Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt anything else happens to him.

His contract was up after this season IIRC anyway and I have to think the University was probably not really wanting to give another contract to someone that will be 84+ years old but did not want bad press for getting rid of a legend.

Now they have bad press either way so it just takes care of itself (getting rid of him not the molestation problem).

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4233619 said:
I doubt anything else happens to him.

His contract was up after this season IIRC anyway and I have to think the University was probably not really wanting to give another contract to someone that will be 84+ years old but did not want bad press for getting rid of a legend.

Now they have bad press either way so it just takes care of itself (getting rid of him not the molestation problem).

I don't know. That PA law is pretty detailed when reporting these crimes. JoPA was pretty lax with trying to get it stopped when he found out about it.

Selfish SOB didn't want to hurt his image or the schools.

Much more important than those children being molested by his ole buddy.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Dallas;4233623 said:
I don't know. That PA law is pretty detailed when reporting these crimes. JoPA was pretty lax with trying to get it stopped when he found out about it.

To be honest, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. He and his wife are the furthest thing from selfish. He did as he was supposed to do legally. He has done more for that community in his life time than you can hope to do in ten life times.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;4233623 said:

From what I have read they are not even looking at going after him in legal terms. They are going after some of the other people involved.

So Joe can be convicted in the court of public opinion but it does not look like it will be a court of law...at this time.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;4233636 said:
To be honest, you don't know what the hell you are talking about. He and his wife are the furthest thing from selfish. He did as he was supposed to do legally. He has done more for that community in his life time than you can hope to do in ten life times.

I just don't believe he did everything he should have done legally or morally in this case.

I don't think he broke any laws here but he should have done more than just report it to his superiors IMO.

I don't know if he did it for selfish reasons, don't know if he did not go any further due to being told not to by his superiors or if he just had a lapse in judgement.

Let's say you worked for someone. You find out that one of your co-workers was molesting a child.
You tell your boss about the incident. The boss fires the co-worker. But the boss did not contact the police about the situation.
Then later you see that employee come back to the work place on occasion. Even if they are not employed there any longer they did come back to the company grounds in some fashion for other things.

I think it would be time that since the boss did not call the police, and the boss is aware that the employee has some kind of ties (even if not directly employed there) but still comes around on occasion...I think it is time to get the police involved.

You might get a pass (I really don't think so) for not reporting it to legal authorities the first time...But without a doubt not the second time.

I think Joe is a good guy. I just think he did not go far enough and could have done more.

I can also imagine that whether he is legally culpable or not, the parents of those individuals raped and molested, and the victims themselves, doubt he did enough.

From Joe's own press release...

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;4233639 said:
From what I have read they are not even looking at going after him in legal terms. They are going after some of the other people involved.

So Joe can be convicted in the court of public opinion but it does not look like it will be a court of law...at this time.

I don't think they're going to do anything (more) to him either.

It will be severe enough for him knowing that his name will forever be connected to the whole thing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's complicit in any coverup at all, he needs to be ridden out on a rail, and to hell with his legacy. This whole story is so gross, I can hardly bear to keep up with it.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
The guy was a selfish SOB in this case. Say I am wrong all you want, but its true.

And Cajun...in this case right here. I kinda know what it smells like.

I could care less what he did over the years at Penn State. He flushed that all down the toilet when he didn't do more in this case.

Protect him all you want, but the facts are he could have and should have done more to stop it.

Strange you would protect that man so rabidly. You attack me yet claim earlier this was all about his image and reputation.

WELL DUH!!!! Thanks for stating my point again.

Creepy bro...

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

How much does all the "good" he did mean, if he stood by and did nothing while someone preyed on little boys in that community? Very little if you ask me.

Yes he did everything he had to legally, but what about morally? If you feel like morally he did everything he needed to, then I'm pretty sure that's an opinion few share.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4233649 said:
I just don't believe he did everything he should have done legally or morally in this case.

I don't think he broke any laws here but he should have done more than just report it to his superiors IMO.

I don't know if he did it for selfish reasons, don't know if he did not go any further due to being told not to by his superiors or if he just had a lapse in judgement.

Let's say you worked for someone. You find out that one of your co-workers was molesting a child.
You tell your boss about the incident. The boss fires the co-worker. But the boss did not contact the police about the situation.
Then later you see that employee come back to the work place on occasion. Even if they are not employed there any longer they did come back to the company grounds in some fashion for other things.

