Patience and Player Development

CCBoy

Reaction score
DO you actually know how to have an intelligent debate or are you so insecure that anytime anyone disagrees with him you become a three year old?
I have a BA...you?

I didn't fail recess as you...Even play before? No, football...and what level, Ace. And you are not my judge on character. Mr. make believe. I don't have to rely upon a lie to discuss. Throw up on this fact: there still is no right way to do the wrong thing. You brought insult on stance in...and never got off.

White and Lilly played 3 seasons until arriving at NFL quality strength...now shut up and get lost.

CCBoy

Reaction score
When was that? I don’t remember that at all.
1934 to 1976

The Chicago Charities College All-Star Game was a preseason American football game played from 1934 to 1976 between the National Football League (NFL) champions and a team of star college seniors from the previous year.

The pro teams won 16 of the last 17 College All-Star Games, and few of those games were even close.

The last game the College All-Stars won came in 1963, when the Green Bay Packers fell to the College All-Stars 20-17. Packers coach Vince Lombardi felt humiliated.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...the-college-all-star-game-came-to-a-rainy-end

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thankfully none of us as fans are in charge of the Cowboys roster. Because most fans have zero patience for a bedrock of NFL success: Having the patience and skill to let a player develop. Because very few players arrive in the NFL from a college program ready to immediately be what they were drafted to be.

Very few NFL players are ”plug and play” with immediate success upon entry. Very few NFL players just walk in the door from their college campus and immediately play lights out. It is a transition. The difference between the quality of play in the NFL and college football is off the charts. Many players coming out of college have the potential to be really good…IF… a team has the patience and coaching talent to develop them into their potential.

Look at the list of great Cowboys players who were neither immediate starters much less stars immediately. In fact all these guys were “developmental players” who took a few years to develop:
  • Rayfield Wright
  • Roger Staubach
  • Nate Newton
  • Jay Novacek
  • Mark Tunei
  • Tony Romo
  • DeMarcus Lawrence
Yes there are tons of great cowboys players who are immediate impact guys- like Bob Lily, Mel Renfro, Bob Hayes. Tony Dorsett, Michael Irvin, Randy White, Larry Allen, and many others. But most players need a little time to develop. Some may even take 3 years. Even greats like Troy and Cedee Lamb had some growing pains.

As we end the regular season, this is a reminder that some of the young guys on this team may be better than they appear. And there may be some sleeper guy on a PS that’s just waiting to be developed.
Wilson, Diggs, Fergie, Pollard, Steele, DLaw, Armstrong, Osa, I could go on. All of these guys currently on the roster took a little bit to develop, but they turned into very good players for the Cowboys in the medium to long term.

I am not one to leave a player out for dead after an anonymous rookie year, but pretty much each and every one of these guys showed flashes of what they were going to eventually become. DLaw had a 2 sack game in the playoffs against Detroit (including the game sealing strip sack), Osa stacked up a few sacks and TFLs in his early years, Fergie made a handful of plays in the passing game that made you think he could become something.

Let's hope that this year's draft class is just a little bit slow on the uptake.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
DLaw was excellent as a rookie, and had the monster playoff game, he was just injured early. The rest of those guys played a million years ago.

The development curve isn't the same today.

Hardline

Reaction score
I take the Tom Landry approach to player development.
3 years .

JayFord

Reaction score
this fanbase wants results day 0 and sometimes it doesnt work like that

sometimes you have to wait a season or 2

3rd season they better be vying for a pro bowl though if they were developing for 2 seasons