PC or MAC?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's time to replace this boat anchor and I've been a PC guy, Dell, since I decided to join modern times but I am not a Windows fan and everything else phone, pad and pod is Apple.

Those that have experience with both, what are the pros and cons with these two? And in your experience, which is easier to move to since I've never used a MAC. Considering I am not a techy either, what's your suggestion?

I don't like laptops so it will be a standard computer and it seems to make sense to use the same platform for my electronics.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since you are not a windows fan and everything else you have is Apple (phone, tablet and Ipod).
I would say you should just go with the Mac.
I would imagine it is easy enough to learn even if you have never used one before.

On the opposite side...I used to be Apple phone, Ipod and occasionally used my wife's Ipad.

Now I am android (samsung) and stuck with windows over the years for my computer.

nobody

Reaction score
It's time to replace this boat anchor and I've been a PC guy, Dell, since I decided to join modern times but I am not a Windows fan and everything else phone, pad and pod is Apple.

Those that have experience with both, what are the pros and cons with these two? And in your experience, which is easier to move to since I've never used a MAC. Considering I am not a techy either, what's your suggestion?

I don't like laptops so it will be a standard computer and it seems to make sense to use the same platform for my electronics.

If you are used to PC and the programs for the PC, transitioning to the Mac can be good and bad. Macs are far simpler for daily use for non-techies. Upgrading is cheaper and easier with a PC. Comparing a PC and a Mac with the same capabilities will show you that Apple is REALLY proud of their product and jack up the price accordingly. If a part goes bad, Macs were not designed for users to repair. They're designed for their people to fix them...which means even more money. PC's are designed for that....but you can get extended warranties if you don't want to mess with it. Some companies (like Dell) will send a tech to your house to fix them with some repair plans. Others force you to ship them to their tech department to fix. Macs I'm not sure about how they are now, but you used to have to take them to approved Mac repair places. You voided the warranty if you opened it yourself.

There is a learning curve to switching and a transition to different programs for different functions. If you are a big time gamer, then there can be frustration as to just what games are available.

It really just boils down to what you want. If you mainly just word process, surf the net, do image manipulation, and don't mind paying a lot more for an easier to use OS, then go with a Mac. There are fewer viruses to worry about. Personally, I'd never switch to a Mac, but I see the appeal for some people. A friend of mine switched to Mac for his home system and is happy with it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are used to PC and the programs for the PC, transitioning to the Mac can be good and bad. Macs are far simpler for daily use for non-techies. Upgrading is cheaper and easier with a PC. Comparing a PC and a Mac with the same capabilities will show you that Apple is REALLY proud of their product and jack up the price accordingly. If a part goes bad, Macs were not designed for users to repair. They're designed for their people to fix them...which means even more money. PC's are designed for that....but you can get extended warranties if you don't want to mess with it. Some companies (like Dell) will send a tech to your house to fix them with some repair plans. Others force you to ship them to their tech department to fix. Macs I'm not sure about how they are now, but you used to have to take them to approved Mac repair places. You voided the warranty if you opened it yourself.

There is a learning curve to switching and a transition to different programs for different functions. If you are a big time gamer, then there can be frustration as to just what games are available.

It really just boils down to what you want. If you mainly just word process, surf the net, do image manipulation, and don't mind paying a lot more for an easier to use OS, then go with a Mac. There are fewer viruses to worry about. Personally, I'd never switch to a Mac, but I see the appeal for some people. A friend of mine switched to Mac for his home system and is happy with it.
I've got a bud that switched to Apple, laptop, and wishes he would have done it earlier.

One thing I do like about Apple, customer service and that's what leans me in that direction. Anytime I have had any issue with any product, they have been aces.

I haven't been happy with Windows since XP went away and this every other OS is OK BS started.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since you are not a windows fan and everything else you have is Apple (phone, tablet and Ipod).
I would say you should just go with the Mac.
I would imagine it is easy enough to learn even if you have never used one before.

On the opposite side...I used to be Apple phone, Ipod and occasionally used my wife's Ipad.

Now I am android (samsung) and stuck with windows over the years for my computer.
Yeah, I have an aversion to change but since this is going to happen one way or the other, I figured no time like the present.

GMO415

Reaction score
PC all day every day...
tenor.gif

EST_1986

Reaction score
Switched to a Mac years ago and wished I did it sooner.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linux for the win!

