Parsons as a pass rusher

Hadenough

Reaction score
When a player comes out of the #1 LB's factory, they're never a bust. But instead, tough as nails & top notch athletes.
You got that right! I knew a guy who was a star athlete in highschool. Played LB and had 40 full ride scholarship offers to play football. He chose Penn State and ended up being a 3rd string player who rarely saw the field. Im sure thats a common story though.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well that's up to you Joe, but there's no need for throwing cold water on everyone else's excitement and high expectations for our #1 pick.
Oh boo hoo, Daddy threw cold water on all the children's excitement and high expectations. That's what adults do when the children are getting too rambunctious. You all will get over it.

tunahelper

Reaction score
I’m not usually very impressed by rookie tape, or highlight reels but I will have to say, that Parsons has me super intrigued. It seems as though he really has a knack for “timing” his rush and “getting small” to squirt through a tiny crease in the line.

If he stays healthy, and does what he did in college, we have found us a great one.

It would be fun to watch him spell Gregory at the 9 technique this year. He would be like a bottled up rocket ready to blast off on the edge.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Oh boo hoo, Daddy threw cold water on all the children's excitement and high expectations. That's what adults do when the children are getting too rambunctious. You all will get over it.

Adults? :laugh::lmao::lmao2:
Why don't you just tell us the truth why you dislike the guy so bad instead of making up excuses like "pragmatism", "children getting too rambunctious", etc. etc. LOL

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The undeserved praise that Parsons gets makes me want to barf. He's done nothing folks, not even earned a star for his helmet. Being a college star means nothing. This is the pros.

Joe did last year's defense have stars on their helmets? If so, then earning a star must not mean much because they were horrible.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Adults? :laugh::lmao::lmao2:
Why don't you just tell us the truth why you dislike the guy so bad instead of making up excuses like "pragmatism", "children getting too rambunctious", etc. etc. LOL
See, there you go right there, proving my point of your childish behavior. I've already said I do not like or dislike him. I'm reserving judgment of this guy for another day.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe did last year's defense have stars on their helmets? If so, then earning a star must not mean much because they were horrible.
I agree, I'm not asking for much so stop making a big deal about it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I agree, I'm not asking for much so stop making a big deal about it.
Parsons earning his star is not a big deal to me, it was your subject not mine.
That's OK Joe, we're both Cowboy fans, I just think Parsons deserves a break. :star:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Parsons earning his star is not a big deal to me, it was your subject not mine.
That's OK Joe, we're both Cowboy fans, I just think Parsons deserves a break. :star:
LOL, he'll get a fair chance and that's all he deserves. Go Cowboys!

conner01

Reaction score
depends on how much DQ decides to use him if he ends up being a better DE/OLB in rushing the passer , what you dont decide to then make him 75% a Pass rushing end and on purpose force him into a tadeonal LB role?

time will tell i said potentially and that still stands..
That doesn’t seem to match what DQ has said was gonna be his scheme to me
Parsons is not a 4/3 DE and according to Quinn we will be in 4/3 most of the time where he will blitz some but he’s also gonna be in coverage much of the time

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He has Devin White type potential as a blitzer but blitzing isn't Dan Quinn's game plan.

He'll be in under zone on like 80% of pass plays, which his speed and burst SHOULD excel at, but he isn't the most tested guy as a coverage player. There may be a learning curve.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Where do you play him? I think MLB and don’t change his game. He could learn the edge but idk. I expect him to be Patrick Willis but he could be Demarcus Ware too, it’s just that he’s proven to be the MLB. Also coming from the RB position, I think keep him in the middle. I wouldn’t take Tank or Greggory off the field either. I’m hoping for Bohanna at the NT in a 2 gap 33 or 34. Parsons is going to destroy teams, Saquon Barkley really doesn’t stand a chance, not to knock Barkley. Yea so how would that work if you put Parsons on the edge who can stop Saquon….you have to play Parsons at MLB and I’m excited.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah, they typically do. Interestingly enough, DeMarcus Ware (someone mentioned him earlier) wasn’t really a man among boys in college at Troy, even though it was a small school.

He didn’t start as a freshman (most “Man-among-boys” do) and while he played well and had a lot of athletic ability, he didn’t really dominate at Troy. His senior season he did win defensive player of the year for the Sun Belt Conference with 10.5 sacks, but he didn’t really dominate in his small school environment.

Ware was drafted high because he had great size and athleticism, which we all know did translate to the pro’s.

Parsons, on the other hand, pretty much was a “man-among-boys” from the start… and he did that at the highest level of college football. By the end of his sophomore season at Penn State he was dominant. His final game in the Cotton Bowl was just ridiculous. His play was so dominant that it looked like someone was playing a video game using him.

That was the only time in my life that someone said, “He looks faster than everyone else on the field” and he actually really did look faster than everyone else. He was everywhere. Had he held on to the ball, he would have added two interceptions to his stat line to go along with his 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 3 passes defenses and 14 tackles (and God knows how many TFL’s). That is simply absurd for one game. That is just about a season for some guys. Of course the stats don’t show how much he impacted the opposing offense either, which he undoubtably did as Memphis tried to do anything they could to slow Parsons down.

What made it even more amazing is that he did it as a true sophomore who had only played LB at any level for 2 seasons, including that one. Before the draft I heard one analyst on the NFL network say that he had gone back and watched all of Micah’s games at Penn State and that he could literally see Parsons improving by leaps and bounds from one game to the next. He said he has so much room to grow but that he was already a dominant player. He said that basically, every game was better than the previous one for Micah.

