Perfect Year to be active in free agency

J12B

Reaction score
If Demarcus Lawrence is resigned, I highly doubt there will be any departing players that will garner a deal resulting in a Comp Pick for the 2020 draft. Possibly Beasley, but he needs to be replaced, since we don't really have a replacement (Tavon Austin hasn't been anywhere near productive as Beasley).

So, why not load up this roster?

In 2020 we have a ton of cap space and a ton of free agents:
La'el Collins
Byron Jones
Maliek Collins
Joe Looney
Xavier Su-a-Filo (he should start at Left Guard to raise his stock value)
Anthony Brown
Antuan Woods

These players could really cash-in during free agency if they have solid 2019 seasons. If so, that means we can load up on Comp picks for the 2021 draft. Maybe a 3rd (Jones or La'el Collins), 4th (Jones or La'el Collins), 5th (Su-a-Filo/Maliek Collins), and a 6th (Looney/Brown/Woods). The front office will have to be extremely stingy next off season if they want to continue to manage the cap conservatively.

Possibly keep a couple of players from that list, but knowing Dak, Lawrence, Cooper, Zeke, and Smith are more than likely getting extensions, it will be tough.

The front office needs to make some noise in free agency this year. They have been conservative enough over the last few seasons to take risks in signing a top free agents.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, since they only have 5 draft picks and no 1st rounder, but I'm still expecting delusional smug satisfaction over the status quo. They're doing a great job. They have amazing talent everywhere.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's been many years since I put together a list of free agent targets. It's a waste of time. They know better. Unless you pay attention to the results.
You are just a bitter person.

I mean, what player wouldn't want to play for Dallas? Star on the helmet? Hello?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I truly hope they take your approach.

Love to get Thomas and Gerald McCoy but I doubt both.

I’ll take Thomas, Tyeler Davison, and Chris Hogan as primary outside signings.

Pants

Reaction score
I dunno, I go back and forth in my head regarding both Thomas and Tate....if Thomas is healthy and has a reasonable cost, sure.....as far as Tate, I assume Beasley won't be here and if so, Tate has that moxie, although it can be irritating to others....but, our team could use a little attitude, especially on offense (maybe to counteract our vanilla head coach)....plus, there is the potential ND connection - perhaps Martin and Smith can keep him in line (I know he never played with them in college, just speculating)

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can expect the usual dross that we sign, laugh whilst the happy clappers laud the moves as top level and then disappear into the background as we cut them in august.

Go jerruh

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can expect the usual dross that we sign, laugh whilst the happy clappers laud the moves as top level and then disappear into the background as we cut them in august.

Go jerruh
What moves did fans “laud as top level” last year?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here but I dont understand all the hand wringing over signing free agents that aren't cowboys.

Right now, DLaw is not on this team for the 2019 season. This team has no major pass rusher. Signing DLaw is signing a free agent, but with the added bonus that he already knows the defense, its coaches, and its players.

I know it's not as exciting as a new hire from another team but signing Dlaw would in fact be signing a high profile free agent at DE.