Penn State Sex Abuse Scandal (Indictment Post #144, "Pimping" Allegations Post #442)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Penn State Officials Head to Court Amid Cover-Up Allegations, Sex Abuse Scandal

Published November 07, 2011| Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. – Just hours after stepping down, two high-ranking Penn State administrators face arraignment Monday on charges they lied to a grand jury investigating former defense coordinator Jerry Sandusky and failed to properly report suspected child abuse, a case that has left fans reeling.

Late Sunday, after an emergency meeting of the Board of Trustees, university President Graham Spanier announced that Athletic Director Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the school's senior vice president for business and finance, would be leaving their posts.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/...-allegations-sex-abuse-scandal/#ixzz1d21082p4

This is possibly the worst thing that could happen to College Football. If this is true, it's a sad day indeed.

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...ministrators-charged-at-penn-state/51101298/1

Penn State fallout forces changes

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – The sexual abuse scandal involving a former Penn State football coach has cost a top administrator his job and put another on indefinite leave.

Athletics director Tim Curley is going on administrative leave at his request, according to a statement from the school board of trustees late Sunday. Senior vice president for business and finance Gary Schultz will step down and go back into retirement.

The two face charges they perjured themselves before a grand jury and failed to notify law enforcement authorities of child sexual abuse allegations against Jerry Sandusky, the one-time presumed successor to legendary coach Joe Paterno. Curley and Schultz are expected to turn themselves in to law enforcement in Harrisburg today. The move follows an emergency meeting of the trustees.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4229174 said:
Penn State Officials Head to Court Amid Cover-Up Allegations, Sex Abuse Scandal

Published November 07, 2011| Associated Press

HARRISBURG, Pa. – Just hours after stepping down, two high-ranking Penn State administrators face arraignment Monday on charges they lied to a grand jury investigating former defense coordinator Jerry Sandusky and failed to properly report suspected child abuse, a case that has left fans reeling.

Late Sunday, after an emergency meeting of the Board of Trustees, university President Graham Spanier announced that Athletic Director Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, the school's senior vice president for business and finance, would be leaving their posts.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/...-allegations-sex-abuse-scandal/#ixzz1d21082p4

This is possibly the worst thing that could happen to College Football. If this is true, it's a sad day indeed.

How did I miss this thread? I swear I looked before starting my own. I agree, this is a bad thing to happen to college football and in general.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
This could be the end to Joe Pa as well...

Obviously he knew... he stated as much... and he knew nothing was done about it...

This one is about as ugly as it gets...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I just read the whole Grand Jury Indictment of Sandusky.

WOW.

What a sick pig.

So many times there was a chance to catch this guy or put a stop to it.

People either ignored it...minimalized it...or tried to cover it up.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Cover it up ????????

It is a good thing I didn't know about it or I would have taken him out myself!

Just kidding, but I am so sick of hearing about this type of stuff, and then find out that some other sick scumbag covered up for the perv.

Like with all of the Catholic priests.

I feel that our country needs to make a huge stand on stuff like this. We need to come out and say that anyone capable of molesting our children or raping our women will be wiped out the day after we prove it.

And anyone that takes someone elses child, you will be wisked away, never to be seen or heard from ever again. No mercy, no second chances.

OK, I'm done with my rant, but I am sick of this type of thing happening in our society, over and over and over again, and nothing is being done to stop this garbage and protect our precious children.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4229484 said:
I just read the whole Grand Jury Indictment of Sandusky.

WOW.

What a sick pig.

So many times there was a chance to catch this guy or put a stop to it.

People either ignored it...minimalized it...or tried to cover it up.

√ Ignored it
√ Minimalized it
√ Tried to cover it up

Sweep it under the rug and protect the brand at all costs...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
trickblue;4229515 said:
√ Ignored it
√ Minimalized it
√ Tried to cover it up

Sweep it under the rug and protect the brand at all costs...

One of the Victims was with Sandusky the day that Paterno had a meeting with him in 1999 and told him that he wouldn't be the next Head Coach at Penn St...as he thought he was going to be...and said he was very upset.

Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.

Sandusky retired later that year.

Could you imagine what would have happened if he actually had got the job?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;4229571 said:
One of the Victims was with Sandusky the day that Paterno had a meeting with him in 1999 and told him that he wouldn't be the next Head Coach at Penn St...as he thought he was going to be...and said he was very upset.

Sandusky told the victim not to tell anyone about the meeting.

Sandusky retired later that year.

If true, WHOOPS! Paterno's legacy just burnt to the grown.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Alot of people near me have gone to Penn State. I read the Grand jury report as well and it does not bode well for Sandusky of the PSU brand. They pride themselves on being of high moral character. Paterno only makes 1 million, , etc., etc.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Joe Realist;4229579 said:
Alot of people near me have gone to Penn State. I read the Grand jury report as well and it does not bode well for Sandusky of the PSU brand. They pride themselves on being of high moral character. Paterno only makes 1 million, , etc., etc.

He's going to need an "If it doesn't fit you must acquit" moment to get out of this.

If I'm the prosecutor I don't have him try on the glove.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
trickblue;4229422 said:
This could be the end to Joe Pa as well...

Obviously he knew... he stated as much... and he knew nothing was done about it...

