Part 2: Call it now - With the 18th pick of the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Trade. The Dallas Cowboys have traded the 18th pick in the first round to the Indinapolis Colts. The Dallas Cowboys have acquired the Colts 1st round pick this year #30 and the Colts 2nd round pick this year #62.
Colts are on the Clock.
The Colts select - Running back - From Minnesota - Laurence Maroney.

San Diego is now on the clock.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Im going with Manny Lawson because I feel that Bobby Carpenter is a smoke screen to get to Manny Lawson... Nobody really expecting Cowboys to select Manny Lawson...

The Cowboys know people before them might want to draft Many Lawson so they don't bother about talking about drafting him, just like they did Ware...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I voted Wimbley, which is where I am going to leave my guess unless something drastic (some sort of trade, credible inside info that got out etc etc) happens between now and Saturday

I dont think Justice will be available, if he is I would bet that he would be the pick

I think 18 is a little early for Carpenter and I am not sold on Lawson at 18 either...I kinda hope somebody else takes him (Lawson) before we pick to be honest...I really worry he'll never be physical enough, or have good enough cover skills to be an OLB in this scheme

David

speedkilz88

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I voted Wimbley, which is where I am going to leave my guess unless something drastic (some sort of trade, credible inside info that got out etc etc) happens between now and Saturday

I dont think Justice will be available, if he is I would bet that he would be the pick

I think 18 is a little early for Carpenter and I am not sold on Lawson at 18 either...I kinda hope somebody else takes him (Lawson) before we pick to be honest...I really worry he'll never be physical enough, or have good enough cover skills to be an OLB in this scheme

David
How is Wimbley going to have better cover skills than Lawson?:confused:

Straight Arrow

Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams. Why? Best Player Available and JJ injury history. I love Barber's effort and Tyson Thompson's speed, but neither are explosive offensive threats that will make an offense better. If all works out, the offense becomes elite and JJ becomes a trade chip for the future.

xpistofer

Reaction score
What I would like and what i think will happen are two different things.

I think Dallas will trade up as far as necessary to take Young.

Several reasons:
1. Jerry spoke very highly of Young, said he could change the NFL, said he thinks he will be tremendous but 'doesn't think the Boys have the ammunition to move up that far to get him...
2. Jerry has a new stadium in 3-4 years just in time for a new young qb to be ready to enter his prime.
3. By this time Romo/Henson will be 30
4. By this time Bledsoe will be 476
5. Next years first rounder will be too low to move up significantly for a qb.
6. Jerry will not be without an elite high profile qb when the stadium opens
7. Jerry has said there are 4 players he would move up for...Young could potentially slide a bit.

I could be wrong...but this is what I think will happen.
I will be ready to take my beating if it doesn't.
:)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
How is Wimbley going to have better cover skills than Lawson?:confused:

just because a guy is fast doesnt mean he can cover...Wimbley just looks more fluid to me, more like Ware...I also like his build better than Lawson's

Lawson is very fast, but I think its more staright line fast...not sure he will be as good going reverse...when I watch him it seems the only thing I ever see him do is put his hand on the ground and try to run around the corner

I'm not against Lawson, if we draft him its because our scouts, Ireland & Parcells think he can play OLB...so I'm fine with that...just saying I'd take Wimbley or Carpenter over Lawson based on what I've seen

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Straight Arrow said:
DeAngelo Williams. Why? Best Player Available and JJ injury history. I love Barber's effort and Tyson Thompson's speed, but neither are explosive offensive threats that will make an offense better. If all works out, the offense becomes elite and JJ becomes a trade chip for the future.

Williams cant gain any mroe yard than JJ behind the kind of blocking we had last yr

better line= better rushing performance by all our RB's

drafting Williams would = overkill

David

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Smokescreens...
Smokescreens...
Smokescreens...
All to cover our one true obvious target...Winston Justice. Our lackluster attempt at fixing the oline in Free Agency is proof enough. That was our biggest weakness, hands down, last season. We need oline and I'm hoping we do what it takes to grab one in the 2nd round also. Doesn't have to be my scenerio to a tee, but trading up for Jean Gilles in the 2nd wouldn't be such a bad thing. Two more than likely starters.

Straight Arrow

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Williams cant gain any mroe yard than JJ behind the kind of blocking we had last yr

better line= better rushing performance by all our RB's

drafting Williams would = overkill

David

As much as I love his skills, JJ can't help the team as a weekly DNP, and the dropoff in running skill hurts the offense.

