Patriots | Team not likely to franchise Vinatieri

KingTuna

Reaction score
Patriots | Team not likely to franchise Vinatieri
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:32:58 -0800

Tom E. Curran, of the Providence Journal, reports New England Patriots PK Adam Vinatieri is not likely to have the franchise tag slapped on him by the team. The team is not willing to spend $3.01 million on him for the 2006 season and must hope to re-sign before March 3 to prevent him from hitting the free agent market.

I have 2 words for you....

SIGN HIM!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hmmm. Do you really leave a team that puts you in a position to win SuperBowls with your kicks?

They may not franchise him but I think they will sign him long term.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Hmmm. Do you really leave a team that puts you in a position to win SuperBowls with your kicks?

They may not franchise him but I think they will sign him long term.

He just may want to GET PAID. I wouldnt be too suprised if he left for more money. He deserves it! Especially after the horrible display of kicking all around the league this past season
:mule:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Adam Vinatieri and think he is a very good kicker but no way would I spend over 3 mill a year for him or any other kicker. I understand the importance of have a quality kicker so I don't need a lecture on the importance of the position.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I like Adam Vinatieri and think he is a very good kicker but no way would I spend over 3 mill a year for him or any other kicker. I understand the importance of have a quality kicker so I don't need a lecture on the importance of the position.
If you have the cap room, sure, but if your watching every penny, you cant afford a top tier kicker. 2-3 mill for kicker is alot when you need 4 olinemen, 2 LBs a FS and K.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
If you have the cap room, sure, but if your watching every penny, you cant afford a top tier kicker. 2-3 mill for kicker is alot when you need 4 olinemen, 2 LBs a FS and K.

I don't know many teams willing to pay the kicker that much even the Pats seem to be unwilling to fork that kind of money out for Vinatieri. Other than the Raiders you don't see teams drafting kickers in rd 1. No doubt the position is important but that is some big bucks for a kicker.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
The market has kind of been set. Neil Rackers signed a four-year, $6.4 million extension with the Cardinals in November that included a $3 million signing bonus. That's 1.6 per season.

Vinateiri won't get $3 million a season, but I think he will probably get something similar to Rackers. Rackers has probably been better than Vinateiri the past couple of years statistically, but Viniateiri has a bigger name and spotlight playing for the Superbowl Champions. Even if he gets more, I don't think he'll get substantially more. He won't break the bank. He's 33 years old, and there are a lot good kickers on the market to satiate the demand.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Patriots are unlikely to place their franchise tag on Vinatieri
New England is unwilling to pay the $3 million price tag for their star kicker, and now have until March 3 to work out a deal and prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

01:00 AM EST on Thursday, February 23, 2006
BY TOM E. CURRAN
Journal Sports Writer

Adam Vinatieri will come one step closer to hitting the open seas of free agency today.

The Patriots have until 4 p.m. today to designate a franchise player, and all indications are that they won't use the designation. New England made Vinatieri their franchise player in 2002 and 2005. Not doing it today means that -- unless the team and the kicker come to a contract accord before March 3 -- he will be an unrestricted free agent.

The franchise tag allows a team to keep a player out of free agency. Usually, that means paying him a salary equal to the top five salaries at his position. But if a player is already the highest paid at his position, he must be given a 20-percent raise over his previous year's salary.

The Patriots gave Vinatieri the 20-percent bump last year and paid him $2.51 million. But the expense of franchising Vinatieri in 2006, $3.01 million, is just too rich for New England. By comparison, the highest salaried kicker on the books for 2006 according to the NFLPA Web site is Arizona's Neil Rackers, who will make $1.8 million.

Best-case scenario for Vinatieri and the Patriots is a new deal before March 3. Rackers, the league's most productive kicker over the last two seasons, signed a four-year, $6.4-million extension with the Cardinals last November that included a $3-million signing bonus. Certainly, Vinatieri would command the same money, maybe more.

Attempts to lock up Vinatieri long-term during the 2005 offseason failed. There have been no substantial conversations during this offseason.

The 10-year veteran, at 33, is closer to the end of his career than the start and had a career-low 25 field goal attempts in 2005 (making 20). Still, he is the gold standard for kicking in unkind weather and heavy pressure. There is only one kicker in the Hall of Fame (Jan Stenerud), but Vinatieri is a pretty good bet to get there one day thanks to his game-winning kicks in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII.

He's played his entire career with the Patriots and is one of the team's best-liked players. If he hits the open market, Vinatieri is almost certain to be contacted by the Dallas Cowboys. Bill Parcells, the Cowboys head coach, initially signed Vinatieri back in 1995 when he was coaching the Patriots. Dallas has had kicking woes the last few seasons.

Wide receiver David Givens is another high-profile Patriot who'll become a free agent March 3 if a new deal isn't worked out before then. All has been quiet on that front so far.

tcurran@projo.com / (401) 277-7340

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060223_23adam.17ee4f66.html