Per Fisher, Zeke signing is eminent

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Can we not pretend Zekes ypc hadn't been trending down for years prior?

I'm not against bring him back. I'm against bringing him back as our starter.
I'm against bringing Zeke back.
At this point Zeke is a textbook progress stopper.
And the worst thing is I can't see Jerry will keep him on the roster, bumping some young RB off the season roster. I feel the scenario coming on already. Some young UDFA gets a lot of carries in preseason, looks like he has potential, but he can't make the roster with Zeke here. So we cut him and hope to sneak him on the roster, and another team picks him up.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because you said total nfl stats. Why would that matter? Of course Zeke had the better career, but at this point he is not the better player
A few carries and their yards per carry proves nothing. I prefer SEEING it rather than throw out a single stat. I bet I could get 4 yards on a single carry before I got crushed on the next one. WOuld that make me better than zeke?

A silly analogy, but not really as stats can totally lie, especially one single cherry picked one.

Having said that...I think a combo of both would be adequate, heavier on dowdle, a splash of the RB3 *IF* we fix the oline run blocking and scheme.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Wrong.

Yards per Carry, last year:
Rico - 4.1
Zeke - 3.5

That's just sad. And it gets worse.

This season they're both 1 year older.
Who is more likely to be worse this year - the old guy with more mileage, or the young guy with less mileage?
Pollard averaged 5.5 and 5.2 with double the carries the years before he took the lead gig. He averaged 4.0 last year.

Zeke played on a horrible Patriots offense with no QB. Not saying I endorse the move, but I'm seeing some folks give Dowdle more credit than he's earned. If Zeke is the best option this year, they need to make it happen.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
This current RB room has that Hambrick era feel.
lol Troy Scambrick. One of the worst RBs ever in cowboys history. I never thought I’d say it but it does look like signing Zeke is really on the board for this team. Shocked.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol Troy Scambrick. One of the worst RBs ever in cowboys history. I never thought I’d say it but it does look like signing Zeke is really on the board for this team. Shocked.
Its nuts. The only reason he should be signing is so he can immediately retire a Cowboy.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Some people just see a name and have no idea what year it is.

RBs generally have a shelf life of 4-6 years. We had Zeke for 7 and you could see he was declining those last two seasons.

Now he will be entering year 9. But this is a throwaway season, with lame duck coaches and no real FA activity, so it probably doesn’t matter.

Not sure what the master plan is, if they have one. But one thing is certain, they aren’t really trying to win it all this year.

irishline

Reaction score
A few carries and their yards per carry proves nothing. I prefer SEEING it rather than throw out a single stat. I bet I could get 4 yards on a single carry before I got crushed on the next one. WOuld that make me better than zeke?

A silly analogy, but not really as stats can totally lie, especially one single cherry picked one.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElliEz00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DowdRi01.htm

Come on man. The stats he gave you were accurate for both for the entirety of the season.

Not exactly sure what is cherry picked about the ypc for both backs for last season other than the fact that they show how successful each was for the year (which given we are talking about the upcoming season would be more relevant than a career).

And honestly if you cannot see the regression from Zeke with your own eyes after the past two+ seasons, I don't know what to tell you (and no I am not suggesting Rico is the answer either).

Last edited:

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Combine the existing 2024 dead money hit from Zeke's last contract plus the vet. minimum, and Zeke would count about $7M against the cap.- Just mind boggling. And to think they let a decent contributor like Hankins walk for $2M.