Parsons not Top 5?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!! this is my exact sentiment. Parsons combine will catapult him back into top 5 let’s hope we still have it.

His Combine is going to be wild.

Devin White crushed the 40 at his Combine, but tested "just" above average in the agility drills. Isiah Simmons burned down the track and jumped to the moon, but you knew just by the tape that he was stiff.

With Parsons, you see just on film that he's 4.4 fast to the sideline, he's got the raw burst off the snap that translates to huge broad jumps, and he's got looser hips than White ever did. If he tests like I think he's going to test, it's going to be an LB Combine for the ages.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
His Combine is going to be wild.

Devin White crushed the 40 at his Combine, but tested "just" above average in the agility drills. Isiah Simmons burned down the track and jumped to the moon, but you knew just by the tape that he was stiff.

With Parsons, you see just on film that he's 4.4 fast to the sideline, he's got the raw burst off the snap that translates to huge broad jumps, and he's got looser hips than White ever did. If he tests like I think he's going to test, it's going to be an LB Combine for the ages.
Exactly my thought. He could propel himself big time. I hope we make the right decision.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its gonna be a reach for Rousseau more than likely....the obsession with pass rushers is tgrre for all to see,

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
While I agree. We have ignored the defensive side of the ball too long. We get Sewell its not going to stop other offenses from putting up 40 points.
I would disagree a bit. Remember Dak and zeke first year? We didn’t ask Dak to do too much. We had a ball control offense and won the time of possession at close to a 2-1 margin. This helped our defense tremendously because it kept them odd the field. Our d wasn’t that good then either. Granted, it is historically bad this year, but I think our best defense is a good offense with this team until we can turn it around.
As far as parsons goes... I’m not a huge fan. He makes the vast majority of his plays when he’s untouched. This just doesn’t happen much at the NFL level. A lb has to be able to get odd blocks in this league. Not to mention the best linebacker in the nfl still have to have a s line that keeps people odd of them to make plays. We don’t have that s line, so a great lb on this team would look painfully average here.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If Jaylon could rush the passer off the edge I would consider it. I think Jaylon is not big like Aldon and Gregory so it would not work. Jaylon would get destroyed on off tackle plays. I don’t think Parsons is better then Jaylon now so it would be a wasted pick. We just have too many holes on defense to take weak side linebacker no matter how dynamic he is. He would be perfect for the Football Team in Washington.

Im sorry...did you just say you don’t think Parsons will be better than Jaylon? Have you been watching the same team the last 2 seasons?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
These are things the team needs to evaluate. Everything I have read thus far is Parsons the best defensive player in the draft and it's not even close. This defense needs difference makers, if Parson is an elite talent they need to consider taking him.
Parsons is weak side linebacker. That is like drafting Zeke in the top 4 all over again. Unlike Zeke we don’t have the defensive line to protect him. The Cowboys need to trade down and accumulate picks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Im sorry...did you just say you don’t think Parsons will be better than Jaylon? Have you been watching the same team the last 2 seasons?
Parsons dominating college players in 2019 is a whole lot different then coming into a Mike Nolan scheme after not playing football for a year. It’s gonna take time. I can hear the board calling him a but because he misses an assignment or gets injured. Right now Jaylon is light years ahead of Parsons. You guys act like Parsons is Lawrence Taylor. He is not. I don’t think he would be as good as 2018 Jaylon.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Linebacker coaches have a saying: "shoot your gun." You have to be patient enough to read what you're seeing, but once you diagnose it, you don't hesitate and just immediately attack it.

Marcus Mosher posted this cutup on his Twitter. Watch the 0 to 60 burst: Parsons reads, reads, and then he just explodes to attack the ball carrier at 4.4 speed. It's controlled violence.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Parsons dominating college players in 2019 is a whole lot different then coming into a Mike Nolan scheme after not playing football for a year. It’s gonna take time. I can hear the board calling him a but because he misses an assignment or gets injured. Right now Jaylon is light years ahead of Parsons. You guys act like Parsons is Lawrence Taylor. He is not. I don’t think he would be as good as 2018 Jaylon.

Every rookie takes time...any realistic fan is fine with rookie mistakes. Smiths scouting report knocked him for his instincts and eyes so how poorly he’s played shouldn’t be a big surprise.

He’s a much better prospect than Jaylon was.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Parsons is weak side linebacker. That is like drafting Zeke in the top 4 all over again. Unlike Zeke we don’t have the defensive line to protect him. The Cowboys need to trade down and accumulate picks.

I don't care about position value, if he is the only blue chip defender in the class, they need to consider taking him.

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't care about position value, if he is the only blue chip defender in the class, they need to consider taking him.

Yeah, ultimately, at this point in your draft you're looking for impact players.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Every rookie takes time...any realistic fan is fine with rookie mistakes. Smiths scouting report knocked him for his instincts and eyes so how poorly he’s played shouldn’t be a big surprise.

He’s a much better prospect than Jaylon was.
From what I remember about 2016 draft before Jaylon’s injury he was considered the number 1 player on the board over the quarterbacks. The two are similar but Jaylon was considered a better pass rusher. Parsons is probably the better middle linebacker prospect because that is what he played in college but we have LVE in that spot.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Follow the money and past draft picks brother. That is what the Joneses are looking at. Sewell is generational talent and we are not drafting him either.:(:mad:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Follow the money and past draft picks brother. That is what the Joneses are looking at. Sewell is generational talent and we are not drafting him either.:(:mad:

If the Cowboys did maintain the top 3 pick, you can bet they are going to take the best player available again like they did with Zeke a few years back.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys did maintain the top 3 pick, you can bet they are going to take the best player available again like they did with Zeke a few years back.
You think Zeke was the best player available? I think Ramsey was but ok.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You think Zeke was the best player available? I think Ramsey was but ok.

That is what the front office decided.

You say follow the money, yet the last time they had a high pick they decided to take the RB over the Corner.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
From what I remember about 2016 draft before Jaylon’s injury he was considered the number 1 player on the board over the quarterbacks. The two are similar but Jaylon was considered a better pass rusher. Parsons is probably the better middle linebacker prospect because that is what he played in college but we have LVE in that spot.

Where did this myth of Jaylon being a supposedly great pass rusher come from?

In three full seasons at Notre Dame he registered 4.5 sacks.

In just two seasons Parsons has tallied 6.5.

I understand pass rush ability doesn’t always reflect in sack totals but at some point it has to be based in something. Jaylon is effective (as any defender would be) when he’s untouched, but he’s an absolute magnet to blockers and has no arsenal of moves to get off blocks.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
That is what the front office decided.

You say follow the money, yet the last time they had a high pick they decided to take the RB over the Corner.
They had no running back. You knew it was going to either Ramsey or Zeke. The funny thing is they thought Ramsey was a safety.

When I say follow the money I am talking about the contracts. The Cowboys have financial investments in the offensive line and linebackers. They have no money in the cornerbacks or the defensive tackle positions.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Where did this myth of Jaylon being a supposedly great pass rusher come from?

In three full seasons at Notre Dame he registered 4.5 sacks.

In just two seasons Parsons has tallied 6.5.

I understand pass rush ability doesn’t always reflect in sack totals but at some point it has to be based in something. Jaylon is effective (as any defender would be) when he’s untouched, but he’s an absolute magnet to blockers and has no arsenal of moves to get off blocks.
I remember former Commanders GM Vinny Cerato discussing the 2016 draft on his talk show. He said when Jaylon was allowed to rush the passer he had the best pass rushing moves in that draft. He thought Jaylon would be a 3/4 pass rusher like Von Miller before the injury.