Patience and Player Development

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thankfully none of us as fans are in charge of the Cowboys roster. Because most fans have zero patience for a bedrock of NFL success: Having the patience and skill to let a player develop. Because very few players arrive in the NFL from a college program ready to immediately be what they were drafted to be.

Very few NFL players are ”plug and play” with immediate success upon entry. Very few NFL players just walk in the door from their college campus and immediately play lights out. It is a transition. The difference between the quality of play in the NFL and college football is off the charts. Many players coming out of college have the potential to be really good…IF… a team has the patience and coaching talent to develop them into their potential.

Look at the list of great Cowboys players who were neither immediate starters much less stars immediately. In fact all these guys were “developmental players” who took a few years to develop:
  • Rayfield Wright
  • Roger Staubach
  • Nate Newton
  • Jay Novacek
  • Mark Tunei
  • Tony Romo
  • DeMarcus Lawrence
Yes there are tons of great cowboys players who are immediate impact guys- like Bob Lily, Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes. Tony Dorsett, Michael Irvin, Randy White, Larry Allen, and many others. But most players need a little time to develop. Some may even take 3 years. Even greats like Troy and Cedee Lamb had some growing pains.

As we end the regular season, this is a reminder that some of the young guys on this team may be better than they appear. And there may be some sleeper guy on a PS that’s just waiting to be developed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m a big believer in player development but guys you take with premium picks, outside of QBs, need to hit the ground running quicker than others.

A guy like Mazi Smith is very frustrating to me because if he doesn’t become a good pass rusher even at his best it’s not ever going to be worth a premium pick.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thankfully none of us as fans are in charge of the Cowboys roster. Because most fans have zero patience for a bedrock of NFL success: Having the patience and skill to let a player develop. Because very few players arrive in the NFL from a college program ready to immediately be what they were drafted to be.

Very few NFL players are ”plug and play” with immediate success upon entry. Very few NFL players just walk in the door from their college campus and immediately play lights out. It is a transition. The difference between the quality of play in the NFL and college football is off the charts. Many players coming out of college have the potential to be really good…IF… a team has the patience and coaching talent to develop them into their potential.

Look at the list of great Cowboys players who were neither immediate starters much less stars immediately. In fact all these guys were “developmental players” who took a few years to develop:
  • Rayfield Wright
  • Roger Staubach
  • Nate Newton
  • Jay Novacek
  • Mark Tunei
  • Tony Romo
  • DeMarcus Lawrence
Yes there are tons of great cowboys players who are immediate impact guys- like Bob Lily, Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes. Tony Dorsett, Michael Irvin, Randy White, Larry Allen, and many others. But most players need a little time to develop. Some may even take 3 years. Even greats like Troy and Cedee Lamb had some growing pains.

As we end the regular season, this is a reminder that some of the young guys on this team may be better than they appear. And there may be some sleeper guy on a PS that’s just waiting to be developed.
We have several sleepers on this team guys like Donovan Wilson, Armstrong, i'd go even far as to say Tyler Smith, even though he was drafted in the 1st, many didn't know who he was, and thought we were wrong for picking him

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m a big believer in player development but guys you take with premium picks, outside of QBs, need to hit the ground running quicker than others.

A guy like Mazi Smith is very frustrating to me because if he doesn’t become a good pass rusher even at his best it’s not ever going to be worth a premium pick.
I agree with this, and Haze! I struggle to believe that a player that's picked made an NFL roster can't make some sort of impression at least, i'm not saying be all world in your first year. Mazi is that premium pick, and we expect much more from a guy that's a premium pick. Yes he's raw, but i'm sure he's able to get better every game, and it hasn't seemed this way

Desperado

Reaction score
Truth. I have seen calls to fire every coach and most of the players this year. Yet here we are, one game away from division championship and #2 seed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Truth. I have seen calls to fire every coach and most of the players this year. Yet here we are, one game away from division championship and #2 seed.
no no no not fire, just maybe demoted a little to light a fire under them

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m frustrated with Mazi too. But it’s still way too early to write him off.

pitt33

Reaction score
In before all the Mazi and Taco and Hill posts.:laugh:

I think we see a big improvement from Mazi in 2024. Then even better in 2025.
It would have to be a quantum leap from what he is now to be serviceable.

