Penn State Head Coach Joe Paterno FIRED *SuperMerge*

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Problem is JoePa never really saw what happened, he just heard it. What more do we have to do when we hear a rumour than what he did?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;4233808 said:
There is circumstantial evidence that Paterno knew something in 1998. Why else tell Sandusky that he would never be the HC at PSU?

That's the one right there.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Dallas;4233664 said:
The guy was a selfish SOB in this case. Say I am wrong all you want, but its true.

And Cajun...in this case right here. I kinda know what it smells like.

I could care less what he did over the years at Penn State. He flushed that all down the toilet when he didn't do more in this case.

Protect him all you want, but the facts are he could have and should have done more to stop it.

Strange you would protect that man so rabidly. You attack me yet claim earlier this was all about his image and reputation.

WELL DUH!!!! Thanks for stating my point again.

Creepy bro...

You really need to let all the facts come out before you have your mind made up for you be some mediots.

There's a reason that the AG is lauding his cooperation....ever wonder how they thought of questioning McQueary in front of the grand jury?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
joseephuss;4233808 said:
There is circumstantial evidence that Paterno knew something in 1998. Why else tell Sandusky that he would never be the HC at PSU?

head-in-the-sand.jpg

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
You can't extrapolate that JoePa knew because he told the sexual deviant he wouldn't be head coach. There could be a million reasons, one of which could be that JoePa never wanted to retire.

joseephuss

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4233835 said:
You can't extrapolate that JoePa knew because he told the sexual deviant he wouldn't be head coach. There could be a million reasons, one of which that JoePa never wanted to retire.

Oh, yes I can and I do. I can extrapolate just fine.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4233814 said:
You really need to let all the facts come out before you have your mind made up for you be some mediots.

There's a reason that the AG is lauding his cooperation....ever wonder how they thought of questioning McQueary in front of the grand jury?

One doesn't need mediots. Read the Grand Jury report and it becomes quite clear.

Furthermore, as this thing has gone along and the more Paterno and the school let out...the worse and worse it looks.

I think many people are blinded by Paterno's coaching credentials and don't see that the stuff he did for the university was to bolster his own legacy more than to actually help people.

His apologists have bragged before this incident and even during this incident that he 'is Penn State' and is 'a God.' They've claimed that those are the reasons he wouldn't be fired and that's why he is supposedly such a good person. But, once that doesn't fit their support of him, they start claiming that this alleged 'God' is just a mere powerless old man.

YR

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
As a PSU grad, I feel JoePa has coached his last game. "His" terms are he's retiring at the end of the year. It's not fair to the current players to have to deal with the upcoming media frenzy. Why give a man a farewell tour? I'm embarrassed as a graduate.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
thebigeasy88;4233872 said:
As a PSU grad, I feel JoePa has coached his last game. "His" terms are he's retiring at the end of the year. It's not fair to the current players to have to deal with the upcoming media frenzy. Why give a man a farewell tour? I'm embarrassed as a graduate.

why would you be embarrassed, you did nothing wrong

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4233858 said:
but is that fair?

It may be fair.

If one cannot extrapolate situations, we would have a hard time convicting a lot of people.

Here's what we had in '98:

1. Sandusky was accused of being in a shower with two 10-year old boys and bear hugging one of them.

2. The DA and police do an investigation and Sandusky more or less admits to it.

3. One of the victims (who seem like the only honest people in this entire thing) says that Sandusky was in a meeting with Paterno where he was told he would never be HC at Penn State, shortly after that incident.

4. Sandusky retires.

Could Paterno not have possibly known?

Sure, it's *possible.* But, it's not *likely.*

YR

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4233875 said:
why would you be embarrassed, you did nothing wrong

Should have clarified...I'm embarrassed for my University. Good point...

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Dallas;4233623 said:
I don't know. That PA law is pretty detailed when reporting these crimes. JoPA was pretty lax with trying to get it stopped when he found out about it.

Selfish SOB didn't want to hurt his image or the schools.

Much more important than those children being molested by his ole buddy.

Thinking it had anything to do with his image for him couldn't be more wrong. He's anything but a selfish individual if you actually knew him.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233840 said:
One doesn't need mediots. Read the Grand Jury report and it becomes quite clear.

I think many people are blinded by Paterno's coaching credentials and don't see that the stuff he did for the university was to bolster his own legacy more than to actually help people.

