Parsons - Clay Matthews Comparison

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I thought Bradlee Anae was the new Clay Matthews!

That might have been last year. This year he is the practice squad Clay Matthews. I don’t see Anae making the roster. Parsons is the 53-man roster Clay Matthews.

Don’t ask me what happens if the Cowboys actually sign the real Clay Matthews. Heads will explode.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hey bud. I don’t know if Quinn said exactly what that poster was saying. But here’s video of the recent press conference.

Quinn does mention being like 3-4 in “base”
But being a 4 man line in nickel which is like 70% of the snaps.

but he leaves it open to some interpretation I think.

Yeah, your right. He says the base will be more of a 34 look and to be honest, Seattle looked more 34 even though technically, it was 43, a lot of times because of the wide sets. Goes on to say that a large majority of time is spent in 4 down now, because of what Offensive sets dictate, which is interesting to me because every time I watched Atlanta, I feel like I saw more 34 then 43. But I will say that what you saw with Atlanta wasn't always what it actually was. They isolated certain areas and tried to create overloads. So 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 etc. They did that a lot when they were successful so wasn't really a team Defensive concept really. They didn't really play true Legion of Boom gap integrity concepts in Atlanta. They gamed it a lot more and played isolated situation football, defensively. I can't say I loved that because while it did work, especially against us, it wasn't really successful throughout the season. I mean, even against us, they still lost. This scheme was bad defensively, in Atlanta, like bottom half of the league bad. Particularly bad against the Pass. Talking bottom 5 bad so hard to say how bad they actually were against the run because who's gonna run the ball if you can pass at will?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
When did Dlaw become big enough to play 3-4 end? Last year in 3-4 alignment he was olb. Hed be the smallest 3-4 end in the nfl regardless of his good run defense.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah, your right. He says the base will be more of a 34 look and to be honest, Seattle looked more 34 even though technically, it was 43, a lot of times because of the wide sets. Goes on to say that a large majority of time is spent in 4 down now, because of what Offensive sets dictate, which is interesting to me because every time I watched Atlanta, I feel like I saw more 34 then 43. But I will say that what you saw with Atlanta wasn't always what it actually was. They isolated certain areas and tried to create overloads. So 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 etc. They did that a lot when they were successful so wasn't really a team Defensive concept really. They didn't really play true Legion of Boom gap integrity concepts in Atlanta. They gamed it a lot more and played isolated situation football, defensively. I can't say I loved that because while it did work, especially against us, it wasn't really successful throughout the season. I mean, even against us, they still lost. This scheme was bad defensively, in Atlanta, like bottom half of the league bad. Particularly bad against the Pass. Talking bottom 5 bad so hard to say how bad they actually were against the run because who's gonna run the ball if you can pass at will?

Good points ABQ. There weee some stark differences between his SEA and ATL defenses.

I’m hoping that the defensive fallout in Atlanta is because Quinn was overwhelmed as HC and didn’t spend the needed time focusing on defense.

It is concerning that his defenses in Atlanta were so poor. But he wouldn’t be the first coach in history to struggle at HC but be much better when able to focus on just one side of the ball.

Atlanta also had a lot of personnel issues, so it’ll be interesting to see how Quinn does eventually deploy the players he has here in Dallas.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
When did Dlaw become big enough to play 3-4 end? Last year in 3-4 alignment he was olb. Hed be the smallest 3-4 end in the nfl regardless of his good run defense.

Will be interesting to see how they use Lawrence for sure. I never thought he fit unless he was going to be LEO but I guess we will see. I think he gets worn down quickly if they play him there but maybe it a rotation thing. But if you do that, it's a lot of money to pay for a rotational player.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Good points ABQ. There weee some stark differences between his SEA and ATL defenses.

I’m hoping that the defensive fallout in Atlanta is because Quinn was overwhelmed as HC and didn’t spend the needed time focusing on defense.

It is concerning that his defenses in Atlanta were so poor. But he wouldn’t be the first coach in history to struggle at HC but be much better when able to focus on just one side of the ball.

Atlanta also had a lot of personnel issues, so it’ll be interesting to see how Quinn does eventually deploy the players he has here in Dallas.

