Passing on Randy Moss left a lasting imprint on Jerry (Lamb draft)

Cmac

Reaction score
Let it go. Deep down, he probably realizes, when firing the other JJ....."I messed (clean version) up.".

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Moss was the biggest mistake ever, and Lamb doesn’t come close to reconciling that error. I’m happy with the Lamb, but he ain’t no Moss.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I always blamed Michael Irvin, his cocaine habit, and "his posse of fallen women" (otherwise known as hoers) for the Cowboys passing on Randy Moss. I feel fairly certain they would have picked Moss if not for Irvin's legal issues becoming such an embarrassment for the team.

Whatever Michael Irvin did with cocaine, women, scissors, or a combination of the above did not bother Jerry one bit in light of what he got out of him. Jerry has been more than willing to take a chance on a player with demons.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference, of course, is that Lamb has no character issues, whereas Moss was pegged as a trouble player. But passing on Randy Moss left a deep mental scar on Jerry, I think - trauma that was worsened by the debacle of trading away three 1st-round picks and a third for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams combined.
I don't think Jerry even thought about all that. He just listened to McCarthy and McClay and stuck to the board and took the players they had rated the highest by far.

dallasdave

Reaction score
The difference, of course, is that Lamb has no character issues, whereas Moss was pegged as a trouble player. But passing on Randy Moss left a deep mental scar on Jerry, I think - trauma that was worsened by the debacle of trading away three 1st-round picks and a third for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams combined.

In 2010, Jerry showed he had fully learned the Moss lesson by drafting Dez Bryant - never pass on the Draft's best wide receiver if he falls into your lap - regardless of character, regardless of team depth need. And last night, Jerry took Lamb.
Jerry did the right thing, this time.:cool:

eromeopolk

Reaction score

In 2010, Jerry showed he had fully learned the Moss lesson by drafting Dez Bryant - never pass on the Draft's best wide receiver if he falls into your lap - regardless of character, regardless of team depth need. And last night, Jerry took Lamb.
Passing on Randy Moss with a Cowboys scout in his hometown with airplane tickets to Dallas was just plain Jerry the Dumbo GM Jones stupid. Stick to the got darn draft board and let the experts do the work.

plasticman

Reaction score
Lasting impression? Nothing leaves a lasting impression on Jerry. It has always been so easy for him to forget.

Let's put this in context, once and for all. I hear it all the time. Moss was the one that got away, right? Jerry should have ignored the terrible publicity and negative public opinion generally associated with the character of some of the players that created his hesitancy, right?

Except that something even worse was happening at the time.

The Cowboys began to lose and the decline was practically overnight. Aikman got old and completely immobile. Emmitt Smith barely got a thousand yards that season. He scored a meager 4 TD's just two seasons after setting the record for rushing TD's. Jerry fired his coach, Barry Switzer. Free agency gutted the deepest talent pool in the league. Off field issues were making national headlines.

Drafting Moss would have been a total nightmare. His off field issues would have been magnified tenfold as a Cowboy. He wouldn't have stayed beyond his first contract.

In Minnesota, he was on a winning team. Randal Cunningham was his QB. He played opposite Chris Carter. His rookie season the Vikings went 15-1, they went 36-12 his first three seasons. Still, he only lasted six seasons in Minnesota.

How happy would he have been trying to catch passes from Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter under the fine tutelage of Dave Campo while enduring back to back to back 5-11 seasons? Jerry is leaving out an awful lot in order to enjoy his fantasy of a productive Cowboy career for Moss.....never would have happened.

In Dallas he would have been a frustrated, unhappy, complaining misfit.

He lasted two years as a Raider. They won a total of 6 games during those two seasons, with QB's like Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walters.

His career was revitalized during his Patriot years and a shaky truce with their HC and QB. Winning cures a lot.

ghst187

Reaction score
I always blamed Michael Irvin, his cocaine habit, and "his posse of fallen women" (otherwise known as hoers) for the Cowboys passing on Randy Moss. I feel fairly certain they would have picked Moss if not for Irvin's legal issues becoming such an embarrassment for the team.

love the playmaker but You are probably right.
Passing on Moss likely cost us at least one championship. Can you imagine Aikman throwing to Moss? Look what Miss did with XFL-caliber talent Culpepper....

ghst187

Reaction score
If there’s someone Jerry should lament passing on more than Moss....A-Aron Rodgers...

