Parnell to start this year?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CATCH17, May 1, 2013.

1. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

4,896 Messages
    4,095 Likes Received
    Parnell did nothing to have a starting job handed to him. Do you trust this staff's offensive line evaluation? If Parnell is good enough, he'll beat a veteran like Winston or Clabo. Nothing wrong with making him earn the job.

2. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

27,084 Messages
    23,068 Likes Received
    Garrett talked about "position flex" of being able to play both Guard and Center, but Jerry clearly said that LT and C are the two most important positions and if those two positions are solid, the rest could be added later.

Now I am not saying that Fredrick would not be good at Guard, I am just saying that this is not what was said by Jerry in the post draft presser. He clearly mentioned how important it was to have a strong center in our scheme.

3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

3,970 Messages
    4,768 Likes Received
    Yes he did IMO. He may have been our best run blocker and his pressure rate was lower than Smith's.

4. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,540 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    I'd love to see Moore signed. I feel better about Parnell at tackle than anyone currently on the roster at guard (excepting Fred if they put him at guard).

5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

8,007 Messages
    5,836 Likes Received
    I would hardly call Winston or Clabo band aids. They are proven good starters in the league. If we can lock down the RT spot for the next 2 years with a guy you know you can count on is never a bad idea.

6. Beast_from_East

27,084 Messages
    23,068 Likes Received
    Exactly.

My question is if Parnell is such a stud now, how come he couldn't beat out the worst RT in the entire league until week 14?

Or was he a stud all along and our incompetent head coach couldn't see it?

Which one is it?

7. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

3,970 Messages
    4,768 Likes Received
    Um, because he was raw? This really isn't hard to figure out.

8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

53,201 Messages
    52,334 Likes Received
    Money.

Doug Free was going to get every opportunity to get back on track because he was signed up long term.

That is why the Cowboys have been so resistant to make a move.

9. Beast_from_East

27,084 Messages
    23,068 Likes Received
    Parnell entered the league in 2009.

It took him from 2009 to week 14 of the 2012 season to finally be good enough to beat out the worst RT in the entire NFL? He was that raw?

Seriously? This is what you are saying that is not that hard to figure out?

WOW.

10. Beast_from_East

27,084 Messages
    23,068 Likes Received

Yea, you are probably right.

Wouldn't be the first time this team determined who starts by the size of their contract instead of their play on the field.

11. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Maybe this is the year Zone Supporter

4,043 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Bull....Jerry is playing mind games with Free. Free ought to know he will go unsigned, or will he? If Free calls his bluff, and Jerry cuts him, he can get re-signed by another club for what Jerry is offering, and be free of Jerry's headgame. He played at a high level two years ago, I'm thinking he can do it again in the right system.

Now, if Jerry signs Clabo, all bets are off.

12. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,540 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    Yes, he was that raw.

He didn't play high school football. He went to college on a basketball scholarship and played one year of college football, his senior year, as a defensive lineman, after the head coach invited him to try out.

He bounced from the Saints as a UDFA to Miami back to the Saints practice squad, where we claimed him in October 2010. We then converted him to a full time offensive lineman.

So he entered the 2012 season with about 1 1/2 years of experience as an offensive lineman. None in high school. None in college.

So yes, he was that raw.

13. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,584 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    uhhh Jerry did not say that during the conference call.

14. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some people hear what they want to hear rather than what is actually said.

15. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Seriously, he's not that naive or clueless enough to announce such a thing about an unproven player before training camp even starts.

16. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

14,697 Messages
    7,387 Likes Received
    This. And apparently it's very common with Cowboys fans.

17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

48,591 Messages
    49,974 Likes Received
    Also, Moore would be good to have next to the inexperienced Parnell. Moore is a long time RG that played 4 years in Callahan's system.

18. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

841 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    What did he say? Could you please summarize for those of us that didnt hear?

19. poke

poke the older I get the better I was

2,584 Messages
    13 Likes Received
  20. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,240 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    The guy had basically never played football before. It's entirely possible that he wasn't ready for serious playing time until last season. Do you not understand that players develop over time?