Payton now with three suitors/ Cardinals, Texans and Broncos

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd cough up a draft pick for a HC like McVay who can lead my franchise for the next decade plus. I'd even be tempted to give up a draft pick for a guy like Belichick. I just dont understand giving up draft capital for a Sean Payton, and that is zero disrespect to Payton.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The Texans are the biggest project of those teams maybe but he’d have tremendous draft capital and cap flexibility in a state with zero income tax and an ownership group that would likely pay him top top dollar.

It’s really not as bad a gig as it seems if he is the real deal and I’m sure he’s confident in himself

jwitten82

Reaction score
Id got Arizona tbh, more to work with. The Texans he'll have to build from scratch, and the broncos are low on draft picks

quickccc

Reaction score
The Texans are the biggest project of those teams maybe but he’d have tremendous draft capital and cap flexibility in a state with zero income tax and an ownership group that would likely pay him top top dollar.

It’s really not as bad a gig as it seems if he is the real deal and I’m sure he’s confident in himself

And Payton, if it's the Texans, (by some wow surprise) would have the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft.
There's supposedly at least two very highly regarded expected to be at the very top of the first round.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just to think some posters think he's still an option for the Cowboys........do you see paying an HC any of the salaries below?

Who are the top 5 highest-paid NFL coaches?

Let's take a look at the top ten NFL coaching salaries in 2023.
  • John Harbaugh – Baltimore Ravens ($9 million) ...
  • Kyle Shanahan – San Francisco 49ers ($9.5 million) ...
  • Pete Carroll – Seattle Seahawks ($11 million) ...
  • Bill Belichick – New England Patriots ($12.5 million) ...
  • Sean McVay – Los Angeles Rams ($15–$18 million)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JMO, but the Texans are an interesting team. They played close games and have a better roster than most think. With their salary cap situation and a bucket full of extra draft picks, they can turn things around fairly quickly under the right head coach.

I would head to Houston waaaaaaaaaay before I would go to Denver.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why? Ton of cap space a boat load of draft picks because the Watson trade and low expectation in the 1st couple of season.
Because, believe it or not, Cal McNair is worse than Jerry Jones. His Father, Bob, was better with the team, but Cal appears to be a complete baffoon. And I know lots of Texans fans and they agree. They wish Cal would go away! LOL

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just to think some posters think he's still an option for the Cowboys........do you see paying an HC any of the salaries below?

MM - Dallas Cowboys (golden corral yearly free pass)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Because, believe it or not, Cal McNair is worse than Jerry Jones. His Father, Bob, was better with the team, but Cal appears to be a complete baffoon. And I know lots of Texans fans and they agree. They wish Cal would go away! LOL
Living in Houston I would not dispute that. However I still think it is the best chance to turn a program around.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
And Payton, if it's the Texans, (by some wow surprise) would have the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft.
There's supposedly at least two very highly regarded expected to be at the very top of the first round.
Unless they have to give it to New Orleans to obtain his rights. Asking price for Payton is going to be more than a 1st rd pick.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score

If a team wants to win by spending money, coaching is the place to do it. No salary cap on staff. Giving up draft picks for a coach seems risky though.