Thomas82

Reaction score
I’m sure he’s regretted it but it is what it is now.

When a player is rated the top prospect in their position and they fall in your lap, you take him. Things like that don’t fall your way in every draft. Seize it.

And to think, we end up drafting his son.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Lasting impression? Nothing leaves a lasting impression on Jerry. It has always been so easy for him to forget.

Let's put this in context, once and for all. I hear it all the time. Moss was the one that got away, right? Jerry should have ignored the terrible publicity and negative public opinion generally associated with the character of some of the players that created his hesitancy, right?

Except that something even worse was happening at the time.

The Cowboys began to lose and the decline was practically overnight. Aikman got old and completely immobile. Emmitt Smith barely got a thousand yards that season. He scored a meager 4 TD's just two seasons after setting the record for rushing TD's. Jerry fired his coach, Barry Switzer. Free agency gutted the deepest talent pool in the league. Off field issues were making national headlines.

Drafting Moss would have been a total nightmare. His off field issues would have been magnified tenfold as a Cowboy. He wouldn't have stayed beyond his first contract.

In Minnesota, he was on a winning team. Randal Cunningham was his QB. He played opposite Chris Carter. His rookie season the Vikings went 15-1, they went 36-12 his first three seasons. Still, he only lasted six seasons in Minnesota.

How happy would he have been trying to catch passes from Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter under the fine tutelage of Dave Campo while enduring back to back to back 5-11 seasons? Jerry is leaving out an awful lot in order to enjoy his fantasy of a productive Cowboy career for Moss.....never would have happened.

In Dallas he would have been a frustrated, unhappy, complaining misfit.

He lasted two years as a Raider. They won a total of 6 games during those two seasons, with QB's like Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walters.

His career was revitalized during his Patriot years and a shaky truce with their HC and QB. Winning cures a lot.
Completely wrong. Who cares if Aikman couldn't move, neither could Jeff George and we know what Moss did for his career with every other bum QB he played with. Moss wouldve rejuvenated this ball club with a nice new offensive minded HC in Gailey. No doubt in my mind Moss wouldve gotten us to the championship game in 98 just as he did with the Vikings. Jerry didn't make the gamble for once and missed out on it, no other way to put it. Moss was a once in a lifetime, not decade, lifetime player. Barry Sanders, Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, Deion Sanders, Michael Vick, Lawrence Taylor. You never pass on them, you take that chance.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I've never thought about it like that. I think you could be right. Cause Jerry had to cover up an attempted murder by Mike. When he stabbed an offensive lineman in the neck with a pair of scissors.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Hope we sign Moss' son Thadeus. Looks like a decent blocking TE. And it might take off the Moss Curse.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was evident Jerry learned his lesson when he took Dez in 2010. Dez’s fall in the first round was similar to Mosses fall back in 98. Both fell in the first round due to off the field concerns.

TheHerd

Reaction score
We picked 8th, and More was drafted 21. Why aren't the other 12 teams traumatized by passing on Moss?

plasticman

Reaction score
Completely wrong. Who cares if Aikman couldn't move, neither could Jeff George and we know what Moss did for his career with every other bum QB he played with. Moss wouldve rejuvenated this ball club with a nice new offensive minded HC in Gailey. No doubt in my mind Moss wouldve gotten us to the championship game in 98 just as he did with the Vikings. Jerry didn't make the gamble for once and missed out on it, no other way to put it. Moss was a once in a lifetime, not decade, lifetime player. Barry Sanders, Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, Deion Sanders, Michael Vick, Lawrence Taylor. You never pass on them, you take that chance.

George was a Viking for one seasons before he spent his last two as the backup in Washington so I really don't see what Moss did for him.

Prior to drafting Moss, the Viking had one losing season in their previous 12. The offense was filled with Pro Bowlers.

Other teams in the 90's could have absorbed the publicity of Moss bumping a cop with his car or being arrested for weed or date violence, not the Cowboys.

But it wasn't Moss's problems that prevented him from being a Cowboy, it was the perception created by the previous actions of Cowboy players. The team was out of control off the field and both fans and the law wanted it stopped.

As a Cowboy, five of Moss's first 8 games would be with Jason Garrett as his QB. He could not have replicated his rookie numbers under such conditions.

Remember, as soon as the Vikings began losing Moss was out of Minnesota. In Dallas it would have been downright ugly. Im not dead wrong about that.