Payton vs Garrett

cml750

Reaction score
Maybe. Harbaugh's a lot like Jimmy was. He burns bright, but doesn't still around very long. One of the things I like most about Garrett is how capable he is of working well with Jerry Jones, which is not an easy task.

Either way, it's moot. Harbaugh's a great coach, though.

It is kinda sad that working with Jerry is a qualification to be a coach here but I do admit that it matters. Our best hope is that Jerry stumbles onto a coach who can work with him and just happens to be good also. I think Payton fits that description but that remains to be seen and may never be seen.

cml750

Reaction score
Everyone talking about replacing Coach Garrett are concerned about the wrong coach. The coach the Cowboys need to replace is and has always been Coach Jerry.

With Coach Jerry running the show the organization is limited to who they can hire to really coach the team. The new hire will have to abide by, parrot or believe in Coach Jerrys philosphy. This philosophy gets flashy players on the field in multiple positions but leaves gaping holes in many others and is void of discipline.

Coach Jerry's teams will have amazing years every now and then(i.e. no injuries) but crumble in the playoffs when the true grind kicks in.

This is our life until Jerry is six feet under. We just have to hope the flashy good luck years pay-off...which they havent(Romo bobbled FG snap, '07 Giants game, last year)

Well I have said this before and will say it again. Garrett is the biggest CORRECTABLE issue with the team. The guy who hired him is a bigger issue but he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is kinda sad that working with Jerry is a qualification to be a coach here but I do admit that it matters. Our best hope is that Jerry stumbles onto a coach who can work with him and just happens to be good also. I think Payton fits that description but that remains to be seen and may never be seen.

Jerry's a double-edged sword. He'll do whatever it takes to assemble the roster his coaches want. But he'll also do whatever it takes to market the team, and he has no qualms about undermining his coaches publicly with his stupid comments or privately by letting players come through his door directly when they want to talk. Finding a coach good enough to improve the team while still dealing with that crap is a fairly tall order.

There are most dysfunctional management structures in the league than the one in Dallas right now, but there are a lot more functional ones out there, too. It's a liability in a lot of ways that we have to run the team around.

cml750

Reaction score
Jerry's a double-edged sword. He'll do whatever it takes to assemble the roster his coaches want. But he'll also do whatever it takes to market the team, and he has no qualms about undermining his coaches publicly with his stupid comments or privately by letting players come through his door directly when they want to talk. Finding a coach good enough to improve the team while still dealing with that crap is a fairly tall order.

There are most dysfunctional management structures in the league than the one in Dallas right now, but there are a lot more functional ones out there, too. It's a liability in a lot of ways that we have to run the team around.

That is why I do not spend much time complaining about Jerry. He is not going anywhere barring illness or worse and I would not wish that on anyone.