Go Unix

Funny thing is we have a verrrry old Unix server rinning a DCR program for a few old data entry jobs and I have to go in and type old commands just to move to different directories or move files or delete them and so on.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Go Unix

Funny thing is we have a verrrry old Unix server rinning a DCR program for a few old data entry jobs and I have to go in and type old commands just to move to different directories or move files or delete them and so on.

That crap is going to fail soon. As an IT guy, you should be pushing to migrate whatever this job is doing to something else!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
PC all day!!!! I tried Mac but it just didn't do it for me. Apple is way to proprietary for my taste. Not to mention Apple is SUPER proud of their products. My buddy paid upwards of like $2k for his simple little laptop with a glowing Apple logo.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an honest list of the reasons to get a Mac versus a PC. There is no agenda here so anything you read that sounds negative or like an insult is not meant that way. These are in no particular order.

Reasons to get a Mac ..
  • Money is not a focus of your purchase
  • You have a local Apple Store or you are okay shipping it off it has problems or you want internal upgrades
  • You have one or more iPhones or iPads (not a huge advantage, but still)
  • You do not play modern or any heavy graphical games
  • You have used MacOS before and like it
  • Windows will run on a Mac with a little work though not officially support by Apple
  • Apple computers are usually very solid and reliable though they will have bad batches sometimes
  • A lot less viruses, malware, etc. affect MacOS, but that number is slowly growing as more people use them
  • You want less issues installing new hardware
  • You are a hipster (not being funny)
  • You prefer a lot less software and app options compared to Windows to make decision process easier
  • You work in graphic design, video editing, professional writing or other creative industry
  • You want a laptop or all-in-one computer (iMac)
  • Several of your friends or family have Apple computers

Reasons to get a PC ..
  • There are options for everyone's financial budget
  • You do not have a local Apple store
  • You have a PC expert friend or family member OR you have a local computer store that can repair or upgrade it
  • You play modern or heavily graphical games
  • You have used Windows before
  • You want a lot more software and app options even if it makes the decision process harder
  • You want a lot more options when it comes to hardware
  • You are not a hipster (again, not being funny)
  • You want a desktop (tower) computer instead of a laptop or all-in-one-device

I am sure there are more reasons to buy each one, but those are the ones I thought of at the moment.

One thing I do want to point out is that people are finally starting to do what I have been doing for years and that is use a laptop as a desktop computer. You can plug external mice, keyboards, monitors, etc. into a laptop and only open the lid when you need to power the computer on and off. That goes for both Mac and PC computers. Doing that allows you to choose each of your external peripherals.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an honest list of the reasons to get a Mac versus a PC. There is no agenda here so anything you read that sounds negative or like an insult is not meant that way. These are in no particular order.

Reasons to get a Mac ..
  • You have a local Apple Store or you are okay shipping it off it has problems or you want internal upgrades
  • Windows will run on a Mac with a little work though not officially support by Apple
  • Apple computers are usually very solid and reliable though they will have bad batches sometimes
  • A lot less viruses, malware, etc. affect MacOS, but that number is slowly growing as more people use them
  • You prefer a lot less software and app options compared to Windows to make decision process easier
  • You work in graphic design, video editing, professional writing or other creative industry

Reasons to get a PC ..
  • You have a PC expert friend or family member OR you have a local computer store that can repair or upgrade it
  • You want a lot more software and app options even if it makes the decision process harder

I am sure there are more reasons to buy each one, but those are the ones I thought of at the moment.

One thing I do want to point out is that people are finally starting to do what I have been doing for years and that is use a laptop as a desktop computer. You can plug external mice, keyboards, monitors, etc. into a laptop and only open the lid when you need to power the computer on and off. That goes for both Mac and PC computers. Doing that allows you to choose each of your external peripherals.
Wow, thanks for the work you put into this and no, I am not a hipster, I am an oldster just wanting things to work and simplify my life, not complicate it.

Windows works OK for me OK because I am a simple user and do not use anything beyond the standard Office software but since I am Apple everything else and need to make a change anyway, I thought having everything on the same platform might make sense.

The closest Apple store is in Austin, only 45 minutes away and I am there once a week anyway so that is not an issue but the real tiebreaker for me is the customer service. In all my years, I have never encountered a company with better customer service and I have called them on everything from iTunes to iPhone to iPad and iPod and not one time did they not help me and solve the issue even if it was user based.