DeAngelo made an average Memphis OL look better by averaging 6.2 ypc and rushing for 6,000 or so yards.

The man asked for my opinion and I gave it: Best Player Available at #18 = DeAngelo Williams (IMHO).

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
I voted Wimbley. Im seeing a Wimbley,Simpson,and Matua first three rounds. I wouldnt mind at all either. Although I want Cromartie, he is definately more luxury than need. I still think we shouldnt give up on Burnett but I think we want more bulk outside. With Wimbley our LBs would be all in the 250 range which is what Tuna wants.

vaquerosdedallas

Reaction score
LenDale White falls to #18 and Bill Parcells can't resist this powerful runner who is perfect for his style of coaching--ball control:

"LenDale White is a freight train ready to run defenders over. He is a load to bring down and has solidified himself as one of the best power runners in college football. Leading the way for that potent rushing attack of the Trojans, he has been a consistent force in the backfield. He has a great combination of size and speed, and an underrated sense of vision. Many people forget what a great receiver he is. This quality will help him greatly in the draft.

With the right coaching, LenDale White will be an elite running back in this league. In my opinion, he will be a better pro than Reggie Bush, which will come as a surprise to many. His great vision, speed, and size will take him far in the league. LenDale White will be a better pro player then he was a college player, and that is just scary"(Chris Sproule:"About Sports).

Height: 6-2

Weight: 235

40-Yard Dash: 4.50 (EST)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Straight Arrow said:
As much as I love his skills, JJ can't help the team as a weekly DNP, and the dropoff in running skill hurts the offense.

DeAngelo made an average Memphis OL look better by averaging 6.2 ypc and rushing for 6,000 or so yards.

The man asked for my opinion and I gave it: Best Player Available at #18 = DeAngelo Williams (IMHO).

you people that keep bringing up the injury thing need to realize no other RB would have played with the two injuries JJ had either, ok? it wasnt like he was refusing to play because of a sprained toe or a hang nail...the guy had broken bones one yr and a severely sprained knee (which looked much worse when you saw it live)...

DeAngelo Williams isnt exactly iron man either you know? missed two games as with a right knee sprian as a freshman...missed two games with a torn mcl as a soph...broken leg in a bowl game...refused to play vs Tennessee last yr, citing a knee injury

read this from PFW on Deangelo Williams, pay attention to the bold parts-

has a maxed out frame and will not get much bigger, rarely runs out of the I formation and alot of yardage came on delayed runs, not a powerful runner who is going to make a living running between tackles, does not like contact, needs to take better care of the football (read, he fumbles) not an accomplished blocker, decided to sit out with a mild injury vs Tennessee, the best defense he would face all yr and would not play hurt or show the heart of a champion (my insert, so people need to stop with the Emmitt comparisons) acts as if he is the mayor of Memphis and expects to be treated like royalty, not a great practice player and does not do alot of extra work to improve...has a big ego and could change afte a big payday, is shorter than scouts would like, does not have great size and durability is a concern, puts himself first and is not a great team player

David

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Straight Arrow said:

I betcha the Cowboy could get something in a trade for any one of their current running backs. I'd prefer they spend a draft pick on defense, I think JJ/Barber/Thompson get one more year to prove themselves, but I bet Dallas could get even a low round draft pick for TT.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
vaquerosdedallas said:
LenDale White falls to #18 and Bill Parcells can't resist this powerful runner who is perfect for his style of coaching--ball control:

"LenDale White is a freight train ready to run defenders over. He is a load to bring down and has solidified himself as one of the best power runners in college football. Leading the way for that potent rushing attack of the Trojans, he has been a consistent force in the backfield. He has a great combination of size and speed, and an underrated sense of vision. Many people forget what a great receiver he is. This quality will help him greatly in the draft.

With the right coaching, LenDale White will be an elite running back in this league. In my opinion, he will be a better pro than Reggie Bush, which will come as a surprise to many. His great vision, speed, and size will take him far in the league. LenDale White will be a better pro player then he was a college player, and that is just scary"(Chris Sproule:"About Sports).

Height: 6-2

Weight: 235

40-Yard Dash: 4.50 (EST)

If he's physically okay, and he falls to the 2nd, I would not be surprised at all to see the Cowboys shock everyone by grabbing another RB. I get the feeling that Bill is still looking for his goalline guy, but like I posted above, I still think they give the JJ/TT/MB combo one more year. A lot of young players who will only get better. I think RB is one of those positions that has been fixed a little with young talented players. Time to add 'em at linebacker, offensive line, receiver, and other positions that need 'em.