Pay Zeke or Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A team that hasn't played in a conference championship game in over 20 years hasn't opened any windows. It's just hope, which a lot of fan bases have this time of year.

You know who has a window? New England. They've won Super Bowls with Brady and he's getting near the end of the line. I'd argue the Saints and Brees, on a lesser scale. Maybe even Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

Dallas hasn't had a window since the late 90s.
If you make it to the brink of a championship game appearance .. you had a window however cracked it was.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the easiest question to answer I've seen and while I think both will be the majority answer and what I think the Cowboys will do, it is simply which is harder to find? A great RB or a good QB? Name the last great RB to lead his team to the promised land.

There are some that don't want Prescott regardless of the price but they offer little or no option. Take the risk factor of QB's in the draft coupled with the luck factor the Cowboys need to get one and they'd better be happy with good. The reason Prescott's agent is going for Wilson $ is not because he thinks his QB is that good, it is because he knows of the limited options the Cowboys have at a QB1. They just don't have much of an option at QB.

The money Elliott wants hasn't been paid to the entire RB corps of a SB winner. He wants what Emmitt got total in his entire 2nd contract per year but Emmitt showed up in crunch time. And Emmitt ran against more stacked boxes than Elliott ever has.

I'd like to see Young Kellen's answer to this question.
Generally I’d agree but Daks effectiveness certainly appears more dependent on Elite supporting cast.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pay everybody, deal with the problems 2 years from now. Super Bowl windows don't happen all the time.
I tend to agree. We’re either All In or not. Why would we care about 5 years down the road.

Fans have been saying this team has enough talent to win now but since our most talented player is looking out for himself we’re ready to abort shoring up the Now for the unknown future. The Future Is Now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you make it to the brink of a championship game appearance .. you had a window however cracked it was.

Exactly right. Those teams had flaws, but as close as they were, one right bounce of the ball and they would have been in the conference championship. Murray doesn't fumble in 2014, or Rodgers takes 1/2 second longer to throw that pass in 2016 and Cook is out of bounds, or one play last year at the right time . . .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok big bucks time who do you pay prior to kick-off Zeke or Dak?

Seems there just might not be enough cap $$$$ to sign both at the monies there looking for esp with Coop in the mix and Byron and Jaylon bringing up the rear as one might say.
So who would you choose between #4 or # 21......
We can pay Dak and Zeke now. Cooper will wait until next year. They've already said his camp is waiting to see where all the receivers fall. And we can always tag Cooper next year , etc.

That gives us 2 or 3 more years. That’s all we need. If we don’t reach the SB in next 2 or 3 years it’s probably not happening with this core of talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly right. Those teams had flaws, but as close as they were, one right bounce of the ball and they would have been in the conference championship. Murray doesn't fumble in 2014, or Rodgers takes 1/2 second longer to throw that pass in 2016 and Cook is out of bounds, or one play last year at the right time . . .
Yep

That’s called a window of opportunity.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hopefully they will slide through it this year instead of getting stuck when they are almost through
I certainly like our chances better with Zeke.

Who feels the same way about our team this season without him?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
So you were a “sensitive” little wuss as a kid?
:laugh:
the-joke-went-over-your-head-gif-6.gif

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Ok big bucks time who do you pay prior to kick-off Zeke or Dak?

Seems there just might not be enough cap $$$$ to sign both at the monies there looking for esp with Coop in the mix and Byron and Jaylon bringing up the rear as one might say.
So who would you choose between #4 or # 21......

False dichotomy...................there is more than enough cap room and ways to create additional cap room to sign both.

But in this made up hypothetical game, I would always take the QB over the RB.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Like JJ said you don’t need the leading rusher to win a SB but need a decent QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure the risk factor on whether or not you can find a good QB in the draft is as much of a factor as it used to be. QBs are busting far less often and seeing NFL success earlier in their careers. This is because the college and NFL games aren’t as different as they used to be...the NFL is using college offensive concepts more and more. There is less of a transition. The NFL rules favoring offenses more and more is another reason.

Just some food for thought
Blaine Gabbaert, RGlll, Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Johnny Manziel, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, Teddy Bridgewater, Brandon Weeden ...

Then there are others that aren’t total busts, but are never more than average. Tannehill, Mariota, Bortles, Bradford ...

The odds of getting someone in these 2 groups is easily higher than getting a Mahomes or Luck, and that’s especially true if a team doesn’t have a draft pick near the top of the first round.

staubach24

Reaction score
For the Dak skeptics out there, franchise him this year and let him prove himself under Kellens’ system and pay Zeke now because he has already proven himself as a star in this league.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dunno if either are worth a big payday but i'll pay the player who is here working his *** off before i worry about the one taking a cabo vacation while holding out for more money after off-the-field negative activities year after year continue.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think this is the response he was looking for my Cowboy family.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
dunno if either are worth a big payday but i'll pay the player who is here working his *** off before i worry about the one taking a cabo vacation while holding out for more money after off-the-field negative activities year after year continue.
And they're both under contract too already. So pay them after this season when we see if Dak is really improved like we hear, and he wins something beyond a single playoff game and we pay him like QBs that have won Super Bowls. I agree though right now, work ethic wise and character wise Dak would be my choice of the two, but again lets wait until we have to pay them and not jump the gun. Zeke has a lot more to prove off the field than on it for me. He might be the better of the two players talent wise but he has two or even three years (if you tag him) before you have to pay him. Don't let him try and bully us into a deal we'll regret later when he is suspended again.