Now that is a man-among-boys… and he was doing it in the Big 10.

We can extrapolate out what his improvement would have been had he played another two years at Penn State… and logic tells us that Parsons would have been incredible against college competition with double his experience at LB. With double the strength training and double the coaching. With more maturity.

It would have been something to see.

Needless to say the college production was there, in spades, and his athleticism is off the charts. You can tell just by the way he moves on the field, but his testing at his pro-day more than verified what our eyes were telling us. He is an elite athlete at 6-3, 245 lbs. and is athletically rare in just about every way a player can be.

You like to see college production at a high level of competition… but you also like to see verifiable NFL type athleticism. Much of the time you have one or the other and you have to figure out if they’ll do it in the pro’s. What you love to see is both, and boy I mean Parsons has both.

So, when you have a guy that was so dominant in the 9th grade that he was offered a scholarship to Penn State as a high school Freshman. A kid that got 18.5 sacks against varsity competition as a Freshman. A guy that played at the highest collegiate level like a man-against-boys, and who tested among the best ever at his position, while having textbook size for that position… well, you feel pretty good about that guy making an impact at the next level.

Literally, the only thing missing from him as a prospect is that he didn’t play his Junior and Senior seasons to get more experience, which just indicates how much better Parsons can actually get.

Obviously, we don’t know for 100% certain that he’s going to play great on the NFL, but for a guy coming out of college (which they all do), he’s about as close to a lock as you can find. There is zero reason to look at Micah and think, “that guy might not make it”. It just doesn’t follow logically.

Add in that I feel very good about how he will be deployed by these coaches, and I have pretty high expectations for Parsons. Will he have some missed plays? Of course… but I think the guy is going to be very good, very quickly.
Yes. The last guy couple of guys that I felt this strongly about before they ever played a down of NFL football were Adrian Pederson and L. Tomlinson. Of course it was on the other side of the ball, but man, he sure looks like he knows what he is doing, rushing the passer.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes. The last guy couple of guys that I felt this strongly about before they ever played a down of NFL football were Adrian Pederson and L. Tomlinson. Of course it was on the other side of the ball, but man, he sure looks like he knows what he is doing, rushing the passer.
Yeah, he is definitely a terrific prospect. There will be a learning curve though, that’s for sure. He’s going to make his mistakes and he’s going to make the wrong reads sometimes, but he’s also going to make some “wow” plays where you just shake your head. The key thing to remember is that he’s going to get better and better as the year goes on. He’ll be making mistakes in September that he won’t be making in December.

I expect Quinn to not overload him in the early parts of the season, and simply add things as the weeks go by. That will be key, IMO. As he grasps what the team wants him to do, they’ll put something else on his plate.

I look for Quinn to have him getting after the QB a lot more than you typically see from a MLB. I do think he will blitz him some… probably even more than he typically uses the blitz. However, I also expect Parsons to get some snaps as a pass rusher (either as SAM or LEO), which you don’t typically see a MIKE LB doing. That’s the thing about Parsons that is somewhat unusual for an off-ball LB; he really has a knack for rushing the QB and the team knows it. I think they’ll put him in situations where he can do that, in addition to playing the Mike spot.

Personally, I’m expecting some mistakes when he’s playing MLB but I think they’ll become fewer and fewer as time goes on.

As for Pederson and Tomlinson… there wasn’t a whole lot of learning involved with playing RB. Once they knew the plays, it was just pretty much run to daylight. Playing MLB has a lot more thinking involved, but once Micah has it down, lookout. The guy is a missle.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not rule out Parsons making the pro bowl at DE and LB this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah, he is definitely a terrific prospect. There will be a learning curve though, that’s for sure. He’s going to make his mistakes and he’s going to make the wrong reads sometimes, but he’s also going to make some “wow” plays where you just shake your head. The key thing to remember is that he’s going to get better and better as the year goes on. He’ll be making mistakes in September that he won’t be making in December.

I expect Quinn to not overload him in the early parts of the season, and simply add things as the weeks go by. That will be key, IMO. As he grasps what the team wants him to do, they’ll put something else on his plate.

I look for Quinn to have him getting after the QB a lot more than you typically see from a MLB. I do think he will blitz him some… probably even more than he typically uses the blitz. However, I also expect Parsons to get some snaps as a pass rusher (either as SAM or LEO), which you don’t typically see a MIKE LB doing. That’s the thing about Parsons that is somewhat unusual for an off-ball LB; he really has a knack for rushing the QB and the team knows it. I think they’ll put him in situations where he can do that, in addition to playing the Mike spot.

Personally, I’m expecting some mistakes when he’s playing MLB but I think they’ll become fewer and fewer as time goes on.

As for Pederson and Tomlinson… there wasn’t a whole lot of learning involved with playing RB. Once they knew the plays, it was just pretty much run to daylight. Playing MLB has a lot more thinking involved, but once Micah has it down, lookout. The guy is a missle.

Great post. I can see Parsons having a learning curve in terms of learning assignments. But to me he instinctively sees the hole as a pass rusher, a lot like a RB. Some of the plays I have seen on tape, I wonder how he fit through the crease so easily.

He may struggle a little bit early on, but he has some instincts that seem innate. Some players just have that. Hopefully it will carry over to the NFL. Sean Lee also seemed to have that ability.