News: Payton: "Some teams aren't functional"

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our last 25 years or so, our composite season winning record might be 60% of the time.
That is nonfunctional when you talk about a team. Why? Because none (I hope) of us is so blinded by our love of the team tha we see a functional team.
Functional means going and winning in the playoffs.
Have we done tha?
No.
9-7 and 1 and done seasons are just selling tickets and treading water, not winning championships.
:clap:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
a whole lot of teams arent functional

Washington
Dallas
Detroit
Atlanta
Miami
Minnesota
Denver
Cleveland
Ny Jets
NYG

Me heart bleeds for them. All of them.
But I am only interested in a non-functional Cowboys. A crying shame.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Yeah he is talking about JJ.. And JJ knows he is talking about him..
“There’s a handful of teams that aren’t, and those teams, regardless of what takes place, they can win on Sunday but they have trouble winning long term,” Payton said

You missed the key point
Yes sir. I would say that is a sure enough a swing and a miss.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Payton's resume is identical to MM's. Both had hall of famer qb's & won one SB. Only difference? Payton has one year more in the NFL then MM. He's far from "functional" himself. Why some are so fixacted on this guy thnking he's a god as a HC is beyond comprehension.
its grass is greener on the otherside syndrome. and supposedly he is a QB guru. go figure.

no one will succeed in Dallas under Jerry Jones. end of story.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I dont want payton here, I think he is arrogant and overrated.
He had brees his whole career in NO, and only won the season they cheated (bounty bowl)
Soon as brees retires payton quits the team, cant handle it without brees.

Smart but really dont care for the guy. And him and jerry may be friends, but he would never work with jerry, and jerry would never
give payton the power he would need to win here.

LysleE

Reaction score
This franchise is as dysfunctional as they get.

Winning is not the priority here. Relevance is. Branding is. Curating money is. Nationally televised games and constant chatter is the means to those ends.

Jerry is PT Barnum, and this is the Jones family circus. As long as the clowns and elephants are on the field, that's all that matters.

You are on-point here!

If Jerry Jones was the owner of any other team but the Dallas Cowboys he would be irrelevant in the NFL; he is only who he is because he purchased one of the most iconic franchises in professional sports.

GMO415

Reaction score
Not functional? When you have the kind of defense the Cowboys have, you are about as functional as it can get.

When your team can beat the defending AFC champions with a backup QB, you are functional.
the-neighborhood-cedric-the-entertainer.gif

Verdict

Reaction score
Hmm, I don’t think he’s talking about Dallas if there’s any truth to him wanting to come there.

Many teams have been more dysfunctional than the Cowboys. LV, DET, WAS, NYJ, CLE, MIA, HOU, JAX, ARI…
Detroit may be turning the corner.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I hope he never becomes a Cowboys coach we already have his equal

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I think he meant more like we are able to win some in the regular season, but when it comes to games that really count (the playoffs) we are nothing.
You mean like last season?

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Hmm, I don’t think he’s talking about Dallas if there’s any truth to him wanting to come there.

Many teams have been more dysfunctional than the Cowboys. LV, DET, WAS, NYJ, CLE, MIA, HOU, JAX, ARI…
There isn't any bigger dysfunction than Jerruh and Stevie.

kevm3

Reaction score
Not functional? When you have the kind of defense the Cowboys have, you are about as functional as it can get.

When your team can beat the defending AFC champions with a backup QB, you are functional.

Let's see if that 'functionality' continues into the postseason. Winning early on is one thing, but winning when it really matters is another