Pay Dak/lose player or pay the others and Franchise Dak

Verdict

Reaction score
For me this is very simple. You cannot pay Dak 30+ Mill and keep all the great talent we have on this team. You draft a QB high next year and franchise Dak.

Or you could probably trade Byron Jones for a high pick, draft a corner or start Lewis and keep on trucking. Dak isn’t the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he would be hard to replace.

Byron Jones is much easier replaced. L. Collins would be replaced easier. That’s my two cents.

Having said that, I would ALWAYS be looking to draft a QB that is capable of being THE MAN if the situation arises, in any round of any draft. They are like GOLD if you find one.

Wouldn’t it have been great if a guy like Kyler Murray fell to the second round simply because of his height? (See Russell Wilson-drafted after that).

Verdict

Reaction score
I guarantee you, barring major debilitating injuries to Mahomes, he will have the better career and at least as many rings as Brady. See you in 20+ years.

Machines will be a very good QB but you are setting the bar too high with Brady’s rings. It would take a perfect storm to get there and the Hoodie.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Wow. Didnt realize just how dependent Brady was on Gronk.
Imagine what a Gronk would do for Prescott

Section446

Reaction score
The problem with paying Dak $30+ million is that he isn't the type of QB that can carry a team, he's a QB that has to have the perfect team around him to be successful. If they make the mistake of paying him $30+ million a year, we limit our ability to go out and buy talent (like Amari Cooper, who we'll have to pay) where we need it and we have to rely solely on the draft to get us there. While we are probably one of the better drafting teams over the past 5 or so years, we make mistakes (see Taco Charlton) like everyone else and can't hit on every single draft pick. He is the type of QB that you pay $25 million a year to and you let him earn a chance at becoming elite and getting paid as such in his second contract, he's not the kind of guy that you go all-in on right now.

Verdict

Reaction score
The problem with paying Dak $30+ million is that he isn't the type of QB that can carry a team, he's a QB that has to have the perfect team around him to be successful. If they make the mistake of paying him $30+ million a year, we limit our ability to go out and buy talent (like Amari Cooper, who we'll have to pay) where we need it and we have to rely solely on the draft to get us there. While we are probably one of the better drafting teams over the past 5 or so years, we make mistakes (see Taco Charlton) like everyone else and can't hit on every single draft pick. He is the type of QB that you pay $25 million a year to and you let him earn a chance at becoming elite and getting paid as such in his second contract, he's not the kind of guy that you go all-in on right now.

Dak would probably end up being better off taking $25 million per year (all guaranteed) than signing for more money now. A better team could be assembled around him and if he wins that’s pocket change compared to the endorsements he would receive.

He could end up getting cut and getting paid anyway.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Franchising a QB is stupid. It’s an enormous payday.
You can pay the big three on offense easily.

However, if I was going to franchise anyone, it would be Zeke.
Zeke has zero leverage. He’s under contract. Holding out costs him money and movement towards FA. We can make him honor his contract and then still use the franchise tag, which is a pretty good deal for a RB of his caliber.

I would not do this. I would pay all three, but if I was going to use the tag on anyone, it would eventually be Zeke.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The money isn’t about a guy who can carry a team. Not many can do that.
Aikman couldn’t carry the team on his back. That was proven by his struggles before and after the defense, OL, RB, and receivers went down hill. Romo couldn’t carry the team. Some will say he could, but that’s stupid. He was a very good QB for us and did a lot on his own, but carry us? What did he carry us to? Seldom even the playoffs. Even Tom Brady needs a defense, but he and Farve are about as close as you get to a QB carrying a team.....it just doesn’t happen, and you pay a QB because you think he can win if you support him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
You people do realize that the Cowboys for the last 3 seasons have still allocated a huge portion of their salary cap to the QB position right? You people do realize that Romo's salary didn't just disappear after the 2015 season, right?

Dak has ALREADY PROVEN he can win on a team with a large QB contract. This difference is now...and deservedly so...HE would be the one actually getting said salary.

So Romo's 2018 cap hit of 8.9 million is big QB money - what rock have you been living under? Hey if you can keep Dak for that "said salary" I am all for it!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Franchising a QB is stupid. It’s an enormous payday.
You can pay the big three on offense easily.

However, if I was going to franchise anyone, it would be Zeke.
Zeke has zero leverage. He’s under contract. Holding out costs him money and movement towards FA. We can make him honor his contract and then still use the franchise tag, which is a pretty good deal for a RB of his caliber.

I would not do this. I would pay all three, but if I was going to use the tag on anyone, it would eventually be Zeke.

If your plan is to tag Zeke, you might as well just extend him now - that would be a better plan.

aikemirv

Reaction score

Yep

Dak would probably end up being better off taking $25 million per year (all guaranteed) than signing for more money now. A better team could be assembled around him and if he wins that’s pocket change compared to the endorsements he would receive.

He could end up getting cut and getting paid anyway.

And absolutely - endorsements, lack of state taxes - it takes a bit of humility but would definitely get him more money!

KayJay1971

Reaction score
"In the league" is a completely irrelevent argument since Romo was not given a chance to play until year 3. This was b/c b/c Parcells does not like young QBs preferring to go with veterans like Drew Bledsoe. In Romo's first full year as the starter, he threw 36 TDs passes.......Romo was a tremendoes boost for TO who had only 6 TD catches his final year in Philly. He had 13 and 15TD passess his first 2 years catching balls from Romo.

Dak is not a WR friendly QB b/c he's innacurate and will likely never reach 30TD passes in one season........ Something Romo did in 4 of his 8 seasons as a full time starter with a far inferior OL for most of it.
Troy Aikman never topped 30 TD's in a regular season or had more than 3500 passing yards (per NFL.com). He didn't have to because he had Emmitt. Dak has Zeke so I would say he doesn't need to throw for 30 TD's either. Just my opinion.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Troy Aikman never topped 30 TD's in a regular season or had more than 3500 passing yards (per NFL.com). He didn't have to because he had Emmitt. Dak has Zeke so I would say he doesn't need to throw for 30 TD's either. Just my opinion.
I think that’s true with a defense that can control the game......we can be that defense and we can be the defense we saw against the Colts and Rans

jnday

Reaction score
If you look at Blake Bortles and Tannehills stats at least in their best years you can see that they are very comparable to Daks. This is my point just like you say it's easy to find a Tannehill or a Bortles, would it be just as easy to find another Dak? If you look at their stats? The number of wins first goes to the team , then you have to break down the team to its engine and then parts. Dak isnt the engine on this team it's the run game. This is why the offensive line is getting paid like they do and why zeke deserves to be paid. Dak is like you say a beneficiary of high demand on QBs, so the question is HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TO FIND OR EVEN GROOM A QB TO BE ANOTHER DAK?
It is entirely possible that Tannehill or Bortles would have stats very comparable to Dak if they had the talent around them that Dak has. Any average QB would look good playing for Dallas.