What is interesting about the debate is it all seems to center around price. Even the PC users I know, their major complaint is about price. It's as if that is the only thing keeping them from Apple. If the price playing field was level and not a consideration, I wonder which way most would go?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the bigger monitors Desk Tops usually roll with.
Yeah, the bigger the better so I can use 64 size fonts and not have to put on reading glasses.

I used to have a laptop and docking system that was useful but I don't have any need to take my computer with me with an IPad.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The closest Apple store is in Austin, only 45 minutes away and I am there once a week anyway so that is not an issue but the real tiebreaker for me is the customer service. In all my years, I have never encountered a company with better customer service and I have called them on everything from iTunes to iPhone to iPad and iPod and not one time did they not help me and solve the issue even if it was user based.
Apple's support is usually pretty good and the problems are rarely unique which makes troubleshooting and support easier.

What is interesting about the debate is it all seems to center around price. Even the PC users I know, their major complaint is about price. It's as if that is the only thing keeping them from Apple. If the price playing field was level and not a consideration, I wonder which way most would go?
The price is a general statement as it really depends on your needs. A high-end graphics card that most gamers or professional video editors would want will run $500-750 by itself for a PC.

If price wasn't an issue, I think some PC users would get a Mac instead, but mainly because they have iPhones and think the Mac will offer the same benefits they get from their phones. A lot of iOS (iPhone) apps work better or offer more features if you are connecting or communicating with other iOS (iPhone) devices, however most people do not use their Mac computers that way though so there's no real advantage.

For most average people, it comes down to familiarity. If you are used to working on a Mac running MacOS, Windows seems foreign and difficult to use and learn. If you are used to working on a PC running Windows, MacOS seems foreign and difficult to use and learn.

As to your question though about if price doesn't matter, I can tell you without a doubt that gamers will always choose PCs over Macs because Apple has no real interest or focus on computer-based gaming. In many cases, the gaming PCs will cost more than Mac computers as well. Most graphic design, video editors, etc. will usually prefer Macs though that gap has closed a little in recent years.

If all you do is surf the internet and use Microsoft Office, I would stick with a PC. There's no real benefit to buying a Mac for that *IF* you are already a Windows user. Now, if you were already a Mac user, I would suggest sticking with the Mac for the same.

In the end, whether you go with PC/Windows or a Mac really comes down to the reasons you need or want a computer rather than what it costs or anything else.

nobody

Reaction score

Reasons to get a Mac ..

Reasons to get a PC ..

I did that for several years and wound up going back to a desktop. In graphics intensive games, that heat buildup can be brutal on a laptop's life. With a tower, there are a ton more cooling options. Of course, I don't game as much as I used to, but I like the idea of being able to replace components that wear out or that I want to upgrade on my own and not have to worry about it. Laptops are a pain in the *** to work on.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did that for several years and wound up going back to a desktop. In graphics intensive games, that heat buildup can be brutal on a laptop's life. With a tower, there are a ton more cooling options. Of course, I don't game as much as I used to, but I like the idea of being able to replace components that wear out or that I want to upgrade on my own and not have to worry about it. Laptops are a pain in the *** to work on.
I used to always build my gaming PCs, but ever since I switched to gaming laptops, I don't see me going back to that setup. My gaming laptop never has heating issues at all no matter what settings I use for games. Then again, I specifically made heat dispersion and air-flow a priority when I bought it since that's the main issue with gaming laptops.

The only real limitations to upgrading gaming laptops are the CPU and GPU, but in both cases, they are more than capable of handling all games for at least 2-4 years if not longer . However, by then, new technology in other areas has come out that makes buying/building a new system a better solution no matter if you're on a laptop or desktop/tower.

If you really think about it though, you cannot upgrade smartphones yet people spend nearly a thousand dollars on those every 1-2 years (even if subsidized by phone carrier) along with their accessories.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, my main reason is to have everything on the same platform but is that really a big deal? You Appleheads, tell me the advantage of having the home computer on the same OS as the phone and tablet? Am I overlooking something that is apparent to you?

I can tell from reading posts here, I am at the caveman side of the tech savvy line and haven't even gone to get wood to try a fire. Took me a while to master that cold/hot thing with a Thermos.