YR

You are a silly, silly person.. and by that i mean a complete fool.

The only thing clear about the grand jury report is that Paterno was told of one incident and went immediately to his superiors with the information and was told it would be taken care of by them. He should have done more in hindsight, but any other conclusions you draw about what he knew, or how long he knew it are pure assumption and speculation.. and you are the ring leader for that on this site right now.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4233810 said:
Not sure why the parallel thread... But like I said in another one, it's incredibly insulting that he'd "decide to retire". He should be fired immediately.

Let's go through what Paterno did.

Mike McQueary and his dad John came to him with a watered down version of what McQueary witnessed.

Paterno notified his immediate superior, the AD, and the management head of the police department as is his legal obligation to do.

He's told several weeks later that it was investigated there wasn't enough evidence. The Second Mile was also told the exact same thing. Also Sandusky is barred from bringing children on campus.

Forward to 2009. A DA approaches Paterno about allegations against Sandusky so he puts McQueary and Curley's name on the radar.

If Paterno did anything wrong or participate in a cover up of abuse, why on Earth would he have exposed the alleged cover up to the grand jury?

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4233886 said:
You are a silly, silly person.. and by that i mean a complete fool.

The only thing clear about the grand jury report is that Paterno was told of one incident and went immediately to his superiors with the information and was told it would be taken care of by them. He should have done more in hindsight, but any other conclusions you draw about what he knew, or how long he knew it are pure assumption and speculation.. and you are the ring leader for that on this site right now.

Man...not disagreeing with anything you said but as a father (if you are) and Paterno is with 19 grandchildren, could you even look at this man in the face? Let alone keep him on your staff for years? I'm pretty sure I would have physically hurt this man and banned him from all PSU football facilities, functions, ANYTHING related to football.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
thebigeasy88;4233892 said:
Man...not disagreeing with anything you said but as a father (if you are) and Paterno is with 19 grandchildren, could you even look at this man in the face? Let alone keep him on your staff for years? I'm pretty sure I would have physically hurt this man and banned him from all PSU football facilities, functions, ANYTHING related to football.

He was banned from the campus, and he wasn't kept on the staff for years.

After the first incident that was reported in 1998, even though Sandusky wasn't found guilty, Joe found out, called him in and said "You will never be the head coach at this university."

He "retired" the next year.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4233890 said:
Let's go through what Paterno did.

Mike McQueary and his dad John came to him with a watered down version of what McQueary witnessed.

Paterno notified his immediate superior, the AD, and the management head of the police department as is his legal obligation to do.

He's told several weeks later that it was investigated there wasn't enough evidence. The Second Mile was also told the exact same thing. Also Sandusky is barred from bringing children on campus.

Forward to 2009. A DA approaches Paterno about allegations against Sandusky so he puts McQueary and Curley's name on the radar.

If Paterno did anything wrong or participate in a cover up of abuse, why on Earth would he have exposed the alleged cover up to the grand jury?

That's the other thing that gets me.. the Second Mile organization was told about several incidents over the years and never did a damn thing either. You'd think at least one person in a chartity dedicated to caring for and helping young boys.. would actually care for the boys.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
joseephuss;4233808 said:

Maybe that's all Paterno had as well. Circumstantial evidence. And if you think abut it. Why would Sandusky leave a meeting that Paterno had just told him he wouldn't be the HC (assuming it was for this reason) and then go hang out with one of his victims and do the very thing that he won't be getting the HC job for? That doesn't even make sense. And we don't know why he told him that. Could have been a football decision as well. Unless we know, we are just speculating.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4233876 said:
It may be fair.

If one cannot extrapolate situations, we would have a hard time convicting a lot of people.

Here's what we had in '98:

1. Sandusky was accused of being in a shower with two 10-year old boys and bear hugging one of them.

2. The DA and police do an investigation and Sandusky more or less admits to it.

3. One of the victims (who seem like the only honest people in this entire thing) says that Sandusky was in a meeting with Paterno where he was told he would never be HC at Penn State, shortly after that incident.

4. Sandusky retires.

Could Paterno not have possibly known?

Sure, it's *possible.* But, it's not *likely.*

YR

You forgot the most crucial element...HE WAS NOT PROSECUTED. Wouldn't that lead a rational person to assume he was falsely accused at the time?