Parcells talked 1 on 1 = Spears!!!!!!!!!!

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Those 300 lbs DE/DT types with 9 sacks and 17 TFL's are a dime a dozen.

Plus, he's a bad kid and isn't THE team leader.

[/sarcasm off]

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Marcus Spears DL LSU 6’4 298
By: Robert Davis

Marcus Spears has been a force on the Tiger defensive line since his sophomore season. He doesn’t put up eye popping numbers, but the opponents know that they have to stop Spears to have success against LSU. During his All SEC junior campaign, Spears had 49 tackles, 13 for loss, and 6 sacks from his DE position. He had 46 tackles, 3.5 for loss, and 3 sacks during his sophomore season. Spears is so versatile that he was named freshman All SEC as a TE during his true freshman season.

Spears is a beast physically. You will not find very many near 300 pounders with the natural athleticism or speed Spears has. Most players his size are moved inside to tackle, but Spears has been on the outside, and has had success staying out there. Spears isn’t just big, but he brings a great deal of strength to his position. Physically, he brings it all to the table at DE. He is such an athlete that he has played three positions during his time at LSU, playing TE his freshman season along with fullback and DE, and playing DE full time since then.

The knock on Spears is that he doesn’t always play up to his physical ability. A player as big, strong, and athletic as him should just be able to manhandle college offensive lineman, but Spears doesn’t do that all the time. If he played with the aggression that matched his physical tools, we might be looking at a Top 5 pick in this draft.

Marcus Spears is a very good prospect. He may not be the freak pass rusher off the edge, but he can do it all from the end position. If someone gets him to play with more intensity, he could be one of the best players out of this draft. He reminds me a lot of Richard Seymour of the Patriots, with his size and athleticism allowing him to play DE in the NFL. Seymour wasn’t the biggest playmaker in college, but in the NFL, he has developed into one of the best DL’s in the game. I believe Spears will hear his name called n the first round, possibly in the Top 20.

Submit your comments on our NFL draft forums.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Gaede said:
haha...the inevitable "I'm right and the world is wrong" poster...

nope, just an opinion based on the games I saw him play...dude just didnt make amny plays in THOSE games...not saying he NEVER made plays in the others, but in the big games I saw LSU play on TV he didnt do much

David

Reaction score
He does have outstanding 3-4 DE size...

He wasn't dominate in the games I saw him play in ether, but teams did gameplan against him too!

I am not sure if he is good value at 11 but would be good at 20...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The Combines and the personal workouts haven't even happened yet. Teams haven't even began making up their boards. How do you know what's too high or too low to take a player? GBNreport? You know for the last couple of weeks were hearing guys like Troy Williamson and Roddy White for the first time, nobody knows who they are, and then we later find out that they are carrying possible 1st round grades ... its obvious the free internet sites aren't exactly mirroring the NFL personnel departments.