Parsons - Clay Matthews Comparison

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Saw a draft review where someone listed Parsons as similar to Clay Matthews. I thought that was interesting especially since McCarthy was in GB and chose Matthews. Coaches tend to go back to the same well for water. Will McCarthy try to use Parsons in a similar way as he did with Matthews?

Matthews was the 26th pick in 2009. Parsons the 12th. Parsons is a little lighter but much quicker. Matthews was a 3-4 LB. Will the Cowboys be using Parsons as a 3-4 OLB at times? Matthews had 10 sacks as a rookie.

Anyone remember Clay Matthews in college? I don’t. How do they compare in college tape? Would you say Parsons has more talent and potential than Matthews as a rookie?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Saw a draft review where someone listed Parsons as similar to Clay Matthews. I thought that was interesting especially since McCarthy was in GB and chose Matthews. Coaches tend to go back to the same well for water. Will McCarthy try to use Parsons in a similar way as he did with Matthews?

Matthews was the 26th pick in 2009. Parsons the 12th. Parsons is a little lighter but much quicker. Matthews was a 3-4 LB. Will the Cowboys be using Parsons as a 3-4 OLB at times? Matthews had 10 sacks as a rookie.

Anyone remember Clay Matthews in college? I don’t. How do they compare in college tape? Would you say Parsons has more talent and potential than Matthews as a rookie?

Well, the more I look into it.

if Quinn is running a 3-4 in base. Yes Parsons will probably be OLB In those packages.

Or if Quinn is running the 4-3 under. I see Parsons as the SLB more likely. The SLB in the 4-3 under is on the edge, standing next to the strong side DL, which would be Lawrence.

so you would have tank Lawrence, and Parsons on the same edge together in those situations.

Which could be lethal.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Clay Matthews was primarily an edge rusher, at least earlier in his career when he was making pro bowls. I do believe he'd have played DE if he was drafted to a 4-3. More like a Demarcus Ware type, I don't think you'll ever see Parsons with his hand in the dirt, even on 4 down lineman situations.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clay Matthews was primarily an edge rusher, at least earlier in his career when he was making pro bowls. I do believe he'd have played DE if he was drafted to a 4-3. More like a Demarcus Ware type, I don't think you'll ever see Parsons with his hand in the dirt, even on 4 down lineman situations.
He is edge rusher convert, so it's not something thats out of the question

RandyOh

Reaction score
Just get him on the field as much as possible. Either rushing as 3-4LB in base packages, Blitzing as a SAM, or defending the run as a MIKE. Just keep this kid on the field.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Well, the more I look into it.

if Quinn is running a 3-4 in base. Yes Parsons will probably be OLB In those packages.

Or if Quinn is running the 4-3 under. I see Parsons as the SLB more likely. The SLB in the 4-3 under is on the edge, standing next to the strong side DL, which would be Lawrence.

so you would have tank Lawrence, and Parsons on the same edge together in those situations.

Which could be lethal.
I agree in the 3-4 base but when we are in a 4-3 on early downs I think SLB is the least likely spot for him. He'll be in the middle or on the weak side IMO

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree in the 3-4 base but when we are in a 4-3 on early downs I think SLB is the least likely spot for him. He'll be in the middle or on the weak side IMO
They're not going to play a 4-3, ever. They'll be a 3-4 "base" but in nickel 65-70% of the time.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Comparing Parsons to pro LBs at this stage of his career is nothing other than an exercise in futility. Both Parsons and Cox are somewhat raw yet and are subject to a good deal of development, before comparisons of them to pro players are reasonable. Give them time to develop into what they're more likely to be in the long run. That's the best way to be fair and really do them justice. Let's hope the FO hires Sean Lee to teach 'em the how it's done!

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He’s just so raw that it’s hard to say what his potential skill set is.

Right now he’s just a see ball get ball guy and if he’s not rushing the QB you’re not using him to his full potential.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
To me he looks like a young Bobby Wagner and not like Clay Matthews.

I believe the goal should be to at least try to coach him up to be a Bobby Wagner type - where he can basically do anything at the LB position. He's such a raw player at this point due to inexperience playing the position, his ceiling is incredibly high as he gains experience and is coached by NFL level staffs. The floor IMO would be to relegate him to a primarily rushing/blitzing LB.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Comparing Parsons to pro LBs at this stage of his career is nothing other than an exercise in futility. Both Parsons and Cox are somewhat raw yet and are subject to a good deal of development, before comparisons of them to pro players are reasonable. Give them time to develop into what they're more likely to be in the long run. That's the best way to be fair and really do them justice. Let's hope the FO hires Sean Lee to teach 'em the how it's done!

Go back and reread. The comparison is of Parsons and Matthews in college and as rookies in the league.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
They're not going to play a 4-3, ever. They'll be a 3-4 "base" but in nickel 65-70% of the time.

Just curious......so with this typical package, as of now, who would be starting front 7?
Also, isn't Gregory a LBer, instead of DE in this package.

Tank....DE
Woods...DT
Gilmore ...DT
Gregory...DE

Smith.....LBer
LVE........LBer
Parson...LBer

Darn.....I'm confused