Payton-Talks about NO's back up QB

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Let the Tony Romo speculation begin.

================================================

With Brees taking mental reps only, backups Todd Bouman and Adrian McPherson took every snap during the three-day mini-camp. But neither received a ringing endorsement from Payton.

"I think they're battling," Payton said. "They might be battling versus someone else on another team, and they don't know it. They're battling to play the best they can, and I think both of them understand that."

Payton also said if the coaching staff feels they won't be adequate reserves, the team would likely look elsewhere for help.

"If they're good enough to be the No. 2, so be it," he said. "If not, we'll find someone else that's good enough to be No. 2."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/saints/home.htm

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Let the Tony Romo speculation begin.

================================================

With Brees taking mental reps only, backups Todd Bouman and Adrian McPherson took every snap during the three-day mini-camp. But neither received a ringing endorsement from Payton.

"I think they're battling," Payton said. "They might be battling versus someone else on another team, and they don't know it. They're battling to play the best they can, and I think both of them understand that."

Payton also said if the coaching staff feels they won't be adequate reserves, the team would likely look elsewhere for help.

"If they're good enough to be the No. 2, so be it," he said. "If not, we'll find someone else that's good enough to be No. 2."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/saints/home.htm

If Henson keeps doing well, I would move Romo for a fourth round pick and take a young QB in the draft like Clemens or Whitehurst.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Alexander said:
If Henson keeps doing well, I would move Romo for a fourth round pick and take a young QB in the draft like Clemens or Whitehurst.

I think that is exactly what they would have in mind. Even though Henson has shown progress, you can't assume he wil be the guy. They need to bring in a talented QB to develop who has played a lot in major college football and has a lot of experience.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I think that would be very prudent...but a fourth might be a bit rich for N.O. but they might go for a sixth...

I know one reporter said that Dallas was offered a third for Romo but I think (not 100% certain) that it has been denied by the organization (Stephen Jones if I remember correctly)...

If you were GM of a team would you give up a 4th for Romo? Either way if we could get a 4th it would be a steal I think. And we could use that pick to draft another QB prospect...I like Croyle out of Alabama more than I do Whitehurst but I think Croyle might be limited because of arm strength...

just my $.02

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I would too. It simply makes good sense.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
If we could get a 4th from NO for Romo - that would be awesome. I think a conditional 5/6th is more realistic though.

tiller77

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I think that would be very prudent...but a fourth might be a bit rich for N.O. but they might go for a sixth...

I know one reporter said that Dallas was offered a third for Romo but I think (not 100% certain) that it has been denied by the organization (Stephen Jones if I remember correctly)...

If you were GM of a team would you give up a 4th for Romo? Either way if we could get a 4th it would be a steal I think. And we could use that pick to draft another QB prospect...I like Croyle out of Alabama more than I do Whitehurst but I think Croyle might be limited because of arm strength...

just my $.02

the reports are croyle has a strong arm and is able to make all the NFL throws but croyle will be gone by the 4th

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys do it for a 5th or 6th. For a #2 qb, I think they would want at least a 4th.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Zaxor said:

just my $.02

Croyle's problem is not arm strength. I've watched him for 5 years and he's got a cannon for an arm.

I really don't know where that rap got started. He has as good an arm as any QB in the draft including Cutler. In fact, in several of the draft pubs list him as having the best arm.

However, he is not a QB I would want us to draft because I simply don't think he can stand up to the pounding a starter takes in the NFL. He's not big enough and he's brittle, sort of like Pennington.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
tiller77 said:
the reports are croyle has a strong arm and is able to make all the NFL throws but croyle will be gone by the 4th

It would be hard to spend a first day pick on a QB with as many needs as we have... Do you really think he will be gone by the 4th...I could see him going in the top of the 4th though easily...

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I think if they can get NO #4 pick (#99) overall for Romo, then they should do it. Then take Reggie McNeill from A&M with either it, or the 5th rounder (if he is still there- I have seen him all over the place on boards). This way they could have a versitile #3 QB and #5 WR. He could be a Slash type weapon in goal line situations, etc.

One more added dimension to the offense, who could play either position in times of need, and still be productive.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
It would be hard to spend a first day pick on a QB with as many needs as we have... Do you really think he will be gone by the 4th...I could see him going in the top of the 4th though easily...

I think Croyle will be gone by the 4th.

He will remind scouts of a Jake Plummer or a Jake Delhomme type QB with a better arm. He has a very, very live arm that is big-time.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Croyle's problem is not arm strength. I've watched him for 5 years and he's got a cannon for an arm.

I really don't know where that rap got started. He has as good an arm as any QB in the draft including Cutler. In fact, in several of the draft pubs list him as having the best arm.

However, he is not a QB I would want us to draft because I simply don't think he can stand up to the pounding a starter takes in the NFL. He's not big enough and he's brittle, sort of like Pennington.

Diet and exercise and a proper training course might help that...(cross fingers)

I got to see him a couple times this year and I am telling you the kid has a little something to him...

Maybe he will make an ideal backup a guy that can win ya some games as long as it isn't over an extended period of time...

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
We finally took time and patience to develop young quarterbacks and now we want to trade that. I would be upset to see this.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I think Croyle will be gone by the 4th.

He will remind scouts of a Jake Plummer or a Jake Delhomme type QB with a better arm. He has a very, very live arm that is big-time.
Dang it:mad:

cleverusername

Reaction score
Alexander said:

I think it is a definite possibility. It would not bother me.:cool:

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
We finally took time and patience to develop young quarterbacks and now we want to trade that. I would be upset to see this.

Agree. Personally, anything less than NO second round pick shouldn't be acceptable to Cowboys. But thats just my opinion.

I really rather them retain Romo, but I guess if Henson does win the #2 job this year in TC, as he seems to be progressing very well in NFLE, it would make sense to take another project, as Romo will be FA after this season, and Cowboys won't have anything to show for Romo grooming, if Romo is let go.

Either way, I don't see how they will trade Romo before this draft? They have to make sure Henson has stepped up in TC before having any thoughts about trading Romo, if they indeed select a QB this draft.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Or maybe Payton is just stealing Parcells' line about all his players not just competing against the other players on the team, but against anyone else around the league he can get his hands on. ;)