a 3-4 defensive end at the pro level...Still has a lot of upside and could flouish in the right scheme.
- Scott Wright

<<< BACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This site is in no way affiliated with the National Football League (NFL) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). All logos and images contained within this site are the property of the respective teams and should not be used without consent.
www.nfldraftcountdown.com Contact | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy
©Scott Wright. All Rights Reserved.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
No big suprise that all the defensive players the Cowboys have spoken to or are rumored to be interested in are listed as being best suited for a 3-4 scheme. Here is an eval on Spears, final comment says the same thing.

Marcus Spears

Official Bio College: L.S.U. Height: 6-4
Position: Defensive End Weight: 297
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.80
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has excellent athletic ability...Good size and frame with long arms...Versatile...Very quick and agile...Strong...Does a nice job against the run...Has a knack for making the big play and has scored multiple defensive touchdowns...Top character.
Weaknesses: Isn't a dominating pass rusher and more of a left end...Lacks top end speed...Still raw and learning the position...A bit of a DE / DT 'tweener and may have to change positions in the pros...Needs to play with better technique and leverage.
Notes: One of the top tight end recruits coming out of the prep ranks...May fit in best as a 3-4 defensive end at the pro level...Still has a lot of upside and could flouish in the right scheme.
- Scott Wright

<<< BACK

This site is in no way affiliated with the National Football League (NFL) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). All logos and images contained within this site are the property of the respective teams and should not be used without consent.
www.nfldraftcountdown.com Contact | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy
©Scott Wright. All Rights Reserved.

I'd be very happy if we draft him at #20

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Wasn't it just last month (bowl season) that everyone didn't want this guy?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm still not 100% onboard with him at least at #11. It's way too early to speculate anything at this point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've really like this guy for three years. I probably wouldn't take him at 11 but I might consider 20, just depending on his numbers from the Combine. I like him alot. He reminds me of Strahan.

Gaede

Reaction score
He seems to be rising, but I'd like to see us trade down a couple spots and then take him

11 may be a little high

But if we should take him at that spot, I wouldn't be upset either. He's a good football player regardless of where you take him in the draft

Gaede

Reaction score
Plus his name is Spears!

Blade and Steele didn't work out...We need more cool names on this team!

ghst187

Reaction score
I'd love Rolle at #11 and either Merriman or Spears at 20. I'd think that one of those guys will probably be available at 20.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Merriman and Spears is a huge step forward in getting a very good 3-4 D...

Heck...Hawthorne and Spears...

Merriman and Hawthorne....

Any combo of these guys puts in the right direction....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that there are a couple of nice 3-4 type DEs available. Let me tell ya, I like Cody better then Spears but either one would be a good fit in my book.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think that there are a couple of nice 3-4 type DEs available. Let me tell ya, I like Cody better then Spears but either one would be a good fit in my book.
I'm right there with ya on both Spears and Cody....Travis Johnson too.

The reason I've started leaning twoards Spears is that he naturally plays end now...has some pass rushing moves at 302 lbs....very good against the run. I think these guys are all very close in talent...and depending what scheme they end up in will determine how well they do in the NFL. If we get anyone of these guys at #20...I'm feeling pretty good.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The guy is supposedly a talent, bu I didnt see him make many plays in the LSU games I saw this yr...looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

IMO he'd be a waste of a 1st rd pick

David

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Spears is a perfect fit at #11. Seymour went #6 and Warren went #13. All 3 had very similar stats in college.

Chargers have 2 #1's and I'm sure they wouldn't mind having Igor Olshansky, Jamal Williams, and Marcus Spears as their 3-4 DL.

Gaede

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
The guy is supposedly a talent, bu I didnt see him make many plays in the LSU games I saw this yr...looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane

IMO he'd be a waste of a 1st rd pick

David

haha...the inevitable "I'm right and the world is wrong" poster...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Gaede said:
haha...the inevitable "I'm right and the world is wrong" poster...
Yeah the three posters in this thread that supprt drafting him =the world

Gaede

Reaction score
Tio said:
Yeah the three posters in this thread that supprt drafting him =the world

Come on man, to call him a waste of a first round pick?