This one is about as ugly as it gets...

I don't think there is any question that Paterno is done.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4229576 said:
If true, WHOOPS! Paterno's legacy just burnt to the grown.

I don't think so. If Paterno steps down now, he will keep his legacy intact IMO. He can say that he reported it and nobody did anything about it. He can say that he took steps to end Sandusky's affiliation with PSU Football, which is true. If he continues on, then he is likely to get drug down as well but if he gets out now, I think he can still keep much of his legacy intact. JMO.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4229609 said:
I don't think so. If Paterno steps down now, he will keep his legacy intact IMO. He can say that he reported it and nobody did anything about it. He can say that he took steps to end Sandusky's affiliation with PSU Football, which is true. If he continues on, then he is likely to get drug down as well but if he gets out now, I think he can still keep much of his legacy intact. JMO.

I don't think so.

If he says "I blew the whistle but nobody heard it", nobody is going to believe that.

Obviously he wasn't reporting it to the right people if that's gonna be his out.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Sandusky, Curley and Shultz should all boil over this. However, Paterno did what he was supposed to do with the authority he had. I fail to see how Paterno did anything to cover up or otherwise help perpetuate the behavior.

According to the story, Paterno is NOT a suspect in anyway and if he was not involved in the cover up, why should his reputation be in danger?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Personally knowing several of the key players involved, I can say that Paterno did nothing wrong. When Mike McQueary and his dad met with him, he didn't give the gory details to Paterno, the same way it would be difficult to discuss this with your grandparents.

Paterno immediately notified his superiors as he was required to do, passing on a severely watered down version that he got.

They waited 10 or 11 days to meet with the McQueary as the version they knew was not that big of a deal.

McQueary then dropped the whole story on Curley at that meeting and Curley went into CYA mode immediately since he knew even then that the wait for the meeting doomed him.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;4229837 said:
Personally knowing several of the key players involved, I can say that Paterno did nothing wrong. When Mike McQueary and his dad met with him, he didn't give the gory details to Paterno, the same way it would be difficult to discuss this with your grandparents.

Paterno immediately notified his superiors as he was required to do, passing on a severely watered down version that he got.

They waited 10 or 11 days to meet with the McQueary as the version they knew was not that big of a deal.

McQueary then dropped the whole story on Curley at that meeting and Curley went into CYA mode immediately since he knew even then that the wait for the meeting doomed him.

Knowing Paterno (And I have had the opportunity to meet with him and spend a few hours one on one with him) this sounds like a more likely scenario with respect to Paterno. I am sure that had Paterno been made aware of the graphic nature of the abuse, he would have pursued it more vigorously.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm from Syracuse. I used to date a girl, who was from a few towns over. I became good friends with her brother. She went to Penn State on an athletic scholarship.

Not to toot my own horn, but she was a very attractive girl and had a lot of the basketball and football players hanging around her all of the time. So, I would go to visit her and wound up hanging around a bunch of the football players.

It was amazing to me what Penn State would cover up. Some very serious crimes here and obvious violations. Drug use that fellow students knew was covered up. Lots of off the field stuff covered up, etc. Saw it with my own two eyes. There was one crime involving one of their prominent athletes that everybody at the school knew about. It was rampant talk between the students and it was pretty obvious that officials and professors knew about it as well. But...it just disappeared because he was a star player.

For years I've been telling people that Penn State was a dirty program. What's odd is that people always rebuked my claims mainly because Penn State is not dirty with relation to boosters. Which I find odd given that many players are poor and when a booster violates rules, it is to help benefit players who make the schools a ton of money and need the money themselves.

What I've learned through this is that booster violations are considered 'dirty' and the other stuff...people just don't see to care too much about.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that ESPN took Paterno to task for an outrageous amount of arrests of his players over a short time for breaking the law. Paterno got upset and claimed that it was a 'witch hunt' on national TV. For whatever reason, ESPN dropped the matter.

So is it surprising to me?

Yes because I didn't think anybody would go THIS far.

But, covering stuff up has been going on for a long time at Penn State. Unfortunately, it took such a heinous crime for the truth to come to light.

One of the things that sticks in my craw about this is that Sandusky is 67 years old. He retired in 1999, at the age of 55 years old. That is actually pretty young to retire for a somewhat prominent assistant coach for a major program.

Those guys typically never retire. They'll either get fired or their contract will not be renewed and they can't find work elsewhere. I want to know why he retired, even if there's nothing behind it.

I still believe you are innocent until proven guilty, but this entire situation is pretty damning of Penn State and Paterno.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4229609 said:

I disagree. Child molestation is something that most people don't want to be anywhere near or affiliated with.

I can't let Paterno or any coach off that easy. McQueary didn't have to be graphic in detail for Paterno to understand what Sandusky was doing.

If I came to you and said 'I saw Sandusky touching this kid in inappropriate places', that's not graphic, but we know it's something extremely serious.

Furthermore...Paterno even stated that McQuery was 'clearly shakened' when he was telling him about the incident. That doesn't make Paterno's story look very good to me.

And Paterno did know of the 'punishment' to Sandusky by the school...he wasn't allowed to bring children with him to the school facilities anymore. He was still allowed to have free access to the school's facilities though.

I think this is going to get really ugly.

YR