Passing on Randy Moss left a lasting imprint on Jerry (Lamb draft)

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
George was a Viking for one seasons before he spent his last two as the backup in Washington so I really don't see what Moss did for him.

Prior to drafting Moss, the Viking had one losing season in their previous 12. The offense was filled with Pro Bowlers.

Other teams in the 90's could have absorbed the publicity of Moss bumping a cop with his car or being arrested for weed or date violence, not the Cowboys.

But it wasn't Moss's problems that prevented him from being a Cowboy, it was the perception created by the previous actions of Cowboy players. The team was out of control off the field and both fans and the law wanted it stopped.

As a Cowboy, five of Moss's first 8 games would be with Jason Garrett as his QB. He could not have replicated his rookie numbers under such conditions.

Remember, as soon as the Vikings began losing Moss was out of Minnesota. In Dallas it would have been downright ugly. Im not dead wrong about that.
He resurrected Cunningham, George, Brad Johnson and made Culpeppers career. He was fine in Minnesota and anyone who thinks Chris Carters head is on any better than Irvins is nuts. Michael woulda been a better mentor to Randy. Woulda been awesome.

Ozone22

Reaction score
I really wish these whole "He passed on Moss" type articles will end. He has regret. Every team does.

Some act like the Cowboys were the only team that didn't draft Moss that year. How many teams passed on Marino, Brady, Warner, Romo, and the list goes on.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I always blamed Michael Irvin, his cocaine habit, and "his posse of fallen women" (otherwise known as hoers) for the Cowboys passing on Randy Moss. I feel fairly certain they would have picked Moss if not for Irvin's legal issues becoming such an embarrassment for the team.

It was exactly that.

The internet wasn't a thing then that everyone had. There wasn't social media, but the TV and print media heavily implied that the Cowboys were going to thug it up and get Moss.

Moss was an an insane no brainier for the Cowboys. They had a need at DE but after Harper left there was a void at WR #2, let alone every step behind that. They were super thin at the position and would be until they got Ismail and even then that was short lived as Irvin got hurt not long after his acquisition.

WR was such an issue for the Cowboys then that the offense went as Irvin did. When they lost him in the playoff game in Carolina, that game was done.

Randy Moss would've been transformative for the Cowboys, not in spite of Irvin but because of him. The two of them together would've been insane.

I kind of wonder if the next year that game in Philly might have been different with Moss. The season would've been.

I hope Cooper, Gallup and Lamb will be too.

plasticman

Reaction score
He resurrected Cunningham, George, Brad Johnson and made Culpeppers career. He was fine in Minnesota and anyone who thinks Chris Carters head is on any better than Irvins is nuts. Michael woulda been a better mentor to Randy. Woulda been awesome.
I know my opinion is not mainstream and I did pay attention to some good points you made. In the end, we will never know.

One final thought and I'll leave it alone.

Mineapolis is not Dallas, the Cowboys are not the Vikings. Could Moss have survived the intense scrutiny, could he have resisted the temptations, the ready made traps?

Could a 21 year old Randy Moss possess the willpower and the discipline to ignore the invincible, self entitled Superstar atmosphere that the Cowboy lockeroom became? Because that was what ultimately destroyed the dynasty more than anything else.