I think it would be time that since the boss did not call the police, and the boss is aware that the employee has some kind of ties (even if not directly employed there) but still comes around on occasion...I think it is time to get the police involved.

You might get a pass (I really don't think so) for not reporting it to legal authorities the first time...But without a doubt not the second time.

I think Joe is a good guy. I just think he did not go far enough and could have done more.

I can also imagine that whether he is legally culpable or not, the parents of those individuals raped and molested, and the victims themselves, doubt he did enough.

From Joe's own press release...

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

Look. No question he should have gone to the cops himself. No one is saying differently. The cops however did know about allegations as far back as 1998 and THEY did nothing. Joe followed the guidelines laid out by the university. Was that sufficient? No. But for someone to call him a selfish SOB is absurd and frankly reek with ignorance. I know the man personally. I have had the opportunity to spend time with him on a one on one basis. I KNOW that he is the farthest thing than what is being portrayed in the media and on this forum.

Like I said, he should have done more, but it doesn't change the things he has done over the 84 years of his life for people.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's an important distinction between what's legal, and what's moral.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4233675 said:
Look. No question he should have gone to the cops himself. No one is saying differently. The cops however did know about allegations as far back as 1998 and THEY did nothing. Joe followed the guidelines laid out by the university. Was that sufficient? No. But for someone to call him a selfish SOB is absurd and frankly reek with ignorance. I know the man personally. I have had the opportunity to spend time with him on a one on one basis. I KNOW that he is the farthest thing than what is being portrayed in the media and on this forum.

Like I said, he should have done more, but it doesn't change the things he has done over the 84 years of his life for people.

Unreal! Bet you would be singing a completely diff tune if it had been one of your kids.

Since it wasn't...

Go JOPA!!!

Disgusting!

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Dallas;4233664 said:
The guy was a selfish SOB in this case. Say I am wrong all you want, but its true.

And Cajun...in this case right here. I kinda know what it smells like.

I could care less what he did over the years at Penn State. He flushed that all down the toilet when he didn't do more in this case.

Protect him all you want, but the facts are he could have and should have done more to stop it.

Strange you would protect that man so rabidly. You attack me yet claim earlier this was all about his image and reputation.

WELL DUH!!!! Thanks for stating my point again.

Creepy bro...

Again, you are talking out of your arse. As I said, he should have one to the cops himself. He didn't. But he did report it. He didn't cover anything up. But people like you like to find the one guy you know something about and make him the poster boy for the act and you talk like he did the act himself. And I was referring to the media and people who have a hate on for Penn State who want to destroy his reputation and legacy, not Joe.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Idgit;4233679 said:

Hello!! Took it out of the park. My thoughts EXACTLY, Idgit!

Well said.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Idgit;4233679 said:

I absolutely agree. What's the point? That he should have went to the cops? That's what i have said as well. Paterno even said so. This has nothing to do with people calling him selfish when they don't know what they are talking about.

Stautner

Reaction score
Idgit;4233679 said:

There was nothing amoral about reporting it to the university. How he handled it AT THE TIME, should neither be questioned for legality or morality. His shortcoming was in not following up to make sure the university did their part, which should have been to report it to the police and to appoint someone to investigate it internally. Paterno was probably innocent in a lot of things, but he should have been aware the universtity didn't take steps to ensure Sandusky faced the music and was stopped, and he shouldn't have allowed it to die like that. McQueary shouldn't have as well.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Stautner;4233702 said:
There was nothing amoral about reporting it to the university. How he handled it AT THE TIME, should neither be questioned for legality or morality. His shortcoming was in not following up to make sure the university did their part, which should have been to report it to the police and to appoint someone to investigate it internally. Paterno was probably innocent in a lot of things, but he should have been aware the universtity didn't take steps to ensure Sandusky faced the music and was stopped, and he shouldn't have allowed it to die like that. McQueary shouldn't have as well.

That is what everyone has been saying. For crying out loud. You people need to slow the frick down and read the posts.

You don't think the guy showing up in the facilities day in and day out never once showed JoPA the U didn't follow up on its responsibility?

So Jo gets a pass because he reported it and the Univ chose to ignore it thus Jo should ignore it.

The defense is laughable.

Rogah

Reaction score
Is that the standard we're holding someone to? There was a vicious rapist child-predator in his midst, and we're supposed to be happy that he did the absolute bare minimum required by law?