Payton now with three suitors/ Cardinals, Texans and Broncos

EST_1986

Reaction score
Just to think some posters think he's still an option for the Cowboys........do you see paying an HC any of the salaries below?

Who are the top 5 highest-paid NFL coaches?

Let's take a look at the top ten NFL coaching salaries in 2023.
  • John Harbaugh – Baltimore Ravens ($9 million) ...
  • Kyle Shanahan – San Francisco 49ers ($9.5 million) ...
  • Pete Carroll – Seattle Seahawks ($11 million) ...
  • Bill Belichick – New England Patriots ($12.5 million) ...
  • Sean McVay – Los Angeles Rams ($15–$18 million)
Money paid to him has zero to do with the Cowboys, all Jerry Jones

ghst187

Reaction score
Id got Arizona tbh, more to work with. The Texans he'll have to build from scratch, and the broncos are low on draft picks
I wouldn’t want to be stuck with Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson (with how he played this year) I’d prefer to have the draft picks and go get a rookie to work with

Flamma

Reaction score
I'd cough up a draft pick for a HC like McVay who can lead my franchise for the next decade plus. I'd even be tempted to give up a draft pick for a guy like Belichick. I just dont understand giving up draft capital for a Sean Payton, and that is zero disrespect to Payton.
I agree. The problem is our front office will not provide a coach like McVay with what he needs the same way the Rams did. Or even close to it. And I think he's under contract through 2026.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to be stuck with Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson (with how he played this year) I’d prefer to have the draft picks and go get a rookie to work with
True, but is this even a strong QB class coming up? Last years was horrible

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The Texans are the biggest project of those teams maybe but he’d have tremendous draft capital and cap flexibility in a state with zero income tax and an ownership group that would likely pay him top top dollar.

It’s really not as bad a gig as it seems if he is the real deal and I’m sure he’s confident in himself
I agree this would be his best shot. He would be starting from ground zero and i am sure the Texans FO is gonna give him all the power he wants in building the team. Probably will get a very decent long term contract like for at least 6 or 7 years or more.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Why? Ton of cap space a boat load of draft picks because the Watson trade and low expectation in the 1st couple of season.
Rumor has it ....Peyton wants the SD job....I dont think Peyton is leaving the both to rebuild a team....or coach a head case for a QB....IE Wilson and Murray.....

ghst187

Reaction score
True, but is this even a strong QB class coming up? Last years was horrible
I really like CJ Stroud and the bama kid. Levitt from UK will get all kinds of hype but I don’t like him at all. If the UGA declares, have to imagine he gets some attention. Hard to say though, always a crapshoot

Pentagruel

Reaction score
The majority of rookie QB’s bust, including high in the first round, so it’s understandable he’d want an established QB. The Houston job is a much larger, much riskier undertaking even if the ceiling is a lot higher and more rewarding if things work out. Total rebuilds are extremely difficult and often require as much luck as wisdom.

I see reasons for taking all three jobs. Russel Wilson could be revived in the right program and if Payton can do that, it’s a strong team. Murray is also talented if erratic and of questionable temperament but if Payton can command his respect and turn him into a more consistent QB then AZ has a solid team with resources to improve. Houston is a blank slate which gives you the most influence to shape the team as you see fit… but it’s going to be the hardest of the three tasks to complete.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Payton needs to wait to see the end result for the Chargers. If they lose to Jacksonville, I think that job is his if he wants it. Best fit for him

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I just hope someone hires him so he stops showing up on PreGame shows wearing suits and sneakers like he was a 30 year old.

He looks like a complete dork, and he makes my ears bleed on those shows.

P.s. I'm sure he's a fine coach though (as long as he has a HOF QB playing for him)

T-RO

Reaction score
JMO, but the Texans are an interesting team. They played close games and have a better roster than most think. With their salary cap situation and a bucket full of extra draft picks, they can turn things around fairly quickly under the right head coach.

I would head to Houston waaaaaaaaaay before I would go to Denver.
Yes, Texans could be interesting, but with an asterisk.

You can have high draft picks but that's not guarantee you are going to land a top QB. I think Payton will hold out with hopes he can grab the Chargers job.

This list of suitors isn't necessarily complete. An early-exit playoff team could very much want Payton.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The majority of rookie QB’s bust, including high in the first round, so it’s understandable he’d want an established QB. The Houston job is a much larger, much riskier undertaking even if the ceiling is a lot higher and more rewarding if things work out. Total rebuilds are extremely difficult and often require as much luck as wisdom.

I see reasons for taking all three jobs. Russel Wilson could be revived in the right program and if Payton can do that, it’s a strong team. Murray is also talented if erratic and of questionable temperament but if Payton can command his respect and turn him into a more consistent QB then AZ has a solid team with resources to improve. Houston is a blank slate which gives you the most influence to shape the team as you see fit… but it’s going to be the hardest of the three tasks to complete.
I don't see Payton hitching his wagon to Wilson or Murray. Wilson is 34 on the downhill side and expecting a turnaround I seriously doubt it. I think in the case of Houston you have ample space in cap room to bring in FA and top picks for the next 3 years.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
I don't see Payton hitching his wagon to Wilson or Murray. Wilson is 34 on the downhill side and expecting a turnaround I seriously doubt it. I think in the case of Houston you have ample space in cap room to bring in FA and top picks for the next 3 years.
I just think it’s a lot harder to turn around franchises that are totally bereft of talent than many fans think. It generally takes a long time, and multiple coaches to turn around a ship like Houston right now. That’s why good coaches rarely go to such situations.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just think it’s a lot harder to turn around franchises that are totally bereft of talent than many fans think. It generally takes a long time, and multiple coaches to turn around a ship like Houston right now. That’s why good coaches rarely go to such situations.
Not saying easy but Houston has a ton of cap space so Payton would be able to bring in talent right away, with top draft picks over the next 3 years he would be able to address the QB spot. I agree Chargers would be the best case but that job is not available as of yet and very well may not be available. Looking a Denver? that is a mess gave up 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks and for what? Wilson?
older QB who I think was completely oversold. When Jimmy came to Dallas things were not good, but with picks and FA (plan B Free agents) he was able to get things turned around pretty quick.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Not saying easy but Houston has a ton of cap space so Payton would be able to bring in talent right away, with top draft picks over the next 3 years he would be able to address the QB spot. I agree Chargers would be the best case but that job is not available as of yet and very well may not be available. Looking a Denver? that is a mess gave up 2 1st and 2 2nd rd picks and for what? Wilson?
older QB who I think was completely oversold. When Jimmy came to Dallas things were not good, but with picks and FA (plan B Free agents) he was able to get things turned around pretty quick.
I mean, if he can’t get more out of Wilson, then yeah, Denver is in a lot of trouble, but I don’t agree that that’s a given. Outside of QB they don’t have too many enormous holes to plug. My guess is he waits out the Chargers situation. If they lose in the first round then that job might open up.