I agree. I hope he finds whatever it is he left in Seattle during the Boom years.

morasp

Reaction score
Saw a draft review where someone listed Parsons as similar to Clay Matthews. I thought that was interesting especially since McCarthy was in GB and chose Matthews. Coaches tend to go back to the same well for water. Will McCarthy try to use Parsons in a similar way as he did with Matthews?

Matthews was the 26th pick in 2009. Parsons the 12th. Parsons is a little lighter but much quicker. Matthews was a 3-4 LB. Will the Cowboys be using Parsons as a 3-4 OLB at times? Matthews had 10 sacks as a rookie.

Anyone remember Clay Matthews in college? I don’t. How do they compare in college tape? Would you say Parsons has more talent and potential than Matthews as a rookie?
They actually spoke to that in the day one press conference talking about him being a pressure player and his natural pass rush talent.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh, ye, who are all high and mighty, and refuse that cardinal sin of comparing certain traits of one player to another. How dare I do such a thing and not patiently wait until you wave your hand and allow others to weigh in on a topic.

Newsflash: This ‘poor guy’ Parsons will not be harmed by any comparisons to others on a football chat. Trust me. LBs are not like that. QBs and CBs? Not so sure.

Isn’t there some other parade you can rain on now?
LOL. I assure you I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade!! For anyone who knows me, that's about the last thing I'm known to do!! So, sorry if I offended anyone.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how they use Lawrence for sure. I never thought he fit unless he was going to be LEO but I guess we will see. I think he gets worn down quickly if they play him there but maybe it a rotation thing. But if you do that, it's a lot of money to pay for a rotational player.

JMO
Yea he wasnt paid 90 mil to play 3-4 DE lol they better figure something out

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Saw a draft review where someone listed Parsons as similar to Clay Matthews. I thought that was interesting especially since McCarthy was in GB and chose Matthews. Coaches tend to go back to the same well for water. Will McCarthy try to use Parsons in a similar way as he did with Matthews?

Matthews was the 26th pick in 2009. Parsons the 12th. Parsons is a little lighter but much quicker. Matthews was a 3-4 LB. Will the Cowboys be using Parsons as a 3-4 OLB at times? Matthews had 10 sacks as a rookie.

Anyone remember Clay Matthews in college? I don’t. How do they compare in college tape? Would you say Parsons has more talent and potential than Matthews as a rookie?
You don't remember Matthews in college because he was a walk on and the juice he was getting from Brian Cushing took a while to kick in.

Reaction score
Hey bud. I don’t know if Quinn said exactly what that poster was saying. But here’s video of the recent press conference.

Quinn does mention being like 3-4 in “base”
But being a 4 man line in nickel which is like 70% of the snaps.

but he leaves it open to some interpretation I think.

I don't think that each DC should create the "identity" of the defense. Everyone knows the identity of the Steelers D over the last fifty years-A 3-4 D with big, strong linemen, fast, physical LBs, & ball hawking DBs. They bring in DCs who agree with their philosophy, not those who change the culture. They already have a great one.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Well, the more I look into it.

if Quinn is running a 3-4 in base. Yes Parsons will probably be OLB In those packages.

Or if Quinn is running the 4-3 under. I see Parsons as the SLB more likely. The SLB in the 4-3 under is on the edge, standing next to the strong side DL, which would be Lawrence.

so you would have tank Lawrence, and Parsons on the same edge together in those situations.

Which could be lethal.

This. 1000 times this LOL

Man... the games Quinn can play with Tank and Parsons on that side make me giddy

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Yeah... The 4-3 under to me just looks like the 3-4 with 1 linebacker standing and the other with his hand in the dirt.

Kind of a smart defense to play as a base with the difficulty in finding real deal edge rushers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hope not because if I'm not mistaken Matthews was a pass rusher. I'd hope Parsons can offer more to this defense than that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah... The 4-3 under to me just looks like the 3-4 with 1 linebacker standing and the other with his hand in the dirt.

Kind of a smart defense to play as a base with the difficulty in finding real deal edge rushers.

That's pretty much it.