Payton-Talks about NO's back up QB

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Payton is a Parcells disciple and Parcells has stated several times that when it comes to the players on the roster, they aren't just competing against each other, they are competing against guys that may be on a different team right now.

If Dallas could get a 3rd for Romo and then draft Charlie Whitehurst, I would personally take that deal in a nanosecond. I really believe that Payton was Romo's biggest supporter, but I think the likelihood of this happening is almost nil.

Rich.........

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Diet and exercise and a proper training course might help that...(cross fingers)

I got to see him a couple times this year and I am telling you the kid has a little something to him...

Maybe he will make an ideal backup a guy that can win ya some games as long as it isn't over an extended period of time...

No question, Croyle has a swagger or "moxie", as it's been said of Romo.

The difference is that Croyle has the arm to back up his swagger.

He may actually be a little bit too much of a gun-slinger for Parcells. He is very confident in his ability and loves to show off his arm. He reminds me a lot of Plummer and Delhomme in the way he plays, maybe just not quite as mobile.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I think that would be very prudent...but a fourth might be a bit rich for N.O. but they might go for a sixth...

I know one reporter said that Dallas was offered a third for Romo but I think (not 100% certain) that it has been denied by the organization (Stephen Jones if I remember correctly)...

If you were GM of a team would you give up a 4th for Romo? Either way if we could get a 4th it would be a steal I think. And we could use that pick to draft another QB prospect...I like Croyle out of Alabama more than I do Whitehurst but I think Croyle might be limited because of arm strength...

just my $.02

I think Payton would bite if the idea that he is a big Romo fan is the case.

However, it does have to be noted that apparently Coach Parcells likes him a lot as well and might not be so willing to part with him. Personally, I would move him in a minute and take either of the two QBs I mentioned as I honestly think they are better prospects down the road. Romo just seems far too limited in the small amount of action I have seen.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Croyle's problem is not arm strength. I've watched him for 5 years and he's got a cannon for an arm.

I really don't know where that rap got started. He has as good an arm as any QB in the draft including Cutler. In fact, in several of the draft pubs list him as having the best arm.

However, he is not a QB I would want us to draft because I simply don't think he can stand up to the pounding a starter takes in the NFL. He's not big enough and he's brittle, sort of like Pennington.

You are right about Croyle. His issue is durability. He sits around in the pocket like he took lessons from Chad Hutchinson, gets hit far too much and is injured frequently.