Part 2: Call it now - With the 18th pick of the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I made a poll the other week for this but a lot of things have happened since then and I probably should have waited until draft week. (If you pick the right player in the first poll AND the second poll, just consider yourself that much more of a draft guru. ;) ) The linebackers have dropped a little in most mock drafts. Winston Justice continues to be erratic, but may be available when Dallas picks. Jason Allen has climbed back up mock drafts after failing a physical. Antonio Cromartie's name keeps popping up with the Cowboys now. After an early start, Marcus McNeill is pretty much out of the picture now unless the Cowboys trade down. The Cowboys have a slim, slim chance of one of the bigtime defensive tackles dropping to them. We have a much better idea now who the Cowboys will aim for. Jerry Jones has publicly admitted he is looking at 2 defensive picks and 1 offensive pick on the first day.

This poll closes the day before the draft. You have all week to make your final public vote on who you predict for the first 2006 draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys. :cool:

"With the 18th selection of the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys pick....."

S/CB JASON ALLEN, Tennessee
040920foot1.jpg

Mock Drafts: ESPN (Mel Kiper 1.0), USA Today (Nate Davis), Scout.Com, Fox Sports 8.0
Physicals: 6'1" 209 lbs.
Comments: Once thought to be the favorite for the Cowboys, injury question marks dropped him, but making a late charge once again. Possibly could be had after a trade down.
Pros: played both corner & safety in college, physical, coverage abilities, fills immediate hole if plays free safety
Cons: history of injuries - hip injury, shoulder injury, not fully developed at safety

OLB BOBBY CARPENTER, Ohio State
photo01.jpg

Mock Drafts: no major mock draft sites
Physicals: 6'2" 255 lbs.
Comments: A crowd favorite at the Zone but still not showing up on any major mock drafts. History with Parcells always makes someone a likely candidate.
Pros: 3-4 pass rush, hard worker, solid special teamer, fills immediate hole
Cons: coverage liabilities, ankles

CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE, Florida State
8.jpg

Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 7.0, Washington Post
Physicals: 6'2" 208 lbs.
Comments: Has come on as of late as one of the most desired corners. Popped up on some mock drafts because of Jerry's hints that he may draft a corner.
Pros: exceptional speed for his size
Cons: knee injury

WR SANTONIO HOLMES, Ohio State
1561dg8o.jpg

Mock Drafts: Dallas Morning News (Rick Gosselin 1.0)
Physicals: 5'10" 198 lbs.
Comments: Parcells is always looking for a new kick returner and the Cowboys need youth at receiver with Holmes looking like a future replacement for Terry Glenn and the best available talent if the Cowboys go offense.
Pros: explosive speed, good separation, steady hands, outstanding footwork, kick returner potential
Cons: size, can get jammed easily

OT WINSTON JUSTICE, Southern California
sld17hk6.jpg

Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 6.0
Physicals: 6'6" 319 lbs.
Comments: If the Cowboys are interested in grabbing an offensive tackle in the 1st round, he may be the only one worth taking at #18, if he lasts that long.
Pros: played RT entire career (biggest need on team), great run blocker, superb footwork, long arms and great upper body strength
Cons: off year last season, character issues, occasional problems with outside rushers

OLB/DE MANNY LAWSON, North Carolina State
100605gatechncstf.jpg

Mock Drafts: Dallas Morning News (Rick Gosselin 2.0), ESPN (Mel Kiper 2.0), USA Today (Chris Colston), NFL Draft Countdown, Fort Worth Star Telegram (Charean Williams)
Physicals: 6'5" 245 lbs.
Comments: Starting to become a favorite as the draft gets near. Another crowd pleaser at the Zone.
Pros: 3-4 pass rush, very fast, played DE & OLB in college, fills immediate hole
Cons: needs more bulk

S DONTE WHITNER, Ohio State
t1_whitner_all.jpg

Mock Drafts: CBS Sportsline (Pete Prisco), CBS Sportsline (Clark Judge), Sports Illustrated (Don Banks), USA Today (Jim Corbett), USA Today (Matt Pitzer), MSNBC, AP
Physicals: 5'10" 204 lbs
Comments: Still pulls a lot of weight with the analysts who think Dallas looks to improve the safety position on day one.
Pros: leadership, instincts, tackling, physical, fills immediate hole
Cons: size, not used to being locked up man-to-man

