Per Ross Tucker: Some players don't care about making the playoffs

Everson24

Reaction score
I was wondering this myself yesterday. The playoff money is too smalll for todays players and why wouldn't they rather go on vacation rather than work and travel another five weeks. This is why Michael Irvin gave his list of players that didn't care about winning to Jimmy Johnson after his first year as a Cowboy. We need to sweep those type of players out of the locker room after the season but the huge signing bonuses Jerry hands out will prevent it and we will go many more years without a playoff win.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2526939 said:
yea..players crying after a game is sure all about the money.

Someone will spin the TO "thats my QB man" cry after the game into.... "he wanted the playoff bonus money"

:laugh1:

visionary

Reaction score
theogt;2526926 said:
It was on an episode of Inside the Huddle. Romo was telling it as a joke. His delivery and impersonation of Davis made it hilarious. From the sounds of it, he stopped doing the quicksnaps for a little bit.

that should tell you right there what kind of a leader romo is.

ask yourself this: would troy have stopped doing 'quick snaps' just because an OL asked him to if he really felt that was what was needed to keep the defense guessing and give the offense the edge?

not a chance.

that is the difference between troy and romo. both are talented but troy was also a leader. romo is not a leader. he just wants to be one of the guys, he just "wants to have fun". well, sometimes winning requires more than fun, it requires focus, handling stress, overcoming pain.

can he learn to become a leader? we will see. i hope so.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
visionary;2526955 said:
that should tell you right there what kind of a leader romo is.

ask yourself this: would troy have stopped doing 'quick snaps' just because an OL asked him to if he really felt that was what was needed to keep the defense guessing and give the offense the edge?

not a chance.

that is the difference between troy and romo. both are talented but troy was also a leader. romo is not a leader. he just wants to be one of the guys, he just "wants to have fun". well, sometimes winning requires more than fun, it requires focus, handling stress, overcoming pain.

can he learn to become a leader? we will see. i hope so.
Oh, dear lord. It was a joke.

yimyammer

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2526745 said:
I don't know exactly, maybe I just miss the guy that was happy go lucky that didn't hang his head after interceptions, and the guy that wore sweaty hole filled white T-shirts to post game press conferences.

A different guy has emerged, a guy that seems to hang his head and sulk, and worry more about what color suit or dumb looking hat he is going to wear after the game.

Something is different about the guy.

Again, I love Romo, he just needs to get back to what has made him a really good QB.....only he knows what that is.

This bothers me when he acts like this in the game, but I can't imagine it being due to not caring, but some of his actions are mystifying.

The one that I still can't understand was his reaction after Folk made the field goal in Arizona to send the game into overtime. I would love to run into him somewhere and see if he would explain this. I would have been going berzerk, maybe he knew his line was about to get him killed.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
yimyammer;2526982 said:
This bothers me when he acts like this in the game, but I can't imagine it being due to not caring, but some of his actions are mystifying.

The one that I still can't understand was his reaction after Folk made the field goal in Arizona to send the game into overtime. I would love to run into him somewhere and see if he would explain this. I would have been going berzerk, maybe he knew his line was about to get him killed.

Romo might sulk on the sidelines, but when he steps back out inside the white lines, he's back to all business. Then he's having fun again once his teammates get in the endzone.

As long as he brings it when he's out there under center, I'm okay with him being upset about his mistakes on the sidelines.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It happens a lot with large sums of money. As soon as some people get "enough" or more than "enough" they just go through the motions.

Happens to every profession: musicians, writers, engineers, doctors, factory workers, etc.

And each one of goes through this phase at some time in our lives. Only the degree to which we experience it differs.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
TheCount;2526603 said:
It's like any other job, there are some people that bust their butts because they want to get somewhere and see others around them succeed and there are those that have been there for a while and are just coasting till retirement.

I have no doubt there are people on both sides in every lockerroom in the NFL.

Truer words have never been written....:hammer:

boss man

Reaction score
Of course there are players who are not motivated to "work" that extra month unless you REALLY want a ring and believe you have a real chance to get one.

Most teams need a few intense leaders to light a fire under the others' butts.

IMHO three leaders must be the head coach, the QB, and a key starter on defense. You can also have informal leaders in other areas - special teams ace, goal line DT, etc. - that provide motivation and emotion in the locker room or on the sidelines. But without question the top leaders must come from the undisputed positions of LEADERSHIP on the team.

Phillips is NOT a leader. He reminds me of the Amish dude on the Quaker Oats box. He simply is too soft to be HC. Always an excuse for the poor play, always sighing, always shrugging off another lackadaisical effort on the field of competition. DALLAS is a team that MUST have a dictator as HC, a man who intensely hates to lose and will make the tough choices. These players don't need a daddy or a friend as HC - they need one bad *** SOB that will call down the thunder as necessary.

I believe LB James is the emotional leader of the defense. DE Ware is the productivity leader.

So the big issue to me is if Romo is a leader. He has it by default as the QB but IMHO he has not PROVED it in a crunch situation. I tend to agree with those who yearn for the devil-may-care Romo that stepped into the fray in 2006 and early 2007. I want the guy who wore the ragged t-shirt to the press conference. But I also want a man who can stir a team to a come from behind win in the 4th quarter. I want a man who will face down his petulant WR who DARES to imply the QB is creating secret plays with his TE buddy. I want a man as QB who other players will go to the extremes in supporting both ON and OFF the field because they KNOW he will get the job done.

It has to be more than money. It has to be the desire to PROVE beyond any shred of doubt to the REST OF THE NFL that your team is the meanest and toughest team in the league. WE ARE THE BEST. And you prove it for 60 + minutes each game day. Crush all opponents without mercy.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
rosstucker;2526593 said:
Playoff payoff? Some players don't believe the postseason is worth it

Well this is a shocker!:rolleyes:

I mean you can tell that by watching the body language of some players on the field!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
QB9fan;2526736 said:
I know a girl that ran into tony at a gas station close to where they both live after the giant playoff loss last year. She's a fan but someone that tony has spoken to a few times. She told him she was bummed they lost. He replied that it was ok, that now he could worry about other things.

I call BS

yimyammer

Reaction score
theogt;2526926 said:
It was on an episode of Inside the Huddle. Romo was telling it as a joke. His delivery and impersonation of Davis made it hilarious. From the sounds of it, he stopped doing the quicksnaps for a little bit.

What are quicksnaps?

silver

Reaction score
Romo is one of our biggest competitors in our team. I cant believe people are questioning his drive and competitiveness. he's been a winner throughout his life.