Peloton/Home Gym

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Given the circumstances we’re all dealing with, has anyone cancelled their gym memberships and not plan on going back?

My wife and I have decided we’re not going back to a brick and mortar gym. We’ve cancelled our memberships and are going to flip one of rooms into a home gym.

I’ve picked up jogging and we recently just purchased a Peloton bike. Curious if anyone else has made (or plans) to do something similar?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’ve never had a gym membership as that’s more of a look at me experience than anything else for most. I chose to work out at home with weights, running and riding a bike.

There’s definitely that element but a lot of folks (including myself) have a gym membership because they have all the equipment (including pools, indoor basketball court, climbing walls, etc.).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There’s definitely that element but a lot of folks (including myself) have a gym membership because they have all the equipment (including pools, indoor basketball court, climbing walls, etc.).
The bottom line to taking care of yourself physically is finding something that you like. Be it running, walking, Peloton, swimming, riding a bike or whatever. Once you find something you actually enjoy you have a much better chance of making it part of your life. Doing it for 6 months or so is really just a waste of time. That’s what the majority of gym memberships end up being. But if you can do it at a gym and continue forever then nothing wrong with that. But physical fitness is a way of life.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Given the circumstances we’re all dealing with, has anyone cancelled their gym memberships and not plan on going back?

My wife and I have decided we’re not going back to a brick and mortar gym. We’ve cancelled our memberships and are going to flip one of rooms into a home gym.

I’ve picked up jogging and we recently just purchased a Peloton bike. Curious if anyone else has made (or plans) to do something similar?
I have limited experience with any of those machines, i only powerwalk/little running outdoors daily. That Peloton does look cool though.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In my experience basements make pretty good home gyms. Usually much more space than and naturally cooled.

Absolutely do not go cheap with equipment, especially dumbells and benches. When you are buying dumbells, put a some plates on and shake it a little to make sure it will stay secure.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yep! Scored a Weider workout center that I have set up in my garage corner along with a treadmill. Nothing fancy but it will do! Luckily my garage is insulated all the way around so it stays warm in there in the winter.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yep! Scored a Weider workout center that I have set up in my garage corner along with a treadmill. Nothing fancy but it will do! Luckily my garage is insulated all the way around so it stays warm in there in the winter.

Is that like a universal setup (multi-workout) type of deal?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I maintain a gym membership and also workout at home. IMO now is not the time to build a home gym due to all the crazy prices companies and people are selling equipment for.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Is that like a universal setup (multi-workout) type of deal?

Yup. Exactly. This isn't mine but this one looks pretty much exactly like mine.

gym-weider-4950-complete-gym-americanlisted_45481447.jpg

Plankton

Reaction score
Gyms opened in my state the last week of July. I went back opening day, and have kept going. Gym is huge, so distancing isn't an issue, even moreso considering that most people have not come back. The most people that I have seen in the gym since it reopened is 15.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’ve always thought about getting a bow flex. Never pulled the trigger though.

I have also long thought about just getting a nice dumbbell set and quality adjustable bench.

Even at the gym I always preferred using dumbbells to workout over any machine or other set up. But again I’ve never pulled the trigger in purchasing for home.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Gyms opened in my state the last week of July. I went back opening day, and have kept going. Gym is huge, so distancing isn't an issue, even moreso considering that most people have not come back. The most people that I have seen in the gym since it reopened is 15.
I've been going to the gym since they opened. It's definitely much less crowded than it was, and every other cardio machine is out of service. It's a PITA to wear the mask while working out, especially doing cardio, but it's doable.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I haven't gone back yet. Did the mask have an effect on your workout?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've been going to the gym since they opened. It's definitely much less crowded than it was, and every other cardio machine is out of service. It's a PITA to wear the mask while working out, especially doing cardio, but it's doable.
I think the mask right now is a great short term reason for @CalPolyTechnique to build the home gym. Weight training probably wouldnt be much of an issue with the mask, but cardio will really suck.

My plan right now is to only do warm up and cool down cardio at the gym. Probably some walking on the treadmill. For my proper cadio, Im gonna run. Which thanks to the Corps, I hate with the power and passion of a billion exploding suns. Same with swimming, probably even more so

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think the mask right now is a great short term reason for @CalPolyTechnique to build the home gym. Weight training probably wouldnt be much of an issue with the mask, but cardio will really suck.

My plan right now is to only do warm up and cool down cardio at the gym. Probably some walking on the treadmill. For my proper cadio, Im gonna run. Which thanks to the Corps, I hate with the power and passion of a billion exploding suns. Same with swimming, probably even more so
I like swimming. Wish I had an indoor pool

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Beyond the mask and people huffing and puffing at the gym, it just seems like an avoidable high-risk situation. Think of all the weights/equipment people touch in a gym. Granted, I’m sure there’s an increased level of cleaning now imposed by staff but working out at the gym just doesn’t interest me anymore, but that could also be because I have two kids under the age of 4 and simply don’t have the time to set aside. Pandemic aside, having a nice workout setup at home is just more convenient and cheaper in the long run, but I do understand that some people like to focus and workout in a gym environment.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Beyond the mask and people huffing and puffing at the gym, it just seems like an avoidable high-risk situation. Think of all the weights/equipment people touch in a gym. Granted, I’m sure there’s an increased level of cleaning now imposed by staff but working out at the gym just doesn’t interest me anymore, but that could also be because I have two kids under the age of 4 and simply don’t have the time to set aside. Pandemic aside, having a nice workout setup at home is just more convenient and cheaper in the long run, but I do understand that some people like to focus and workout in a gym environment.
Having young children around is also a good reasom to avoid unnecessary exposure

What kind of equipment are you planning on getting? Going weight sets, a home gym machine (Bowflex type thing) or both.

Ive found that while those home gym sytems arent get for pure weight training, they work very well for lower intensity circuit training