Pats Blog: Referee Mike Carey's crew will call the game

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
J-DOG;1705194 said:
Carey is terrible.
This isn't good in my opinion.
Mark it down....Carey and the refs will be a major part of this game in one way or another. :bang2:

You can say that again.

Mr. Malice in his heart is the worst official in all of sports. How he still has a job boggles my mind but then again this in the NFL, the worst officiating of any sport. What really scares me is that some people think he's competent. I guess the NFL can always rely on having enough slow fans to never improve anything.

notherbob

Reaction score
I don't know anything about these particular referees but in general the officiating I have seen the last few years does nothing to dispel the notion that some NFL officials deliberately attempt to manipulate the games.

If I were a gambler, I wouldn't bet on an NFL game, even on a bet. I enjoy watching them but I try not to have any expectations as to outcome because the players aren't necessarily the ones who determine the outcome of games.

I have noticed one thing though, Ed Hochuli has quite an upper body on him...say, you don't suppose he's doing body building supplements, AKA steroids, do you? Nah, NFL employees wouldn't do that; there's a rule against it and they always follow the rules. :laugh2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
J-DOG;1705194 said:
Carey is terrible.
Mark it down....Carey and the refs will be a major part of this game in one way or another. :bang2:

yep, totally agree

the people saying they like this guy apparently havent seen him officiate many games, or recall some of the one's where he's called our game...there always seem to be plenty of phantom holding calls on us when Carey does our games

David

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
J-DOG;1705194 said:
Carey is terrible.
How prescient.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Good call on Carey.

This call deserves a :bow:

Although it doesn't take much to call garbage when NE is playing anyone, let alone the Cowboys. ;)

I said a long time ago that NE gets away with more non-holdings on the offensive line that are holding than any other team. What you saw today was a reflection of that.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
J-DOG;1705194 said:
Carey is terrible.

StanleySpadowski;1705281 said:
You can say that again.

Mr. Malice in his heart is the worst official in all of sports. How he still has a job boggles my mind but then again this in the NFL, the worst officiating of any sport. What really scares me is that some people think he's competent. I guess the NFL can always rely on having enough slow fans to never improve anything.

dbair1967;1705414 said:
yep, totally agree

the people saying they like this guy apparently havent seen him officiate many games, or recall some of the one's where he's called our game...there always seem to be plenty of phantom holding calls on us when Carey does our games

David
I give these 3 posters a great big WOW.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Did anyone notice that extra down NE got on the third TD? Dallas stopped Watson on 2nd and 6, injury timeout was called for Watson after the play and instead of proceeding to third down they replayed 2nd down!

Were stopped them on third down and they went for it on fourth down which was actually a fifth down!

Aikbach

Reaction score
The officiating was just as bad in the Chicago game, the difference is this time it killed drives for our offense and extended drives for NE.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Aikbach;1709696 said:
Did anyone notice that extra down NE got on the third TD? Dallas stopped Watson on 2nd and 6, injury timeout was called for Watson after the play and instead of proceeding to third down they replayed 2nd down!

Were stopped them on third down and they went for it on fourth down which was actually a fifth down!

I thought something was fishy about that, i was sitting there thinking, that we just stopped them on 2nd and this was a big 3rd down coming up and then i saw it was 2nd down and i was like oh, what the heck...but didnt think anything of it..

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Aikbach;1709696 said:

There was apparently an offsides call that Simms and Nantz told us about after coming back from the break. So instead of gaining 5 yards and losing a down, they got 5 and it was 2nd down.

Did anyone catch a good explanation for that illegal motion penalty on TO and Witten. Carey said that both were moving and didn't become set before the snap.

I know Witten was set and TO was moving. Is the rule that if two guys are in motion that BOTH of them have to be set at the snap?

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Aikbach;1709696 said:

Are you serious? Why didn't anyone on our coaching staff say anything. How lame.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
peplaw06;1709714 said:
There was apparently an offsides call that Simms and Nantz told us about after coming back from the break. So instead of gaining 5 yards and losing a down, they got 5 and it was 2nd down.

Did anyone catch a good explanation for that illegal motion penalty on TO and Witten. Carey said that both were moving and didn't become set before the snap.

I know Witten was set and TO was moving. Is the rule that if two guys are in motion that BOTH of them have to be set at the snap?

The explanation was that Witten was supposed to be set for 1 second BEFORE Owens went in motion.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
LeonDixson;1709738 said:
The explanation was that Witten was supposed to be set for 1 second BEFORE Owens went in motion.

How does that rule apply when you see a massive shift of 3-4 players?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
peplaw06;1709813 said:
How does that rule apply when you see a massive shift of 3-4 players?
I'm not sure peplaw. It probably has to do with when the O-line is set.

I'm not even positive that the explanation they gave was correct, but that's what they said.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
peplaw06;1709714 said:

yeah they blew that call...Witten was set

it was one of several head scratchers from that clown crew

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
LeonDixson;1709738 said:

I see teams move multiple guys around all the time...the rule is supposed to be you are set 1 second before the snap (unless you are moving laterally, which only one person can be)

David

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
dbair1967;1709856 said:
I see teams move multiple guys around all the time...the rule is supposed to be you are set 1 second before the snap (unless you are moving laterally, which only one person can be)

David

I could of sworn the Pats weren't set for 1 second before the ran that qb sneak on 4th down.