1942willys

Reaction score
Things are so very different nowadays; you cannot stash people on the roster for years and develope them because of FA and the Cap.
And you should NEVER pick a developmental player in the first rd.
I wanted a bit NT for years but to pick one that needs so much improvement in the first rd is just plain DUMB

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thankfully we're not in charge of personnel rather than the guys who are and have failed for 3 decades.

Whew.
The guys in charge of this thing owe whatever success this org has on the field to Will McClay, and many other coaches and staff. JJ and son are just rich boys at the craps table with no limits on how many dice rolls they get. No other FO (other than the bengals) have lifetime contracts regardless of results, so yeah, there’s that, lol.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Interesting note that Mark Tuinei was a defensive tackle his first few years in the NFL. Then he became the most underrated left tackle of the 1990's.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I don’t believe the premise that most college football players are not ready for the NFL. In fact, I would guess that there are a lot of college players who practice and train as much as the pros. Now, even the college players are getting money. The college game has changed so much. Parsons dominated starting in camp.

If there were a game between a pro team and the top college team, I would expect it to be competitive with the top college team losing by about 10 points.

I think a team of the top college players for that year with 3 weeks of practice together, would beat an NFL team drafting in the top 8.

For many new players, it is a matter of getting practice reps and an opportunity to play.

Jstopper

Reaction score
I don’t believe the premise that most college football players are not ready for the NFL. In fact, I would guess that there are a lot of college players who practice and train as much as the pros. Now, even the college players are getting money. The college game has changed so much. Parsons dominated starting in camp.

If there were a game between a pro team and the top college team, I would expect it to be competitive with the top college team losing by about 10 points.

I think a team of the top college players for that year with 3 weeks of practice together, would beat an NFL team drafting in the top 8.

For many new players, it is a matter of getting practice reps and an opportunity to play.
You are out of your mind if you think a top college team is keeping that game within 10 points. The best Alabama team would be lucky to not get blown out by 30 against a team like the Commanders. A top college team may have 6-7 guys who are going to the NFL. An NFL team has 22 guys who are in the NFL. They keep statistics on these things, most players are not ready to hit the ground running their rookie season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Sorry man- The Carolina Panthers…the NFL’s worst team would smoke Michigan, Alabama, Washington or Texas…or any college team you want to select. The talent difference between the NFL and college football is huge.

For that very reason it’s important when looking at college highlight films to notice who the opponent is. Some of these highlights of college players are being made against college kids from some directional school like (fake name) North Dakota Tech State A&M that will never even be a camp body at an NFL training camp.

No the quality of NFL football is light years better than college.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You are out of your mind if you think a top college team is keeping that game within 10 points. The best Alabama team would be lucky to not get blown out by 30 against a team like the Commanders. A top college team may have 6-7 guys who are going to the NFL. An NFL team has 22 guys who are in the NFL. They keep statistics on these things, most players are not ready to hit the ground running their rookie season.
Only one way to find out. I imagine a surprise like the AFC and NFC had a very long time ago back in the 1960s.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Sorry man- The Carolina Panthers…the NFL’s worst team would smoke Michigan, Alabama, Washington or Texas…or any college team you want to select. The talent difference between the NFL and college football is huge.

For that very reason it’s important when looking at college highlight films to notice who the opponent is. Some of these highlights of college players are being made against college kids from some directional school like (fake name) North Dakota Tech State A&M that will never even be a camp body at an NFL training camp.

No the quality of NFL football is light years better than college.
Sure would be fun to find out. A lot of people would watch. The NFL and college would make a ton of money if there was a game. The players could all share the money. Better yet, a winner take all the money. If the college team wins, they get it all. If the college team covers the spread, they get 67%. It would be one of the most watched football games ever. The hype would be fun. Better than a Pro Bowl.