News: Patriots Bill O’Brien Reacts to ‘Interrogating’ Ex Cowboys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The New England Patriots are preparing for a tough Week 3 opponent in the Dallas Cowboys. Might they seek the wisdom and counsel of a pair of ex Dallas players now wearing a Pats uniform?

As the Patriots (1-2) and Cowboys (2-1) prepare for their Week 4 matchup this weekend at AT&T Stadium, Schottenheimer expressed his tongue-in-cheek [with a twist of seriousness] belief that Pats coach Bill Belichick and his staff may be conducting some intense questioning of former Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott and quarterback Will Greer — both of which now wear Patriots blue.

In short, the Dallas OC has, at least, entertained the idea that Belichick and the Patriots may attempt to extract some of the signals and secrets of their offense from both Grier and Elliott.

“We know Will [Greer] knows where a lot of the bones are buried,” Schottenheimer said. “We know Zeke [Elliott] does as well … I’m sure [Grier] is definitely being interrogated and spending a lot of late nights with their defensive coaching staff.”

“Interrogating?” O’Brien said with a quizzical chuckle. “Schotty is a good guy … I’ve known him for a long time. I think that’s the way it is every week and every year in this league. There are guys that come into your organization off of teams that you’re about the play … and it goes both ways.”

After all, Dallas employs a talented twosome of former Patriots as well, in cornerback Stephon Gilmore and receiver Brandin Cooks.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/new...rian-schottenheimer-bill-obrien-interrogating

Carson

Reaction score
The New England Patriots are preparing for a tough Week 3 opponent in the Dallas Cowboys. Might they seek the wisdom and counsel of a pair of ex Dallas players now wearing a Pats uniform?

As the Patriots (1-2) and Cowboys (2-1) prepare for their Week 4 matchup this weekend at AT&T Stadium, Schottenheimer expressed his tongue-in-cheek [with a twist of seriousness] belief that Pats coach Bill Belichick and his staff may be conducting some intense questioning of former Dallas running back Ezekiel Elliott and quarterback Will Greer — both of which now wear Patriots blue.

In short, the Dallas OC has, at least, entertained the idea that Belichick and the Patriots may attempt to extract some of the signals and secrets of their offense from both Grier and Elliott.

“We know Will [Greer] knows where a lot of the bones are buried,” Schottenheimer said. “We know Zeke [Elliott] does as well … I’m sure [Grier] is definitely being interrogated and spending a lot of late nights with their defensive coaching staff.”

“Interrogating?” O’Brien said with a quizzical chuckle. “Schotty is a good guy … I’ve known him for a long time. I think that’s the way it is every week and every year in this league. There are guys that come into your organization off of teams that you’re about the play … and it goes both ways.”

After all, Dallas employs a talented twosome of former Patriots as well, in cornerback Stephon Gilmore and receiver Brandin Cooks.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/new...rian-schottenheimer-bill-obrien-interrogating
Solid comparison

Grier was in camp with this team and spent a few years here. He was released 4 weeks ago.

Gilmore last played in NE in 2020. Cooks in 2017. I am sure they will be able to steal some plays and knowledge

Cowboys22

Reaction score
What could they tell them that they can’t see on film unless they were specifically running stuff in camp and announcing this is what we will do against the Patriots. If they were doing that before cuts, then they deserve to get blown out. I highly doubt they were and so I see nothing to be gained from former players who have no knowledge of the current week’s game plan.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its a really smart move no matter how you slice it. Typical Belli mindset that he will do anything to win.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Grier never learned the plays, that's why he never beat out Rush. shrugs. Zeke, lol, "run fast, slam into guy run fast"

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Yeah, teams take players to glean what they can gathering Intel on the other team..

Duh.

CCBoy

Reaction score
How many years has New England legally or not beat the trail to insider information about operation of opponent information and knowledges?

They still attempt to lie with a straight face?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What could they tell them that they can’t see on film unless they were specifically running stuff in camp and announcing this is what we will do against the Patriots. If they were doing that before cuts, then they deserve to get blown out. I highly doubt they were and so I see nothing to be gained from former players who have no knowledge of the current week’s game plan.
You would be surprised what can be revealed pertaining to gameplans. It may or may not help, but having that knowledge can be fruitful.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
You saw what happened last time they pressured Dak? He threw for 400 yards.
I have always wondered why when the QB throws a 5 yard pass and the receiver or RB turns it into a 40 yard gain the credit for yardage goes to the QB. But I get it, this is how the stats are compiled.

Since all Dak throws now are screens the receivers and RB are going to have to step up their YAC to make their QB look a little better than he is.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
"Bill, its pretty simple actually. Stop Pollard, Take away the verticals and make Dak hit moving targets across the formation."
Bill: "Thanks Zeke."
Will: "Run a power trap game out of a jet sweep look. The D is suspect up the middle."
Zeke: "Let's Eat"

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is something the fans and media make a bigger deal than the reality. Always been that way. I think the only time this becomes a game changer is when the coach was over that team the previous year and his replacement has adopted most of the same systems. (e.g. Buccaneers/Raiders Super Bowl)