S/CB JIMMY WILLIAMS, Virginia Tech
k.Williams.INT.jpg

Mock Drafts: The Sporting News (Dan Pompei)
Physicals: 6'2" 213 lbs.
Comments: Is scattered all over the place in most mock drafts but looking to be drafted around the Cowboys pick.
Pros: physical, good blitzer & press coverage, good instincts, closing speed, fills immediate hole if plays safety
Cons: bad hands, attitude & focus, loses ground on small speedy receivers

OLB/DE KAMERION WIMBLEY, Florida State
199080.jpg

Mock Drafts: NFL.Com (Pat Kirwan); About.Com
Physicals: 6'4" 248 lbs.
Comments: The third favored OLB in the new 3-4 defense, along with Carpenter and Lawson. Will probably be picked around #18.
Pros: 3-4 pass rush, has a frame that could get bulkier, fills immediate hole if can quickly adjust to linebacker
Cons: not much experience at linebacker

OTHER (Some potential candidates either through #18, trade up or trade down)
DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon (possible trade up, probably gone by #18)
S/CB Michael Huff, Texas (were earlier rumors of a trade up)
QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt (only because Drew Bledsoe's successor isn't yet crowned and Cutler may be drafted close to #18)
QB Vince Young, Texas (see above)
LB A.J. Hawk, Ohio State (if the Cowboys want to trade everything, this is the best OLB they could grab)
OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia (see above, only apply to the offensive line)
CB Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina (another highly valued corner minus the size of Cromartie)
OT Eric Winston, Miami (probably had after a trade down)
CB Tye Hill, Clemson (see Jonathan Joseph)
S Ko Simpson, South Carolina (definite trade down)
OT Marcus McNeill, Auburn (early favorite for the Cowboys, could be had in a trade down)
DT Gabe Watson, Michigan (only drafted first if the Cowboys trade down)
RB DeAngelo Williams, Memphis (only listed because the Cowboys have been interviewing some top running backs)

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I think it's gonna be Wimbley...not sure we'll be able to trade down...and the pick is Wimbley.

Ware, James, Akin, and Wimbley.......:bow:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I said "other" because I think Dallas will trade down to get extra picks. I think Dallas really wants to add to the offense but hasn't drafted offesne in the last few years because IMHO Dallas does not want to pay first round money for offense in the draft. I think Dallas also wants to addrss OLB (and possibly FS) which is a deep position this draft. So by trading down, Dallas can possibly get a high 2nd round pick to address OLB, and use it's late 2nd round pick and two third round picks (with the extra 3rd coming from the trade-down) on offense (OL and WR) and possibly FS.

Also, I see a lot of peple are selecting Carpenter in the poll above. I think too many of you are answering the poll by selectng the player you hope Dallas gets at #18, but the question asks about what you think Dallas will actually do. If it were me, I'd pick Carpenter at #18 if he was there, but I don't think Dallas would if trading down is an option.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Trade for the Jets 29th pick and their 3rd pick in the second round.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
at 18 I think they will pick Lawson but it isn't what I would have done

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think if we stay there its likely either a WR or a LB. Most likely I think we really try to trade down.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
We have to get Carp because if New England gets him, we'll never hear the end of it from Burger King singing his praises.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I still say if the Cowboys can trade down and pick up an additional #3 or #4, they pick Santanio Holmes because the drop off at WR is that steep between the first and fourth rounds.

Still think there's a lot of quality depth at offensive tackle/guard and linebacker.

However, if we stay put/pat, I think it's going to be Kamerion Wimberly. A good pass rush negates the necessity for drafting a safety high. And imagine if Wimberly can approach the impact Ware did and having Ware a year more experienced.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
ljs44 said:
They trade down and get Carpenter
Trade down to where? 19 or 20? Cause he's gone to the Pats at 21 book it.

Better off just staying at 18 if we want Carpenter.

aznhalf

Reaction score
If Justice is on the board and we don't take him I'm going to need a new remote.

RedLine

Reaction score
I think the Coyboys will trade down to pick up extra picks unless someone falls to them.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Best scenario is to trade down a couple spots and still get one of the Lawson/Carpenter/Wimbley linebackers.

I'm sure we have a list of 5 to 10 players that we value equally at the 18 spot. Depending on how many are left determines if and how far down we trade. Tier Two holds quite a few players this year.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
austintodallas said:
Trade down to where? 19 or 20? Cause he's gone to the Pats at 21 book it.

Better off just staying at 18 if we want Carpenter.

You may be right....I'm not sure this would be considered a reach since most of these guys beyond the top 10 are so closely rated. We need an impact payer with #18, and either Wimbley or Carpenter would do the trick.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Trade down for McNeil and either a 1st next year or a 2nd and 4th this year.

I really hope Justice makes it to #18 and if he does I just might cry.